Key to Rose Bowl Victory

hawkod

Article in today's DM Register recapped Iowa's Rose Bowl performances. Significant statistic was that the Hawks turned the ball over 14 times in their last 3 Rose Bowls.
Ball security=outstanding chance to win.
Can't wait for Friday...will be in midst of Hawkeye fans in Section 14!

They'll need to move the ball and score and keep scoring and.. I'll add...have some innovation here and there ...maybe 4 special plays.

PLEASE NO FUMBLES!!!! No no nooooooooo! Don't want any flashbacks! This is going to be a fumble free Rose Bowl.

Nearly half were courtesy of Ronnie Harmon who clearly had a different agenda that day in Pasadena. It later came out in Sports Illustrated that Harmon admitted he received over $50,000 in cash from agent Norby Walters beginning his Junior season at Iowa. Norby Walters had ties with organized crime that are well documented. Watch the replay of that game and the Harmon fumbles and miscues and you can draw your own conclusions.

They'll need to move the ball and score and keep scoring and.. I'll add...have some innovation here and there ...maybe 4 special plays.

To piggyback off this: ball control, long sustained drives keep MaCcaffrey off the field.....win the time of possession.

Stanford has a lot of their offensive game plan dependent on 1 guy. It's really hard for 1 guy to beat a good Iowa team. He may break a long one but won't do it over and over again. Hawks will end up w more explosive plays bc they can come from so many more places.

Hawk need another great defensive effort taking great angles and sure first time tackling. Do that and mccaffrey might not have a great game. I hope P Parker brings it a little more on passing downs and gets pressure on Hogan.

I agree with posters above that the hawks can also be explosive with multiple receivers and would love canzeri and wadley to hit them fast and Leshun to hit them hard.

Take some deep shots

We can't let them get outside,have to contain McCaffrey,special teams need big day,no turnovers,with long layoff make sure we wrap them up and tackle.Can't wait to get out there,leaving Wed. Hope we don't have any delays at the airport.Go Hawks

We can't let them get outside,have to contain McCaffrey,special teams need big day,no turnovers,with long layoff make sure we wrap them up and tackle.Can't wait to get out there,leaving Wed. Hope we don't have any delays at the airport.Go Hawks

I see you are in Iowa and after this snow storm goes through it looks like no more snow until after you leave. So the roads and runways should be good to go by Weds.

I would say that the Offensive coaching staff needs to let our guys play ball. We attacked MSU deep way too late in the last game. Just don't bumble it up.

Defense needs an MSU like performance. A turd D perf. like Minnesota or Purdue wont get it done. Those were two poor efforts.

Nearly half were courtesy of Ronnie Harmon who clearly had a different agenda that day in Pasadena. It later came out in Sports Illustrated that Harmon admitted he received over $50,000 in cash from agent Norby Walters beginning his Junior season at Iowa. Norby Walters had ties with organized crime that are well documented. Watch the replay of that game and the Harmon fumbles and miscues and you can draw your own conclusions.

Have a childhood friend that started 4 years for the Hawks about a decade prior to Ronnie Harmon being there. Told me he was at an event with many previous players probably 15 years after that Rose Bowl, and witnessed Harmon apologizing to Hayden about what went down. None of this will ever be told in public, so keep that in mind. I can tell you my friend has no axe to grind with Ronnie and has never been one to twist the truth. Doesn't matter at this point anyway.

Have a childhood friend that started 4 years for the Hawks about a decade prior to Ronnie Harmon being there. Told me he was at an event with many previous players probably 15 years after that Rose Bowl, and witnessed Harmon apologizing to Hayden about what went down. None of this will ever be told in public, so keep that in mind. I can tell you my friend has no axe to grind with Ronnie and has never been one to twist the truth. Doesn't matter at this point anyway.

It's just hard for me to understand why he would do that to his teammates. Harmon I would suspect has had a lot of sleepless nights.

Saw too much Old Kirk in the BIG Champ game with the vanilla offense...didn't take many chances in first three quarters and just didn't want to make any mistakes. I get that in a close game, but this team has some weapons and CJ can clearly make plays (T Smith long TD). I think they need to throw the ball to setup the run . MPOD

A very wise man once said that applies here (I paraphrase): The team that scores the most points is probably going to win the game.

But seriously, the biggest weaknesses in Stanford's D is the runs between the tackles and the young secondary that, as a whole, has fewer interceptions than Desmond King has by himself. Power and Iso runs up the middle, then see if they cheat inside and either attack the edges in play action or try to hit the edge with some pin and pull outside runs, or even a jet sweep with Smith or Vandeberg.

On offense, move the strong safety over to spy McCaffery sometimes, limit his touches on the ball and trust that Hogan's long ball accuracy isn't so great.

If they can hold McCaffery to under 150 yards rushing/receiving (along with no big special teams mistakes) they'll win the game.

What worries me is, that the Iowa players get caught up too much in the hoopla and don't focus properly on the game. The Rose Bowl is old hat to the Stanford players, and they will be 100% focused on the game, and none of the pageantry.

Saw people glowing about McCaffery's KOR stats. "Almost 1000 yards!, Wow!"

That tells me the hidden gem: they give up a lot of points.

Article in today's DM Register recapped Iowa's Rose Bowl performances. Significant statistic was that the Hawks turned the ball over 14 times in their last 3 Rose Bowls.
Ball security=outstanding chance to win.
Can't wait for Friday...will be in midst of Hawkeye fans in Section 14!

'sup man !

1248205.jpeg

Saw too much Old Kirk in the BIG Champ game with the vanilla offense...didn't take many chances in first three quarters and just didn't want to make any mistakes. I get that in a close game, but this team has some weapons and CJ can clearly make plays (T Smith long TD). I think they need to throw the ball to setup the run . MPOD

I duno about that count the times Beathard was hurried, hit or sacked. Those were pass plays down field that just never developed.

Latest posts