JVB has a long way to go

One factor to consider is that JVB is undoubtedly more comfortable with Davis right now than McNutt. JVB and Keenan have worked together for the past two years while they were both reserves while McNutt was working with the #1s and Stanzi.

So against a blitz with all things equal and an option JVB is going to go with the receiver he has had more time to work out timing and trust with -- Right now that is Davis.

CAAR --

Progression vs. read. It comes down to symantics. The arrow route to Herman should have been a pre-snap read. No safety on Herman's side, linebacker's feet totally gave away the fact he was going to stunt. JVB should have known Davis was going to occupy the CB (which he did) leaving Herman wide open in the flat for an easy pass and catch and drive-continuing first down. Opting for the fade to Davis wasn't a terrible choice, but a tougher throw.

The second play I alluded to should have also been a pre-snap read -- not a progression. McNutt isolated on an island against a Div. I-AA corner is a no-brainer. There was no safety over the top, and with McNutt to the wide side of the field, there was no chance the OLB was going to have time to get out on a slant or skinny post.

I think if you were to ask JVB or KOK to rate the performance, they would agree with my assessment moreso than those who are panning my original post.

Did he make the right audible, maybe not, especially on the second one. We don't know what their audible package is at this point.

Given the nature of that throw/route you don't have time to decide whether he is open or not. Its assumed he is not going to be necessarily "open," thats why the ball is thrown at that trajectory. You know he has one man on him and its then up to the QB and the receiver to execute. The QB did not in this case.

Given the situation in the rain. That fact that he audibled into a viable play seeing the blitz was coming is a good sign to me.

Last edited:
I think this thread is someone trying way too hard to look like an X's and O's smart guy.

Craig --

Go back and watch the final play of the Michigan State-Iowa game. Rucker most certainly had an inside shade on McNutt. Rucker's problem was that he allowed McNutt to have a clean release off the line of scrimmage.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p9xT-7-UkU]Ricky Stanzi Last Second TD Pass To Marvin McNutt - YouTube[/ame]

CLR immediately opes his inside shoulder and allowed MM to perform an easy slant pattern. During the timeout prior to this play, McNutt told KOK that CLR was giving outside position all night and that a slant would work. DJK gets pissy. 7 got 6.

The original play in question, the TT CB had an 8-10 yd cushion and shaded inside, allowing 2 options: a skinny post (which you already suggested) or a fade/go route. Considering the fact the CB had his inside shoulder cutting off the inside, a skinny post would not be ideal because it would've been less ground to cover than covering the fade. However, neither one was the best possible route because he's covering 1/3 of the field by himself, a condensed 25 yards. The fade to KD is a shorter throw and a better angle for a 3-step drop. We were killing them on that side of the field all day.

Latest posts