Key to Rose Bowl Victory

It's just hard for me to understand why he would do that to his teammates. Harmon I would suspect has had a lot of sleepless nights.

Doubtful. He was not an Iowa kid. He was from NJ and had no real love for the University or the state of Iowa. He simply got in too deep with his agent and the Vegas mob. The same guys that later testimony proved threatened to break the hands and knees of other players that signed with other agents. Harmon had already taken over 50 large from Walters (admitted by Harmon) prior to the Rose Bowl and is on record saying "that really isn't much money". I was a college kid in the late 80s and can tell you 50k was most certainly a lot of money. Then and now.

While no one can say exactly what happened that day, it's pretty clear that there are grounds for reasonable suspicion that Ronnie Harmon had financial incentive to make sure Iowa did not win that game. With what Harmon has admitted since, and the pattern of crimes that Walters was later charged with and convicted of, I'd bet my left nut that Harmon threw the Rose Bowl and was paid to do it. Really sad and I hope he has to own up to that awful mistake someday to his teammates, his coaches , and every single fan he screwed ....all for a few bucks.

Latest posts