Kenny Arnold Passes Away

RIP to a great Hawkeye. Like Waymon Tisdale or Roy Marble life didn't treat him fairly. But he never lost his spirit. When you see people like Kenny battle every day it's easy to see how that 1980 team was able to overcome huge amounts of adversity and make the final four.

I'm going to a big AAU tournament in Madison today and tomorrow. I'll be thinking about Kenny as I watch basketball games.

One of the most underrated Hawkeye ever. Lute got very angry at Al McGuire for suggesting on TV that Kenny need to turn his streetball skills loose in the NCAA.

Hate to be the morbid a-hole, but I thought he had already passed. He was at an event at Carver several years ago and he didn't look great. Full disclosure, from that point on, I didn't pay close attention and had it in my head that he was gone years ago.

By all accounts he was a good person and a good Hawkeye. All those early 80's Iowa teams(basketball and football) are special to me because I was just a kid formulating my fandom.

Hate to be the morbid a-hole, but I thought he had already passed. He was at an event at Carver several years ago and he didn't look great. Full disclosure, from that point on, I didn't pay close attention and had it in my head that he was gone years ago.

By all accounts, he was a good person and a good Hawkeye. All those early 80's Iowa teams(basketball and football) are special to me because I was just a kid formulating my fandom.

What is the criterion of a good person or a good Hawkeye? That he stayed out of trouble (Marble)? He was a fun player and represented the University well. He was unselfish on the court.

I love me some Mr. Forehead. He was such an underrated player. He could do it all...run the point, play the 2, and he played defense. He made the transition from Ronnie Lester to the next year pretty damn easy.

RIP Kenny.

What is the criterion of a good person or a good Hawkeye? That he stayed out of trouble (Marble)? He was a fun player and represented the University well. He was unselfish on the court.

Don't start with me with this. I didn't know him and never met him. I watched him play when I like was 9. By all accounts(and I stated as such) that he was good person and his stats point out he was productive on the court. End- of- story. Don't go getting self-righteous on me and reading into shit that's not even there.

Don't start with me with this. I didn't know him and never met him. I watched him play when I like was 9. By all accounts(and I stated as such) that he was good person and his stats point out he was productive on the court. End- of- story. Don't go getting self-righteous on me and reading into shit that's not even there.
Never forget Kenny working with me at camp - kind and patient.
Waiting to hear Golds personal interaction with Kenny.

Former Hawkeye Kenny Arnold Passes Away

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Former University of Iowa basketball standout Kenny Arnold passed away peacefully early Saturday morning. He was 59 years old.

For 30-plus years, Arnold battled a number of health issues, including a brain tumor and several strokes, which limited his mobility and ability to speak.

Arnold played for the Hawkeyes from 1979-82, helping lead Iowa to its third Final Four in 1980 and a Big Ten regular season championship in 1979.

A three-year starter, Arnold played on four NCAA Tournament teams, Iowa’s 1979 Big Ten championship team, and second place finishes in the Big Ten his junior and senior seasons. Arnold averaged 11.7 points and a team-best 3.9 assists his junior campaign, and 10 points and 2.9 assists his senior year. Arnold was a third-team All-Big Ten honoree his senior year. He ranks 37th in Iowa scoring (1,112) and 10th in assists (352).

Arnold was a sophomore for head coach Lute Olson in 1980, was the glue that held the Hawkeyes together during a magical season that was filled with injuries. All-American guard Ronnie Lester suffered multiple knee injuries, as well as injuries to Bob Hansen, Mark Gannon, and assistant coach Tony McAndrews, who suffered injuries after a small plane crash. Arnold, who played with a broken thumb that season, led the team in scoring (13.5 ppg) and assists (4.3 apg).

Arnold was drafted by the Dallas Mavericks with the 96th overall pick in the 1982 NBA Draft.

“All of us within the Iowa basketball family are deeply saddened to hear the news of Kenny’s passing,” said Iowa head men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the Arnold family. We lost one of the most inspirational players our program has ever had. Kenny always had a smile on his face and cared most about the happiness of others. His spirit and legacy will not be forgotten.”

In 2017, Iowa introduced the Kenny Arnold Spirit Award at its postseason award ceremony. This annual award is presented to the Hawkeye who exemplifies Arnold’s spirit of leadership, character, courage, determination, and poise.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

Kenny was...is a great Hawkeye. I shared a class with him. Not a hint of jock attitude. We had a small group project and he could not have been a nicer guy. Just Kenny.

One can't reflect on his passing without recognizing the strength and brotherhood of Mike "Tree" Henry. He's been Kenny's right hand man for years. I had a chance to talk with Mike at Fry fest last Fall and he too ... so modest, friendly, immensely proud of and loyal to his friend and teammate, Kenny.

RIP Kenny. So sad. But he lived this long because he was a warrior. He was just one of those guys you'll never forget on the court.

19IABball_Arnold_hs.jpg

One of the most underrated Hawkeye ever. Lute got very angry at Al McGuire for suggesting on TV that Kenny need to turn his streetball skills loose in the NCAA.
Lute and Al had a testy relationship, and it didn't get any better when McGuire was clearly a Georgetown cheerleader in that regional final game. Two other factors involved were the fact that 1) they were recruiting competitors and 2) Al and Bobby Knight, another coach Lute didn't particularly care for, were fairly good buddies.

Two banners that were seen at the Philadelphia Spectrum, according to a Dubuque Telegraph-Herald column that I still have in a scrapbook from that year.

"The Hawkeyes are on fire, will someone please tell McGuire"

"Billy Packer has his head up his ACC"

My fave player as a kid. Love ya Kenny!
When he came out for player introductions, he would almost half skip out to center court to fist bump the opponent, like a six year old kid being led onto the court by a Harlem Globetrotter. This was partly because he truly showed joy when he played and partly because he had a bit of a Pearl Washington build-very solid in the rear end and upper thighs. I always thought his slight girth helped him go strong to the basket and hold his own in the lane, similiar to Rodell Davis. He was 210-215 lbs. during his Iowa career. It also helped him as a defender.