Kansas Player: UNI is not better than us

Who was the Kansas player who layed on the floor for an "hour"after the game was over?

Mario Little. I'll give him a little bit of slack because he's a senior. But my thought at the time was "this kid sure as hell better be a senior, cause he didn't even play". On the other hand, if Sherron Collins isn't making a scene, then maybe you shouldn't either.

If they're so great they should have been able to show up and win. Kansas never led after the first minute. They gambled with pressure to make it close, but they got beat. No matter how much talent they have or how many games they won, UNI was the better team for the 40 minutes that count.

The fans dismissing it are more bothersome to me then that player's quote.

That quote wasn't classy, but understandable. Saw in the paper today his teamate Tyrel Reed said, "I don't think we overlooked them at all. I think we knew what they were capable of. They're just a great all around team. Give a lot of credit to Northern Iowa."

If they're so great they should have been able to show up and win. Kansas never led after the first minute. They gambled with pressure to make it close, but they got beat. No matter how much talent they have or how many games they won, UNI was the better team for the 40 minutes that count.

The fans dismissing it are more bothersome to me then that player's quote.

That quote wasn't classy, but understandable. Saw in the paper today his teamate Tyrel Reed said, "I don't think we overlooked them at all. I think we knew what they were capable of. They're just a great all around team. Give a lot of credit to Northern Iowa."

They overlooked UNI, at least in the beginning. I think they snapped out of it after the timeout called when UNI went up 10-2, but UNI's defense was just stiffling and confusing for Kansas to figure out.

So yes, Kansas was overlooking them, for about 5 minutes. But even when they decided to try and play for real, UNI was still the better team that night.

I live in KC and there was no way KU overlooked UNI. They knew everything about them except how to pronounce their names. UNI dominated that game start to finish. Had the refs not allowed KU to push UNI around a little with that press, it never would have been very close. Jacbosen outcoached Self and it wasn't even close!

I live in KC and there was no way KU overlooked UNI. They knew everything about them except how to pronounce their names. UNI dominated that game start to finish. Had the refs not allowed KU to push UNI around a little with that press, it never would have been very close. Jacbosen outcoached Self and it wasn't even close!
I live in Des Moines and there is no way Bush was wrong about Saddam hiding WOMD

Anybody that doesn't think KU is better than UNI is just delusional and does not watch any basketball. Yes UNI beat them fair and square (in 1 game) and that's what makes this tournament so Great. UNI was very poor at shooting 3's this year and yesterday they were on fire. All year KU shot the 3 and yesterday - nothing. When UNI runs into another team that is far and away better than they are and those 3's don't go down, UNI will have a big problem. Yesterday it worked for them and they were able to play loose and free because they had nothing to lose. KU was on top and that is completely different playing from that vantage. Thats what makes sports so great -- no way UNI can beat KU - But - they did.

Go Panthers!

I've said this before as a hawkeye fan.isu wasn't as good as iowa the year seneca made a deal with the devil the 2002 season.uni was better last night n that's all that counts.if u think uni is actually better than ku u r crazy. Uni stepped up! Give them credit for beatin a team they had no business beating.

yes marcus, you are better than uni, and yes you are both going home, the difference is uni is going to st. louis next week and you are not. guess you should have played a little better and maybe you would have been the ones going to st. louis. I guess now you can stay home and review the book of how to be a good sport when you get your butt kicked.

That's nothing compared to what Hobson said after the New Mexico loss last night.

Not an exact quote but pretty close:
"They played the game of their life. They aren't even a good team"

Now that is classless. Saying you are a better team is probably something you shouldn't say, but saying the other team isn't even a good team is another level. I can't stand watching Hobson and it has absolutely nothing to do with the coach.

This is Hobson's quote from the ESPN article:

"They played the best game of their life tonight," Hobson said. "They're not even that good. They just played a good game tonight. We weren't ready, and they beat us."

Stay classy Hobson. Then again, he gets to learn from the best.

Anybody that doesn't think KU is better than UNI is just delusional and does not watch any basketball. Yes UNI beat them fair and square (in 1 game) and that's what makes this tournament so Great. UNI was very poor at shooting 3's this year and yesterday they were on fire. All year KU shot the 3 and yesterday - nothing. When UNI runs into another team that is far and away better than they are and those 3's don't go down, UNI will have a big problem. Yesterday it worked for them and they were able to play loose and free because they had nothing to lose. KU was on top and that is completely different playing from that vantage. Thats what makes sports so great -- no way UNI can beat KU - But - they did.

Go Panthers!

You said that UNI is a poor 3 point shooting team and won because they were "On fire?" On the year they were 229-643, a 35.6% rate. In the Kansas game they went 9-26, which is only 34.6%

They shot worse from the 3 point line vs Kansas then during the year. Imagine the score if they truly were "On fire?" :)

Not to take anything away from UNI, but the quote was right. UNI is NOT a better team. They happened to be on that night, and give them all the credit. I think Kansas came out flat and with the attitude that they'd roll. UNI came out prepared and let's be honest, they hit just about EVERY shot they needed to. I highly doubt it would happen again, but that's not the way the tourney plays out. Congrats UNI.

I live in Des Moines and there is no way Bush was wrong about Saddam hiding WOMD

Considering he used them on his own countrymen, he must have had them at one time or another? You must have watched Greenzone this weekend?

Anyway, I digress back to the relevant conversation of basketball, particularly KU vs. UNI. Self was on the news and in the paper talking about the matchup with UNI. KU had plenty of bulletin board material saying how UNI would be a tough out for them. Self showed nothing but respect for the players and Jacobsen and the season UNI had put together. Believe what you want, but KU was ready. They were just outplayed the entire game.

Latest posts