Keep the Starting 5

NikeHawk21

I think the expectation is for CJ to return for Saturday’s game. My thought is we should keep the same starting group we’ve had the last three games.

This group has played well, 8-0 start at Minny, monster start of game against OSU, and really good start at MSU.

CJ gives you a little pop off the bench. Kriener protects Garza from foul trouble I think as well. I still want CJ to get as many minutes as he can handle going forward but for now I’d actually lean towards bringing him off the bench.

With Pemsl playing a bit better coming off the bench, I am less worried about Kreiner starting and getting into foul trouble. I agree that having Kreiner start allows him to guard the toughest big for the opponent and keeps Garza away from that early cheap foul. Kreiner has also demonstrated he is a worthy starter/6 man in this conference.

That said, CJ has earned the starting role and lots of coaches want to reward those early efforts by sliding the starter back into his role when he recovers from injury. Also, if his ankle is still a bit sore, you may want to get him going right away rather than sit him for 10 minutes after warming up.

I think the expectation is for CJ to return for Saturday’s game. My thought is we should keep the same starting group we’ve had the last three games.

This group has played well, 8-0 start at Minny, monster start of game against OSU, and really good start at MSU.

CJ gives you a little pop off the bench. Kriener protects Garza from foul trouble I think as well. I still want CJ to get as many minutes as he can handle going forward but for now I’d actually lean towards bringing him off the bench.
I get it, but CJ is our 3rd best player. 2nd best if Wieskamp keeps struggling. If you keep Kriener in the starting lineup, you gotta bring Joe T off the bench. I know you hate that idea, but it's better than bringing one of your best guys off the bench.

I get it, but CJ is our 3rd best player. 2nd best if Wieskamp keeps struggling. If you keep Kriener in the starting lineup, you gotta bring Joe T off the bench. I know you hate that idea, but it's better than bringing one of your best guys off the bench.
I think it’s a valid point about CJ being a top 3 player but like I said I still want him to get as many minutes as he can handle. He will be an early sub I just like what that starting group has brought early in the last three games and the ability to protect Garza a little bit from an early foul.

Penn State isn’t the greatest matchup though because we don’t have a player on our roster who matches up with Stevens, so probably going to have to zone.

I feel like, personally, CJ is coming back to a better team if that makes sense? The other guys have really stepped up and they weren't necessarily as consistent before CJ went down. The staff has really coached these guys up - they are all believing and bought in and now guys who probably thought they would be an afterthought early in the year are playing major minutes and thriving. IMO CJ comes back to a better team. I just think we need him back to give another body so guys can get more blows. I would be fine with him coming off the bench.

I think it’s a valid point about CJ being a top 3 player but like I said I still want him to get as many minutes as he can handle. He will be an early sub I just like what that starting group has brought early in the last three games and the ability to protect Garza a little bit from an early foul.

Penn State isn’t the greatest matchup though because we don’t have a player on our roster who matches up with Stevens, so probably going to have to zone.

The problem with getting a bunch of minutes from the bench is you're pretty much packing your minutes into a 30 minute time frame instead of a 40 minute timeframe. Sitting on the bench for the first 5 minutes of each half doesn't really count for getting a breather. To get 30 minutes a game, you pretty much need to play 15 straight minutes each half. Not the hugest deal, but its something to consider. Also, while a agree our team has done great at getting off to fast starts, I'd still say the best odds of getting off to a fast start is having your best players in the game. Do we have better odds of having a fast start with the guys we've used the past 3 games? Possibly because they are building confidence in that regard and confidence is huge. But I would still lean towards the better players having a better chance. I could possibly be swayed the other way on that tho.

The problem with getting a bunch of minutes from the bench is you're pretty much packing your minutes into a 30 minute time frame instead of a 40 minute timeframe. Sitting on the bench for the first 5 minutes of each half doesn't really count for getting a breather. To get 30 minutes a game, you pretty much need to play 15 straight minutes each half. Not the hugest deal, but its something to consider. Also, while a agree our team has done great at getting off to fast starts, I'd still say the best odds of getting off to a fast start is having your best players in the game. Do we have better odds of having a fast start with the guys we've used the past 3 games? Possibly because they are building confidence in that regard and confidence is huge. But I would still lean towards the better players having a better chance. I could possibly be swayed the other way on that tho.
I’m not quite certain CJ is going to be ready to handle 30 minutes just yet anyway. Also I’m not saying he can’t start the 2H of the games, no rule that says you have to start the same group in the 2H.

