JVB - Pocket Presence

JVB might be would be second team all big ten right now. He's what, 12 or 13th in the nation in passer efficiency and second in the Big Ten. He and Wilson have same number of TD passes (16) and JVB has one more INT than Wilson (4, to 3). JVB has second highest yards per game in Big Ten, second best passing efficiency rating in Big Ten.

I am not saying its a lock he'd be second team all Big Ten right now, but he is very much in the debate.

He is having one of the best seasons an Iowa quarterback has ever had, through seven games.

Is he perfect? No. Can he get better? Yes...which is real, real exciting.

Not exactly sure what people expected out of him through seven games (he has nine starts in his career)

What I expect? How about some context...

At home JVB has been a great but not elite QB. On the road he has been mediocre. To even put him in the conversation as an All Big Ten performer, he has to be far more consistent.

Jeebus - you don't crown someone on this board and you're immediately a hater.

JVB might be would be second team all big ten right now. He's what, 12 or 13th in the nation in passer efficiency and second in the Big Ten. He and Wilson have same number of TD passes (16) and JVB has one more INT than Wilson (4, to 3). JVB has second highest yards per game in Big Ten, second best passing efficiency rating in Big Ten.

I am not saying its a lock he'd be second team all Big Ten right now, but he is very much in the debate.

He is having one of the best seasons an Iowa quarterback has ever had, through seven games.

Not exactly sure what people expected out of him through seven games (he has nine starts in his career)

This.

My gawd, relax people,nitpicking over everything. It is just part of the maturation process that every QB goes through. He is a bright person he will put it together and as Jon stated he is only going to get better and better. JVB is the least of my concerns with this team, now and moving forward.

At home JVB has been a great but not elite QB. On the road he has been mediocre. To even put him in the conversation as an All Big Ten performer, he has to be far more consistent.

You are smart guy, you know your football, I just think you are being overly critical. People who frequent this board on a regular basis know you are not a hater.

Btw, Kirk Cousins has had his ups and downs this year and he is a 5th year senior.

LOL. You are probably right on that.

However, the kid is doing just fine. He is nine starts into his career.

Yeah Olive - I think he has certainly been good, just not great, and again it is our fault for putting false expectations on him.

He leaves a lot of passes on the field I think, and he also has yet to win on the road. As soon as he starts hitting the easy passes and gets a road win under his belt, he'llbe significantly better.

He's fine, but he's not Stanzi or Tate or Banks.

I don't mean to be an @$$ here but are you serious?

I loved Rick too but,

Do you remember last years game against Indiana, do you remember how many points we scored? 16 points, last year that's what we scored 16.

Do you remember how bad Stanzi was the last 5 games of his career? Do you remember NW and Minnesota last year?

What set of criteria are you using to come to this conclusion?

Forget for now the obvious fact that Vandeburg is a better passer, thats not even a question, look at how many points we are scoring this year, look at the guys QB rating. 4 ints on the year.

Leaves to many passes on the field? One or two a game, maybe, its like the guy has to be Tom Brady or something to compare to the legend of Stanzi.

I don't get what people are not seeing in this guy and what set of absurd expectations they must be holding him too.

Last edited:

Man, I wasn't expecting people to react to the job JVB has done this year from the OP. He needs to play better on the road, no doubt, but from what I'm seeing he's deserves the 2nd team all Big Ten consideration. It's crazy that people aren't thrilled with what we are getting at QB for a first year player. He's only going to get better.

I get what you are saying that the corner blitzes were well conceived, but one of them was telegraphed as Heban was moving towards the line of scrimmage. Unless he thought he had protection on that side, he should have known it was coming by making his reads at the line of scrimmage. I will say this...Minnesota will come at him pretty hard with corners and safeties.

Thoughts on why we don't use the flat more for check downs to the backs? Is it protection over putting the ball in the flat? It just looks wide open to me.

He throws a great deep ball. Most of his throws are on the money and hits them in stride. I personally think he is better than Rick.

