Keeping Lick

westview

I know Barta may be a ways off from hiring a coach, but I think keeping Lick would be a better option than some of these guys. I am not upset, but there are several names listed that would upset me it they were hired. I think Barta will be involved with bigger names, anyway I sure hope so.

Its just not a good fit. Keeping him would keep us in the opposite direction. If no change was made for next season, imagine the attendence numbers. They woudl have to let people in for free just to have someone watch it! It was just a fail.

I know Barta may be a ways off from hiring a coach, but I think keeping Lick would be a better option than some of these guys. I am not upset, but there are several names listed that would upset me it they were hired. I think Barta will be involved with bigger names, anyway I sure hope so.

Lick already had proven he can't do it at Iowa, so we at least have a puncher's chance at getting someone who can. If TL was here we would know what we are getting next year and no one wants it.

john-mcenroe.jpg

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

Frankly anyone on any list will be at least as good as Lick was at Iowa. He gave up in alot of ways.

Until the last couple of games of the year I was in the keep Lick group....after getting blown out and looking like they weren't trying was the final straw for me....The future looked much brighter but we will never know how bright. I have faith in Barta to bring in "the right guy" this time around or it will be his head. The program itself IMO is more appealing then it was 3 years ago. The roster is more complete with a brand new practice facility on the way. Those are some huge selling points for Barta to use.

Lick....LOL... We bought the flavor of the month and it tasted like crap.

With that said, if the best coach we can get comes from another mid-major that has limited head coaching experience then we should have kept him around for another year (think Dr Toms lame duck status) while the AD and the search firm go out and find the right fit. We would have saved $600k and the facilities would have been done.

I'm not saying it was necessarily a bad move firing him. But it appears at this point that Barta didn't have a plan in place and that just pisses me off to no end.

Regardless of whether or not these are better coaches than Lick, if there was any truth to the rumors that more players would be leaving, Barta's hand was forced. It needed to be done.

Keeping Lick was NOT an option. Even the worst names I have heard are better than going through another year with lickliter. Avg attendance next year with Lick could have fallen to around 4,000 per game and Barta would have received so many negative emails that his computer would have exploded. We also may have lost Gatens and A. Fuller if Lick would have been retained. Barta HAD to make the move. I too hope for a bigger name, but even Boylen or Gregory are better options than keeping Lick for 10-11 season.

the OP only makes sense if people were hoping to push lick out the door because they thought it would make room for bruce pearl or someone else of that caliber was dying to take the iowa job. from the gigantic "phbbbt" sound made on this board when every realistic candidate is discussed, it seems like there were a lot of people who thought that way. that was just plain wishful thinking. the iowa job has to be one of the worst big-6 conference jobs out there right now: poor facilities, poor attendance, high fan expectations, and three coaches in 11 years (i know we all hate hearing that, but that's how the program is perceived). iowa is not going to land a big fish unless he is damaged goods-- tim floyd is probably a good example of this type.

the reason to fire todd lickliter is not because bruce pearl was begging to replace him. it was because he presided over the worst 3-year stretch of iowa basketball history, and the worst part of those three years was probably the last 10 games or so-- not exactly promising for the future.

any fans who think we are going to bring someone in who will turn this thing around right away should prepare to be disappointed. if we can get someone who shows some personality, gives his players a little more freedom to create, and shows he can recruit, that's all we can hope for. but i'm not going to expect sellouts at carver or a 20-win season. not next year. probably not the year after, either. the only thing that matters is that once the coach gets us headed in the right direction, we keep moving down that road. it is NOT going to be a fast process, and this was a trade-off for firing lick. but i'd rather be on a slower train to somewhere good than one headed straight for irrelevance.

I truly believe that Lick had another year coming until some of the players expressed that they wanted a new coach. Attendance was down but I think the athletic dept. could deal with that with all the success and money the football program is brining in for one more year. I thought next year would be the year, but when players started to express their discontent with Lick.... something had to be done.

Barta was forced to make the move and rightfully so.

I truly believe that Lick had another year coming until some of the players expressed that they wanted a new coach. Attendance was down but I think the athletic dept. could deal with that with all the success and money the football program is brining in for one more year. I thought next year would be the year, but when players started to express their discontent with Lick.... something had to be done.

Nailed it.

I agree. I also think Lick knew before his final game and that is where the zone and trapping came into play after they began to get smoked in the first half.

Latest posts