Ken O'Keefe Stepping Down as Iowa QB Coach

When is his contract up? (Release mentioned Iowa honoring his contract).

IIRC, the last I saw the position coaches were all on short deals, like a year. Maybe O'Keefe got a better deal due to his tenure and stature within the program, as he was the Offensive Coordinator the last time Iowa won the Big Ten, which was 2004 for those keeping score at home. But a lot of teams go on 18 year droughts.

David Raih is a name on which to keep an eye here.

He was hired as the Vanderbilt OC last winter then demoted to QB coach in August. He resigned last month.

At first blush, it's fair to wonder if being a QB coach at his alma mater would be a step he wants to take. Maybe he would aim higher.

Well, it's late in the hiring process and not sure how many options are out there for him. Plus, KOK was making almost $700K. If Iowa offers Raih something in that ballpark, it would seem on the surface to be a pretty attractive gig.

It seems like people really connected with KOK and almost always had positive things to say about him. But I do wonder how good he was at his job. Our QB play has been so average/mediocre and the quarterbacks just don't seem to develop that well.

I remember an interview with Nate Stanley a few years ago, when he was prepping for the NFL draft process. In that pre-Draft setting with private coaching and a deeper focus on his technical skillset, he said something to the extent of, "I'm adjusting my mechanics and footwork and finding a lot more accuracy now". I interpreted his comments to mean that he's been able to make really subtle changes that have dramatically improved his throwing accuracy. And maybe that's a common thing for someone in his position to say... that he's been working hard and has gotten better.

But it always stuck with me. I felt like those Iowa teams were so close to taking that next step... but they just couldn't quite level-up their offense and find that attacking efficiency. Stanley's accuracy was a big part of that.

Why didn't Iowa's "Pro style" coaches give him this advice? Like... "hey, kid. Your footwork/posture/balance is out of whack and it's causing you to be inaccurate. We need to work on this and improve this part of your technique. Because you're only going to start, you know, 40 career games at QB". Felt like they never had this conversation.

And now we've transitioned to Petras... who is such a similar player to Stanley (they have their differences, for sure). And we're seeing the same exact thing with him. How many times have we seen Petras completely abandon fundamental footwork and rush a throw completely off balance? Often. The result is typically a ball in the dirt and/or over the head of his receiver. Honestly, I don't blame Petras, nor Stanley, because they are talented athletes and strong competitors. Our QBs clearly haven't gotten the right coaching and it's a pattern.

Clearly what we were doing at the QB position was not working. I concur with the post about Stanley. Those comments stuck out at me. A P5 QB position coach should be able to coach a kid up on basic mechanics and footwork. That is, shall we say, his whole fucking job!

I hope KF goes out and finds a true QB teacher. Someone who has played the position in college and at the pro level and who can teach from experience mechanics and reads. Whether it is Drew Tate or someone with that pedigree, I want someone who can make these kids better throwers and readers. Stanley did not get a whole lot better during his three years. He was very good, never great. Petras made little improvement in his second year. Even guys like Tate and Stanzi and CJ actually regressed a bit (some of that was injury). We need new blood, if not at the OC, then at least let's upgrade here. This is welcome news to me.

Dear Average Iowa Fan on the Internet,

Please stop claiming that Iowa QBs have historically regressed as they progress in their careers. This is simply not the case and the numbers have been posted several times on this site.
The only QB to have a meaningful drop in stats was JVB. And that was only because GDGD completely messed things up his senior year.
Tate and CJB had slight drops, but those could be attributed to injuries.

What people think of is the team winning percentage dropping as a QB progresses through their career is analogous to the QBs getting worse, when it could often be attributed to changes in personnel throughout the team.

Signed,
Tired of the Same Old Tropes

We might already have a more than suitable replacement on staff... Copeland. We know he was a former QB. We know he can coach well and coach within this offensive framework.

The question is who could they bring on to coach the WRs? I see this as a better fit for Raih as he has experience coaching the position in the NFL. Or would it be another chance to bring in a younger, energetic coach - say Marvin McNutt?

I only say this because I assume it is going to be easier (for Kirk) to bring aboard an outside WR coach than an outside QB coach. And I only list Marvin because I have no idea who else coaches WRs anymore besides Copeland.

