JVB's Mechanics

WinOneThisCentury

Did they change his motion? It doesn't have the same look and I'm curious if that is the source of the inaccuracy. I know we are having issues with our WR being in sync with him and therefore the poor targets, but he is no where near as accurate as he was last year. He used to have a slower, more deliberate motion, with a little lean forward when he was throwing...but he was accurate. He is now more upright, but it appears his footwork is out of sorts and he's not as accurate.

I hope to god they spend these two weeks solely on the passing game. We are a decent passing game away from having being a very good offensive football team.

Not sure what the guys who fix his car have to do with his throwing motion. Or is this just a creative way to spread the blame around for JVBs ineptitude?

4 years = 7 step drop. New offensive system = A bunch of 2-5 step drops.

this definitely has a lot to do with it. folks don't realize how hard it is to unlearn and relearn a new system.

but also, his footwork yesterday was terrible. i specifically was looking for it and many, many times he threw off his back foot. he also is showing that he really is unable to put any touch on the ball. that pass over the middle to CJF is the perfect example. if that was anywhere close, it would have been a penalty, but he just zinged it way over the top. lots of out patterns either way out of bounds or behind the receivers.

i love the 80 mph fastballs by the WR heads on 5 yard slant routes, i think its so cool that we have the hardest throwing QB in college football history

Podolak talked a lot about JVB's drops yesterday. I opened the show with one criticism of JVB, and that was that his footwork yesterday looked as poor as I have seen him look. Ed agreed, and said that KOK was all 7 step drops..or mostly. Davis is 3 and 5 step drops. You practice 7 step drops for four years and go to something like three or five steps for one year, it's a big change..possibly a bit like being told you have to play left handed.

... You practice 7 step drops for four years and go to something like three or five steps for one year, it's a big change..possibly a bit like being told you have to play left handed.

Right. It's not like we haven't seen JVB play better. We know he can play better. Just have to figure out and work on why he is not. His receivers certainly aren't helping much either so it's not all on him.

this definitely has a lot to do with it. folks don't realize how hard it is to unlearn and relearn a new system.

but also, his footwork yesterday was terrible. i specifically was looking for it and many, many times he threw off his back foot. he also is showing that he really is unable to put any touch on the ball. that pass over the middle to CJF is the perfect example. if that was anywhere close, it would have been a penalty, but he just zinged it way over the top. lots of out patterns either way out of bounds or behind the receivers.

Agreed. I also think that's why we kept the 1's in all teh way through, and were still passing in the 4th quarter. Most of the second half was an open scrimmage, concentrating on throwing to backs, horizontal, and short passes, from 2-3 step drops.

I'm not sure what other people see or think, but am I'm as encouraged by this team, given all of its' inherent disadvantages, as I have been by any Iowa team in a long time. New assistants. I'm on board 100%, and willing to give this some time. haven't ever heard that out of me until this season.

Broken record. Cut and paste this comment from me, it's my position for the next season, to two seasons.

One confusing thing he was trying yesterday was a sort of a jump pass a couple of times. Did anyone else notice this? He'd sort of do a retreating hop as if trying to throw over the rush, and then wing it (inaccurately). I'm not going to hate on the guy, but he's got a lot of work to do if Iowa is going to win more than 5-6 games this year.

I've thought since the first game of the year that Iowa desperately needed to just make it to the bye week because there were systematic flaws in the passing game that needed to be focused on deliberately to fix. Unfortunately, in the mean time, they got caught with one extra loss than they should but that's the kind of team Iowa is this year. I think Iowa State was a legit loss. The Chippewas was I think the result of a very young Iowa team not realizing that you can't just play foolishly and then turn it on in the second half and expect to blow a lesser team out.

I agree Golfer, this is a young team with a lot of potential for the future. People would be best served if they could forget whatever baggage they have with Ferentz and look at this year like year one of a rebuilding project with a new coach. I realize, however, that Ferentz does have some tendencies that drive people crazy, so that's hard to get over. Plus, the shadow of 2010 continues to hang over everything.

Podolak talked a lot about JVB's drops yesterday. I opened the show with one criticism of JVB, and that was that his footwork yesterday looked as poor as I have seen him look. Ed agreed, and said that KOK was all 7 step drops..or mostly. Davis is 3 and 5 step drops. You practice 7 step drops for four years and go to something like three or five steps for one year, it's a big change..possibly a bit like being told you have to play left handed.

Like being told to play left-handed? It may be a change but good athletes are good athletes. It's nothing like being told to play left-handed.

Like being told to play left-handed? It may be a change but good athletes are good athletes. It's nothing like being told to play left-handed.

The quote was "a bit like", and that's reasonable. Thank you for your input, Anal Retentive One.

Did they change his motion? It doesn't have the same look and I'm curious if that is the source of the inaccuracy. I know we are having issues with our WR being in sync with him and therefore the poor targets, but he is no where near as accurate as he was last year. He used to have a slower, more deliberate motion, with a little lean forward when he was throwing...but he was accurate. He is now more upright, but it appears his footwork is out of sorts and he's not as accurate.

I hope to god they spend these two weeks solely on the passing game. We are a decent passing game away from having being a very good offensive football team.

Seems to make all the throws in pregame so it means he panics in games. Also gets worse in 2nd half

I thought if was interesting in KF post game than when ask about the flea flicker, he said something like " great call by Greg, and James gets credit for the touchdown"........seems to be implying by Kirk that JVB needs some help in the stats department and will take anything he can get.

No offense but he looks like a derper when he throws...

James-Vandenberg.jpeg

no matter what the drops are he is still a 5th year senior who shouldn't forget how to throw the ball. he is so quick to check it down when there have been many times a reciever is open down the field. it's sad to see someone not trust their read or their arm or mot having the balls to make a mistake which is why KF loves him.

No offense but he looks like a derper when he throws...

I am guessing it's your first time ever looking at a QB still and assume you are talking about the non throwing hand. That's fairly textbook, but I realize it doesn't play into the pile on JVB mentality some have

rickystanzi_thumb.jpg

Tate2.jpg

44-01164-F.jpg

Peyton_Manning_WIDE1119.jpg

I am guessing it's your first time ever looking at a QB still and assume you are talking about the non throwing hand. That's fairly textbook, but I realize it doesn't play into the pile on JVB mentality some have

rickystanzi_thumb.jpg

Tate2.jpg

44-01164-F.jpg

Peyton_Manning_WIDE1119.jpg

Holy crap! Is Vandy a QB? I had no idea what one of those look like since I've never seen one before! Thank you so much for helping point that out.

Holy crap! Is Vandy a QB? I had no idea what one of those look like since I've never seen one before! Thank you so much for helping point that out.

You are welcome. I figured as much based on the pointless comment you posted and wanted to help you out so you wouldn't embarrass yourself again. Glad I could pitch in.

Latest posts