JVB has a long way to go

A lot of things to pick apart in the OP. I'll keep it short and simple.

It was Vandenberg's FIRST start as THE MAN. Furthermore, the weather was pretty bad ... it definitely influenced how the ball was thrown. Despite the above ... Vandenberg still completed nearly 62% of his passes AND, given the number of drops, the completion percentage legitimately should have been in the low 70s. That is IMPRESSIVE by any measure ... particularly in adverse weather conditions.

As for the issue of decision making ...
- Vandenberg obviously has a great rapport with Davis and he trusts him to win jump ball situations. Furthermore, that is obviously a route that he's comfortable throwing and he has pretty good chemistry with Davis. Given that he likely didn't have a chance to wear gloves and given the possible "slipperyness" of the ball ... I don't find it shocking that the ball wasn't perfectly thrown.
- Vandenberg didn't throw a single pick ... nor did he get sacked. Do those factors not show good judgement?
- Vandenberg also passed for 2 TDs, showed patience, and also showed a willingness to make plays.

Have to disagree with the OP. The game conditions were horrible -- much worse than they appeared on television. Many times it was raining sideways ... I thought he did exactly what he needed to do -- in conditions that did not allow much. He had at least three dropped balls ... He avoided any sacks ... Seemed to call nice checkoffs ... For his first start of the season and second (or third) start of his career, I thought he looked great. I think we will see fewer forced balls and I think Vandy has the respect of his teammates -- as a leader ... He has great mechanic and will be just fine.

if it makes you feel better, with your criteria, Stanzi had 473 bad reads in 2009 and we won the Orange Bowl

If JVB dumps the ball to Herman, he easily picks up the first down and keeps the drive.
In the game I was watching there was a 50% chance he would've dropped the pass. (Not dissing on Herman's ability here either.)

I get your point here, but you have to try to put yourself in JVB's shoes. With the rain, helmet, and knowing 5 guys are chasing you trying to rip your head off... It is not hard to miss an open receiver one way or another. Even the best of the best miss open targets sometimes. And it being the first game against a lesser opponent... He is going to want to go for the home run and impress the fans and give them something to go crazy about. If he only went for the short and easy pass without ever taking a chance deep...i can almost guarantee we would have people on here complaining about Iowa being too conservative and not going for the deep ball enough.

Again, I see what you're saying about this particular play, but hindsight is 20/20. I think JVB did a pretty solid job and I'm excited to watch him progress.

. Granted, I realize the conditions were horrendous and JVB was playing with a wet ball all day, but I was more concerned with JVB's reads and his issue of locking on to his primary receiver.

JVB is 100 times better than Stanzi about going through his reads and not just locking onto one WR.

JVB, so far, has the look of someone going into their second year. He's obviously made himself a student of the position which is evident in his ability to recognize blitzes, one on ones, etc. To think of a qb going into his first year starting and being able to run things flawlessly in the first game is unrealistic. (Especially in a rain storm) He looks further along than I thought he was. He seems to have some moxy and confidence in his own ability to make big plays, not just manage the game. Ferentz's first 2 plays of the year were passing plays, which means they have confidence in his ability and after watching him Saturday, it's easy to see why.

219 with 2 TD's and 0 picks is "below average?" so i'm thinking average for you would be 300 with 3 TD's and 0 picks. that puts excellent at about 600 and 7 TD's.

this is feasible

What a stupid thread, the OP is talking about 2 plays in a freaking downpour? I was impressed with how calm and collected James was and excited about this year.

Yo, people, guess what? We can't tell **** from this game, either way. Yeah, it was played in a monsoon, but it was also played against a middling FCS technical school from a state with no technology. We played a pretty terrible team in completely crapulent conditions. What does that mean about the abilities of our players? Who freaking knows.

To those of you who seem to think that The Mandenberg is so good that Stanzi shouldn't have been able to carry his jock, get real please. Stanzi was one of the top 5 or so QB's ever to play at Iowa, and is a heartbeat away from starting week 1 in his NFL rookie season. The percentages say we're in for a step back in the QB department this year. Maybe The Mandenberg will be better than Stanzi someday, but he isn't right now. No way, no how.

For those of you who think The Mandenberg is overrated hot garbage, get real please. We basically have four data points on him, and the results are not too shabby. It's tough to pull a trend out of four points, and it's even tougher considering at least two of our points are corrupted by weird circumstances (jNW in 2009, TT in 2011). How's about we let The Mandenbery play a few games against quality competition in normal NCAA football conditions before we get our panties in a bunch. m'kay?

Dont sell Stanzi short people, he was f'n good. Sure he had a few rough games, but Id take Vandenberg having an equal career to Stanzi in a heartbeat.

Anger management needed...get some help dude. If you don't like the board, it's a free country and board for that matter...don't come on and whine about someone who disagrees with a poster. This board is going to attract differing opinions so don't get your feelings hurt. You just grab your snuggy and some warm milk and watch cartoons for a while...you will feel better.

If you were to ask this boards opinion on this post...I say 85% disagree.