None of those guys are experienced enough other than Long, and he’s been out of the hustle for over a decade. Bob Stoops ain’t talking a job as a position assistant.

They’ll get a guy from a G5 school like normal.
I think Marv Cook would bring a good deal of all around experience. Really successful high school coach. They got Morgan from the High School ranks once from Iowa City West.

He was hired as the Vanderbilt OC last winter then demoted to QB coach in August. He resigned last month.

At first blush, it's fair to wonder if being a QB coach at his alma mater would be a step he wants to take. Maybe he would aim higher.

Well, it's late in the hiring process and not sure how many options are out there for him. Plus, KOK was making almost $700K. If Iowa offers Raih something in that ballpark, it would seem on the surface to be a pretty attractive gig.
Always liked Raih's reputation as a good recruiter. He's certainly well traveled which you think would be a plus. Culture fit will be a key requirement.

Jason Manson recently placed on the staff last year and well regarded by KF . Would fit the cultural fit and familiarity part but might be more valuable in his current role. I'm sure we'll hear many names.............Tim Jenkins, etc., etc.

It's funny. Ken and his son joined our annual father/son Canadian canoe trip back in the summer of '02. Sitting around the fire at one point, I asked if the Raih kid from Edina was gonna be the back-up. I was living in Minneapolis at the time and was aware that he was on the roster as a QB.

KOK kind of scoffed and was like nope, we got this Chandler kid coming in for help. I got the impression that Ken was implying they'd be in a world of hurt if the walk-on QB needed to play. So it appears we might be full circle with Raih potentially replacing KOK. Also, I hope Raih doesn't read this and hold those comments from '02 against Ken and thus turn down the gig.

Incidentally, KOK was/is a good guy. Nothing fat cat about using the miniscule vacation time you have so you can be with your teenage kid, paddling miles a day, carrying a canoe on your shoulders, and getting devoured by insects. I still remember, right before we went off the grid, he made a quick call to Banks (he said he had to call "The Franchise."). He wanted to make sure he had passed his summer school class the day before. Looking back, I wonder what would have happened if Banks hadn't passed. Iowa football might look quite a bit different today.

From chad leistikow

A strong candidate for Iowa as QBs coach is New Jersey-based Tony Racioppi. QB guru who works with Heisman Trophy finalist Kenny Pickett & also has strong ties to the UI staff + Spencer Petras + 2023 4-star dual-threat commit Marco Lainez. Would open up East Coast recruiting too.

Its not clear to me if Tony Racioppi is the same QB guru that worked with Stanley and Petras that is getting all the praise, but the weird thing I wonder about, did Stanley or Petras get any better as QBs after their workouts? If they did then I guess Racioppi deserves all that praise, but in the end, if they did not get better, than whatever he is teaching is not sticking in the long run. But maybe that is good argument he should be the full-time QB coach. Then he can reinforce his teachings every week.

Love Drew Tate but he is nowhere near qualified enough to be a positional coach in P5 football. UNI is the exact kind of place he should be cutting his teeth if he wants to make it to big boy football some day.
I think it'd be ideal if he was to cut his teeth at UNI for awhile. But coaches are getting hired earlier and earlier for everything. He's a year older then McVay who just won the Super Bowl to put this in perspective.

Tates 4 yrs of PT under KF & KOK and taking snaps from BF go towards his resume as well. He did a great job at TN Martin last yr (like 70 miles up the road from me and I didn't even realize he was there it's a solid program)

With KOK staying on the payroll in whatever new capacity he is to me is huge in that he could help groom a guy like Tate for it. Tates passion exuberance is everything we need especially at that position.

Coaching is all about relationships. And a lot of times the interviews are just formalities and that's what it'd be in this case. But since I'm on the bus that Tate would be a great hire for this job in the here and now that's exactly why it probably won't.

From chad leistikow

A strong candidate for Iowa as QBs coach is New Jersey-based Tony Racioppi. QB guru who works with Heisman Trophy finalist Kenny Pickett & also has strong ties to the UI staff + Spencer Petras + 2023 4-star dual-threat commit Marco Lainez. Would open up East Coast recruiting too.
Shouldn't that be a discrediting thing to have on his resume?

Latest posts