The more I think about it Minny, OSU, and MSU are just good matchups for that starting group we have because they all have two bigs, with one of them being a lessor scoring option. That allows Garza to have less defensive responsibility when Kriener starts and I think it helped in those particular games. Different teams might have different matchups though.

Interesting idea. If Kreiner and Pemsl are playing well I'm ok with it. I doubt that's how Fran will go. But I could see the upside of that. Either way I doubt CJ will play heavy mins right away when he's back. Man do we need him.

CJ came back after the stress reaction (and missing the Nebraska and Maryland games) and played 31 minutes vs Northwestern. Tied for 2nd most on the team. If he's cleared, I hope he starts and plays a lot.

My vote for having CJ start is to hopefully get JW back on track. That dude hasn't been right since CJ went down which caused all the backcourt attention to go to him. JW is a better player as a compliment. He can't yet handle the pressure of being "the guy" on the outside...either mentally or physically.

I do like what Kriener brings in terms of defense at the basket, though. But at home, defense isn't as paramount....so I vote for having CJ start if he's cleared.

I’m not quite certain CJ is going to be ready to handle 30 minutes just yet anyway. Also I’m not saying he can’t start the 2H of the games, no rule that says you have to start the same group in the 2H.

The more I think about it Minny, OSU, and MSU are just good matchups for that starting group we have because they all have two bigs, with one of them being a lessor scoring option. That allows Garza to have less defensive responsibility when Kriener starts and I think it helped in those particular games. Different teams might have different matchups though.
Fran did say it doesn't make sense to play him if he can only play 15 minutes. He's not going to play until he's ok to play. I take that as if he's in the game, he's capable of playing 30.

I don’t care who starts...not at all. We have 8 guys that know and accept their roles and are totally connected...working together toward a common goal. Fran’s been pushing the right buttons IMO. These guys are going to play hard and compete regardless of role.

Side Note - I’m really enjoying Kriener’s solid season. He put in the time and work and is seeing the payoff. Well done Ryan!

I don’t care who starts...not at all. We have 8 guys that know and accept their roles and are totally connected...working together toward a common goal. Fran’s been pushing the right buttons IMO. These guys are going to play hard and compete regardless of role.

Side Note - I’m really enjoying Kriener’s solid season. He put in the time and work and is seeing the payoff. Well done Ryan!
Kriener is kinda unlucky with his years at Iowa. He could have been a 3 year starter some years. When is offense gets going, he really gets going. It would probably happen more often with more guaranteed minutes

Most decent seasons that Iowa has had w/ Fran, Iowa has a role player SR who steps up, contributes and plays like a SR. It's almost like a main ingredient for this program's success over the years. Baer, Clemmons, Olseni, Basabe etc.... the years it hasn't been so good? SR's were Dale Jones once and Dom Uhl another time.

I'd actually start Evelyn, then have CJ and Joe T come in for the early substitution, taking out FMac's choice between Kriener or Joe W, along with Evelyn. Keeping CMac in allows some assistant floor leadership It gives Joe T a chance to see the flow of the game, and bringing in CJ at the same time gives an energy boost to both team and fans.

For the sake of JW sanity no way, CJ needs to get back on the court and into the Starting Lineup.
That’s another fair point I would say. CJ can help Joe get going we hope. To be honest though there were games Joe struggled that CJ was playing too (At Michigan, San Diego State, at Purdue). There was also a game when CJ sat and Joe went off (26 vs Maryland at home). I think a lot of Joe’s issue right now is lacking confidence.

If we did bring CJ off the bench I’d get him in there pretty quickly though.

My vote for having CJ start is to hopefully get JW back on track. That dude hasn't been right since CJ went down which caused all the backcourt attention to go to him. JW is a better player as a compliment. He can't yet handle the pressure of being "the guy" on the outside...either mentally or physically.

I do like what Kriener brings in terms of defense at the basket, though. But at home, defense isn't as paramount....so I vote for having CJ start if he's cleared.

I am in this camp solely on how it affects JW. Dakich did a great job of explaining how CJF’s ability to cut and move without the basketball free(s) up JW. If JW was in a better place I wouldn’t care.

Someone mentioned it above that Kriener in the first part of the game can guard the other big guy and try to keep Garza from getting a stupid early foul.

Need Garza to stay out of foul trouble for sure and that means him not making stupid fouls setting moving screens which he seems to get at least one a game.

I would be for using the same starting 5 and using CJ in a 5-8 minute stretch where Kriener and then late JW go out in either order. Depending on when Fran first subs out Garza you want kreiner to be in the game when Garza in out.

Latest posts