JVB - Pocket Presence

Lol at shoelace or Persa competing for all big ten honors. They aren't even full time QBs on their own ******* teams.

Last edited:
Here's my take:

JVB has been roughly about equal to Stanzi in terms of ability and production. He has another year and 1/2 to improve and he may end up being better than Ricky when it's all said and done.

I think he is getting better everyday. I love Stanzi, but James is ahead of him Through 7 games in his career.

Also, in my garage it was written on the wall in March. "James Vandenberg is the Peyton Manning of Iowa"

What I expect? How about some context...

At home JVB has been a great but not elite QB. On the road he has been mediocre. To even put him in the conversation as an All Big Ten performer, he has to be far more consistent.

Jeebus - you don't crown someone on this board and you're immediately a hater.

This sentence is a perfect example of your complete and total lack of perspective in your argument. Here are James numbers for home games...

91-139, 65.5%, 1365 passing yards, 9.82 YPA, 14td, 2int.

In what world is he not an elite QB at home?

Every time I see a topic like this (and read some of the responses) I laugh. What are you guys going to do when we have a truly average QB?

The reality is JVB is a very very very very very good QB. He's going to be in the conversation as one of the best Iowa has ever had. He's going to be an NFL QB. By definition those things make someone "elite".

Lol at shoelace competing for all big ten honors. They aren't even full time QBs on their own ******* teams.

Didn't he win B1G offensive POY last year?

Edit: I agree that this was a fricken joke, but it did happen.

Last edited:
Yup, and he's sharing snaps this year. Name me one All-B10 QB that shared snaps.

He's got as many INT's this year as he did all of last year. He's barely completing 50% of his passes this year compared to over 60% last year. He's on pace to rush for and pass for fewer yards this year than he did last year.

Your all B10 QB race is between Wilson, JVB, and Cousins.

Yup, and he's sharing snaps this year. Name me one All-B10 QB that shared snaps.

He's got as many INT's this year as he did all of last year. He's barely completing 50% of his passes this year compared to over 60% last year. He's on pace to rush for and pass for fewer yards this year than he did last year.

Your all B10 QB race is between Wilson, JVB, and Cousins.

Well, he shared snaps last year although he wasn't All-B10 I guess.

Less than half the conf. season is in the books this year and he's still in the conversation, at least as much as JVB.

Right now it's Wilson (wide margin), Cousins (wide margin), everyone else.

I don't know why we're arguing about this. Conf. awards are a bit of a beauty contest. Last year's POY is the perfect example.

Well, he shared snaps last year although he wasn't All-B10 I guess.

Less than half the conf. season is in the books this year and he's still in the conversation, at least as much as JVB.

Right now it's Wilson (wide margin), Cousins (wide margin), everyone else.

I don't know why we're arguing about this. Conf. awards are a bit of a beauty contest. Last year's POY is the perfect example.

JVB has more yards, more TD's, and a higher rating than Cousins does. Ultimately the battle between them will likely come down to one stat, W's and L's. If JVB beats Cousins in a few weeks, and Iowa finishes with a better or the same record than JVB will be 2nd team.

This sentence is a perfect example of your complete and total lack of perspective in your argument. Here are James numbers for home games...

91-139, 65.5%, 1365 passing yards, 9.82 YPA, 14td, 2int.

In what world is he not an elite QB at home?

Every time I see a topic like this (and read some of the responses) I laugh. What are you guys going to do when we have a truly average QB?

The reality is JVB is a very very very very very good QB. He's going to be in the conversation as one of the best Iowa has ever had. He's going to be an NFL QB. By definition those things make someone "elite".

Yeah, you're doing most of the 'talking'..

Anyway, among other things not mentioned in your post, Vandy needs to eliminate his windup and learn to read and dumpoff in the face of blitzes if he wants to be a pro QB - be a good QB for Iowa.

Last edited:

Anyway, among other things not mentioned in your post, Vandy needs to eliminate his windup and learn to read and dumpoff in the face of blitzes if he wants to be a pro QB - be a good QB for Iowa.

He has much quicker release than Stanzi...

You've mentioned the wind-up thing before; I thought you were imagining things or being overly critical. Then an analyst in one of the recent games (maybe Belotti) said the same thing about him.

The OP and yourself point our JVB's problem identifying the blitz. The GameFilm guy stated the same thing, and also mentioned that it has been a general Iowa QB problem historically.

We should all appreciate that all QBs have flaws, even the greatest ever. The important thing is that the strengths outweigh the flaws, that the QB continually works to improve the weak areas, and that the coaches put the QB in a position where the flaws are minimized.

So we can all be right: JVB has some flaws, and he is an awesome QB and we are happy he is a Hawk. Kumbaya.

Vandenberg's NCAA passing efficiency rating at home is 178.3. On the road it is 108.4.

To put the numbers in some perspective, Vandenberg is playing like Andrew Luck (180.0) at home. However, on the road, he is playing like Steele Jantz (109.2). Luck has the fifth best rating in the country. In contrast, Jantz is ranked 106 out of 118 qualifiers.

Vandenberg, through 7 games, is statistically better than Cousins. That is a fact whether or not you believe he should be second team all Big Ten. And that fact certainly lends evidence to the argument that he is deserving of second team all Big Ten at this point in the season.

Given Iowa's tradition of very good defenses and solid running games, I will take a second team all Big Ten QB each and every year.

Oh, by the way. The first team QB ahead of him is a senior who has started since he was a freshman and threw for 76 touchdowns in the ACC before this season.

Vandenberg's NCAA passing efficiency rating at home is 178.3. On the road it is 108.4.

To put the numbers in some perspective, Vandenberg is playing like Andrew Luck (180.0) at home. However, on the road, he is playing like Steele Jantz (109.2). Luck has the fifth best rating in the country. In contrast, Jantz is ranked 106 out of 118 qualifiers.

Wow...that's a rather sobering fact heading into a road game. There is however, one thing that bodes well for us. It's the freaking goophers this week. Nothing like a **** poor defense to turn your numbers around.

Wow...that's a rather sobering fact heading into a road game. There is however, one thing that bodes well for us. It's the freaking goophers this week. Nothing like a **** poor defense to turn your numbers around.

To small of a road sample size to make an informed comparison.

ISU was the first road game of the season, and the first real game against D1 competition.

He played much better against PSU, who has a much better D, but was let down by the receivers. Vandy was throwing well in that game but there had to be at least 6 drops. The announcers were very impressed with his game.

Latest posts