Dude, I come on here to talk football. You took one sentence of a post and spouted off. Pay attention and have some consideration for others. Maybe this is a generational thing I don't understand yet where since you don't actually know the person it is fun to be a *****. The rest of my post was about some positive things as well. You would know that if you read it.

CAAR --

Progression vs. read. It comes down to symantics. The arrow route to Herman should have been a pre-snap read. No safety on Herman's side, linebacker's feet totally gave away the fact he was going to stunt. JVB should have known Davis was going to occupy the CB (which he did) leaving Herman wide open in the flat for an easy pass and catch and drive-continuing first down. Opting for the fade to Davis wasn't a terrible choice, but a tougher throw.

The second play I alluded to should have also been a pre-snap read -- not a progression. McNutt isolated on an island against a Div. I-AA corner is a no-brainer. There was no safety over the top, and with McNutt to the wide side of the field, there was no chance the OLB was going to have time to get out on a slant or skinny post.

I think if you were to ask JVB or KOK to rate the performance, they would agree with my assessment moreso than those who are panning my original post.

CAAR --

Progression vs. read. It comes down to symantics. The arrow route to Herman should have been a pre-snap read. No safety on Herman's side, linebacker's feet totally gave away the fact he was going to stunt. JVB should have known Davis was going to occupy the CB (which he did) leaving Herman wide open in the flat for an easy pass and catch and drive-continuing first down. Opting for the fade to Davis wasn't a terrible choice, but a tougher throw.

The second play I alluded to should have also been a pre-snap read -- not a progression. McNutt isolated on an island against a Div. I-AA corner is a no-brainer. There was no safety over the top, and with McNutt to the wide side of the field, there was no chance the OLB was going to have time to get out on a slant or skinny post.

I think if you were to ask JVB or KOK to rate the performance, they would agree with my assessment moreso than those who are panning my original post.

Of course Vandy will always think he could do things better. If you aren't trying to get better then you are getting worse. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have probably never been satisfied with a game in their lives. But what is your idea of "average" or "above average?" That is the point people are making. He threw for 200+ yards, 2TD, 1 rushing TD, in less than 3 quarters of play in a torrential downpour.

What would be considered "good" in your world? Never missing a read or a throw?

CAAR --

Except on that first play, JVB had a 6'2" safety in his face. Considering he already had a pass batted down behind the line of scrimmage on the quick pass to Bullock on the 1st drive and the ball had already been turned over once, nearly twice, I wouldn't say it was the wrong decision to go up to KD on the fade. If he had placed the ball to the other shoulder, it would've been six. Is it tougher to throw through a 6'2" defender 3 yards in front of you who's jumping with his hands in the air, or a 25 yard fade route to a 6'3" receiver with a 36" vertical being defended by a 5'11" CB (single coverage)? What if that ball had been tipped and picked off by the blitzing safety?

The second play you alluded to was not cover 3, in fact i don't know what the hell that was. Maybe blown coverage on a cover 1 by the FS? He could have successfully gone to either MM or KD, provided that he made a good throw. If Marv had run a slant pattern, the corner would've jumped the route. If James had stuck with a fade to McNutt, it could've been a TD. Maybe he's not comfy yet throwing long routes to his left? I don't know

Overall, I'd say he did a fine job. Not below average, but mostly what he was supposed to do. He likes those fades to the right corner of the end zone.

Except on that first play, JVB had a 6'2" safety in his face. Considering he already had a pass batted down behind the line of scrimmage on the quick pass to Bullock on the 1st drive and the ball had already been turned over once, nearly twice, I wouldn't say it was the wrong decision to go up to KD on the fade. If he had placed the ball to the other shoulder, it would've been six. Is it tougher to throw through a 6'2" defender 3 yards in front of you who's jumping with his hands in the air, or a 25 yard fade route to a 6'3" receiver with a 36" vertical being defended by a 5'11" CB (single coverage)? What if that ball had been tipped and picked off by the blitzing safety?

The second play you alluded to was not cover 3, in fact i don't know what the hell that was. Maybe blown coverage on a cover 1 by the FS? He could have successfully gone to either MM or KD, provided that he made a good throw. If Marv had run a slant pattern, the corner would've jumped the route. If James had stuck with a fade to McNutt, it could've been a TD. Maybe he's not comfy yet throwing long routes to his left? I don't know

Overall, I'd say he did a fine job. Not below average, but mostly what he was supposed to do. He likes those fades to the right corner of the end zone.

nice post, I'll just say I've seen him throw plenty of long routes to his left, with much success, although that was high school.

Craig-

There's no way McNutt allows a CB to jump a slant, and with lack of cushion the CB gave McNutt on that play, it would be virtually impossible to jump the slant. McNutt should have easily been able to get an inside release regardless of the fact the CB had taken an inside shade. McNutt is one of the best I have seen at releasing inside (Cris T. Rucker would agree). The slant would have been an easier throw with a better chance of completion than the fade.

MSU CB had outside position on his slant. TT CB was shading inside, so i disagree that it would have been an easy release inside. He was asking for it outside and deep (not gay).

Latest posts