Jon personally JVB is doing alright but I expect more from him than Stanzi simply because he has the ability. At this point in time he should be further along in reading progressions which would make him more aware of where the blitz is coming from.
Maybe the WR's aren't reading the blitzes and going to a hot read or maybe we don't do that but when I was in HS our WR's went auto slant on the blitz so there should be at least one short outlet.
Wisky goes to bump and dump to Ball on the biltz and it gains big more than 50% of the time. I'd love to see Canzeri or McCall(when healthy)do this. Much easier to chip and provide an outlet than sustain a block on a blitzer and wait for someone to come open down field.

Jon personally JVB is doing alright but I expect more from him than Stanzi simply because he has the ability. At this point in time he should be further along in reading progressions which would make him more aware of where the blitz is coming from.
Maybe the WR's aren't reading the blitzes and going to a hot read or maybe we don't do that but when I was in HS our WR's went auto slant on the blitz so there should be at least one short outlet.
Wisky goes to bump and dump to Ball on the biltz and it gains big more than 50% of the time. I'd love to see Canzeri or McCall(when healthy)do this. Much easier to chip and provide an outlet than sustain a block on a blitzer and wait for someone to come open down field.

James just made the 9th start of his college career.

James just made the 9th start of his college career.

It seems that every QB under the current staff has had issues with recognizing the blitz, and/or finding the quick outlet... Who is the QB coach?? One would think that they whould be addressing this, as in a high priority. Then again maybe they are? Those 4 straight sacks on Stanzi by NW last year made me blow a gasket...

Once he starts winning some road games I will start considering him on Stanzi's level

What was Stanzis level? Losing at NW and Minnesota last year?

I don't get it?

Stanzi had some great games but he also had some terrible ones.

You can't compare the two based on wins when Rick had 10-20 future NFL players on defense at any given time and this defense cant hold anyone.

The defense is what won the majority of those games.

Vandenburg, with basically the same O, is putting up much better numbers against the same teams while having a much worse D.

Last edited:
Ok doubters out there. You want him to be further along? How about this he is further along than stanzi, banks, tate, or christansen ever were after 7 games. And I'm including their senior season when they were considered veteran quarterbacks. Wow lets tell him how dissapointed we are because he didn't read the blitz right or he underthrew. I'm sure none of those guys ever did that. Hes probably doing less of those things they did with half the starts.

Ok doubters out there. You want him to be further along? How about this he is further along than stanzi, banks, tate, or christansen ever were after 7 games. And I'm including their senior season when they were considered veteran quarterbacks. Wow lets tell him how dissapointed we are because he didn't read the blitz right or he underthrew. I'm sure none of those guys ever did that. Hes probably doing less of those things they did with half the starts.

James is a more talented passer but I wouldn't say hes further along than Tate as far as reading and escaping blitzes. Tate had unmatched pocket awareness and was great at going through progressions.

OK, he's further along than those guys relatively. Doesn't mean I don't have a higher view of his ability and personal expectations for him.
I just think that highly of him. He played alot of HS football and has been in Iowa's system for 4yrs. He shouldn't be throwing a ball on a long out with a CB hanging on the WR or completely missing a blitzer off the right side.
I never said he sucked or was worthless or anything like that. I just feel he is more talented that what he's put on the field as yet and some of those issues shouldn't be there but thats just my opinion.

James is probably never going to be great at escaping pressure laterally. So, he will have to get better at recognizing where blitzers might be coming from and exploiting the blitz by throwing to that spot.

It seems like on those corner blitzes that he got up to the line with a predetermined play and just forgot to look over the D. Both blitzes were fairly clearly telegraphed.

Another problem might be that they aren't getting to the line quick enough for him to make the D tip their hand enough.

if i remember both plays right it could be on jvb and the rb. i believe on both plays the rb released right away. he might have had to check to staying in. sometimes the qb makes that read and sometimes the rb has to make that read depending in the play. i know on one of them coker wasnt in and if you remember last year when coker took over that was one of his weaknesses...blitz pickup. but he was all we had. that is probably the main reason he doesnt come out. they dont trust the other rbs at blitz pickup.

Latest posts