Keith Murphy's interview with Chris Doyle

Yeah, I agree with all that. Realizing some kids need to be handled differently than others is one characteristic of a great coach (or leader, manager, etc.). It doesn't mean they necessarily need special accommodations. But the end goal for both player and coaches is to maximize the athlete's potential. Sometimes it takes problem solving and different approaches to reach peak performance.

It seems like Doyle reflected on that with a little space and time, which is cool. But yeah, to your point, that reflection seems to fall short. Didn't Dolph come right out and say he had some hard conversations with good friends after his King Kong comparison, plus went through some education, and learned about implicit bias?

We are all on our own journeys of self awareness. I would have found the interview more compelling if Doyle would have swallowed hard and described some tough conversations he had with black players since his departure...maybe some incidences where there is great mutual respect, but upon his request, he got some feedback that was tough for him to hear but important nonetheless. Maybe those conversations haven't happened. I'd think those would be important for reflection and growth.
Doyle seems to be one of those guys who has an almost impossible time saying he was wrong because it’s to him a show of weakness and shows a lack of awareness, which he can’t do. I think he feels like the lesser of the two evils is for him is to admit shortcomings in his training style but die on the hill of never allowing himself to admit any racial bias period. Whether intentional or not.

That’s where it falls short for me.

Doyle seems to be one of those guys who has an almost impossible time saying he was wrong because it’s to him a show of weakness and shows a lack of awareness, which he can’t do. I think he feels like the lesser of the two evils is for him is to admit shortcomings in his training style but die on the hill of never allowing himself to admit any racial bias period. Whether intentional or not.

That’s where it falls short for me.

I appreciate everyone else's comments.

I would just add that one thing that this does show is that if you are a general asshole to those around you, that tends to come back and bite you in the ass. Whether you want to call that Karma or Zen or whatever. The golden rule applies. When you treat others like shit, you might get wrongfully accused of being a racist, or a bully, or sexist, or bad at your job, or a host of other things that separates you from your job. If you treat your employees, or in this case, student athletes, with dignity and respect, the odds of someone accusing you of wrongdoing drop dramatically.

I don't know whether he was racist or not, but in a sport made up of majority black athletes, being a universal jerk may lead to the perception from some minority players that his jerkiness had a racial component. Once that is put out there, its hard to put back in the bottle these days.

I have zero sympathy for this guy. Be a better human and this never would have happened. Same for guys like Bobby Knight. That sort of asshole could, unfortunately, exist in high school and college in the 80s and 90s. Times have changed. For the better.

I would just add that one thing that this does show is that if you are a general asshole to those around you, that tends to come back and bite you in the ass. Whether you want to call that Karma or Zen or whatever. The golden rule applies. When you treat others like shit, you might get wrongfully accused of being a racist, or a bully, or sexist, or bad at your job, or a host of other things that separates you from your job. If you treat your employees, or in this case, student athletes, with dignity and respect, the odds of someone accusing you of wrongdoing drop dramatically.

I don't know whether he was racist or not, but in a sport made up of majority black athletes, being a universal jerk may lead to the perception from some minority players that his jerkiness had a racial component. Once that is put out there, its hard to put back in the bottle these days.

I have zero sympathy for this guy. Be a better human and this never would have happened. Same for guys like Bobby Knight. That sort of asshole could, unfortunately, exist in high school and college in the 80s and 90s. Times have changed. For the better.

The sport is made up by a majority of black athletes. However, the racial makeup of the Iowa roster in most years is around 50/50. It may skew 60/40 one way or the other occasionally, but normally it is around a 50/50 split.

Not sure if that supports your argument or counters it I am just throwing it out there.

+1

If he could give up an ounce of his pride and admit he might have a chance at redeeming what’s left of his career. I honestly think he believes that nothing he did could’ve been perceived as racially biased, and if that’s what he really believes he’s not going to admit it.

At this point I’m over it. He’s sleeping in the bed he made and both he and Iowa seem to have both moved on. It’s not something that’s keeping me up at night for sure.

Latest posts