Kentucky Basketball

Expect them to start losing scholarships if this happens consistently for not meeting the NCAA requirements for graduation rates.

I would feel so dirty having someone like Calipari as our coach.

I agree there is something slippery about the guy. I also heard that Demarcus Cousins has not stepped foot in a classroom this semester. Something should really be done about this.

A couple things:
1. I'm pretty sure players that go to the NBA and don't graduate aren't calculated into graduation rates. For instance, if there are 3 players, 1 graduates, 1 flunks out, and 1 goes to the NBA, then that is a 50% grad rate. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think that is how it works.
2. I honestly don't see Kentucky fans putting up with this for very long. They aren't going to sit around and watch all their players leave year after year when paying that kind of money unless major championships are being won.
3. In the last nine years, Calipari has had his starting point guard leave after his freshman year 4 different times. That is unreal to me. If UK lands Brandon Knight, and I fully expect them to do so, it will likely be five times in ten years after next year.

Couldn't Calipari's recruiting backfire? He has these super underclassman come in and play immediately. Meanwhile the upperclassman sit or see limited action. After three years you are left with just underclassman. If you don't play as a freshman or sophomore you know your sitting on the pines if another super class comes in. It just seems like it opens you up to losing players to transfer or deferring to go elsewhere.

Calipari should not be allowed to coach college basketball. Bobby Knight has said this publicly because he leaves and shortly thereafter his FORMER school goes on probation.

Calipari should not be allowed to coach college basketball. Bobby Knight has said this publicly because he leaves and shortly thereafter his FORMER school goes on probation.

This makes me like Coach Cal even more. Who cares what Bob Knight says? Cal has got it going on and he took a team from the NIT to the Elite Eight. Not a bad job on his part.

This makes me like Coach Cal even more. Who cares what Bob Knight says? Cal has got it going on and he took a team from the NIT to the Elite Eight. Not a bad job on his part.

I'll agree, he can recruit some good athletes, cant complain to much

A couple things:
1. I'm pretty sure players that go to the NBA and don't graduate aren't calculated into graduation rates. For instance, if there are 3 players, 1 graduates, 1 flunks out, and 1 goes to the NBA, then that is a 50% grad rate. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think that is how it works.
2. I honestly don't see Kentucky fans putting up with this for very long. They aren't going to sit around and watch all their players leave year after year when paying that kind of money unless major championships are being won.
3. In the last nine years, Calipari has had his starting point guard leave after his freshman year 4 different times. That is unreal to me. If UK lands Brandon Knight, and I fully expect them to do so, it will likely be five times in ten years after next year.

I think they still have to be in good standing just like transfers. If they fail all of their classes this semester then I think they count against UK.

A couple of the five who declared may be back.

What happened for Kentucky this year was extraordinary. Apart from the Fab Five I don't know that that it's happened before. It's going to be a very rare thing that a program will perform the way this one did with primary reliance on true freshmen. They had two or three future NBA All-Stars among the freshmen. If Kentucky actually had to replace this many players regularly, they would have a problem. However, when your team wins 30+, gets to the Elite Eight and will probably have the talent to do it again in no more than two years, what's not to like as a Big Blue fan?

That is, until the NCAA troubles that follow Calipari begin.

I think they still have to be in good standing just like transfers. If they fail all of their classes this semester then I think they count against UK.

I am pretty sure most guys who declare and actually stay in the draft drop out of school. I thought I saw a rule where if the player declares before April 8th it won't hurt there academic progress rate, and this is why OSU got hurt by Oden and Koufus declaring later in the process.

7 or 8 of the McDonalds AA this week were still uncommitted. Most had Ky and KU on their lists. Cal will just load up with Knight and a few other top 10 players and be right back in the hunt next year. These top players seem to stay unsigned more these days so they can be free agents in the spring. Cal has figured out how to game the new rule,and just have a revolving door from his NBA minor league franchise to the lottery.

Think about this, Cal was hired later than Fran. Cal recruited 3 guys and re-recruited a 4th(orton) to join him in the fall, and they will all be lottery picks. If Fran could bring 3 lottery picks into the fold for next season,he would be a god. Cal is operating at a plane above the rest of college bb with this ky job.

I suspect that Calipari is crooked and I agree with Knight saying that he shouldn't be coaching. Kentucky is going to get burned by having him as a coach in the long run. It is amazing that Kentucky had Horton coming off their bench and he is declaring for the NBA draft as an underclassman.

The fab five looked really great in the past, but we learned that they were recruited outside the rules. The same will happen with Calipari and we will find out someday. Two programs have already been affected by his ways of winning.

Latest posts