JVB has a long way to go

jwiley10

My initial thought on JVB's performance immediately after the game was 'average' and after re-watching the game I have amended my thought to 'slightly below average'. Granted, I realize the conditions were horrendous and JVB was playing with a wet ball all day, but I was more concerned with JVB's reads and his issue of locking on to his primary receiver.

Two plays stood out. The first was the third down (I think in the first quarter) where JVB tried to hit Davis on a fade. You could tell the second the ball was snapped JVB was looking for the home run no matter what. He locked on, floated the ball to Davis, and the ball fell incomplete. On the same play, Herman ran an arrow route and was wide open. No TTU player was within ten yards. If JVB dumps the ball to Herman, he easily picks up the first down and keeps the drive alive. Instead, Iowa had to opt for the field goal. Small things like this will kill Iowa in the B10 if not addressed.

The second play was Davis' acrobatic touchdown/reversed touchdown pass. Iowa lined up with the tight end on Davis' side of the field (strong right). To the left, McNutt was isolated on a cornerback. TTU looked to be in cover 3 with the strong safety walked up and the free safety shading toward the strong side. McNutt, an all-Big Ten receiver who will be playing in the NFL a year from now, had his defender on an island. JVB needs to recognize this and utilize McNutt (a slant/skinny post would have been an easy 6 points). Instead, JVB made a bad read and threw a bad ball to Davis.

I may be picking nits, but for Iowa to have any chance at 9 or 10 wins, JVB will have to be stellar. This past Saturday, he was not.

"Granted, I realize the conditions were horrendous and JVB was playing with a wet ball all day,"

Agreed

The television did not do justice as to just how hard it was raining Saturday. Also, while there may have been some others open on both of those plays, the reads to Davis were both good reads - one on one coverage on the outside against a blitz. The throws were off, but I can' believe they were even able to complete any passes in those conditions.

I thought the fact that he was a non story coming out of that game in his first game as "the man" was telling. He was in command of the offense and did nothing to make you nervous. I can't wait to see him in good playing conditions.

What is your average?

Average quarterback in the Big Ten?
Average first year quarterback?
Average second start in college?
Average second start in college with a wet football?

I could not disagree with you more. Your expectations are way too high for a guy with only two previous starts in good weather.

My initial thought on JVB's performance immediately after the game was 'average' and after re-watching the game I have amended my thought to 'slightly below average'. Granted, I realize the conditions were horrendous and JVB was playing with a wet ball all day, but I was more concerned with JVB's reads and his issue of locking on to his primary receiver.

Two plays stood out. The first was the third down (I think in the first quarter) where JVB tried to hit Davis on a fade. You could tell the second the ball was snapped JVB was looking for the home run no matter what. He locked on, floated the ball to Davis, and the ball fell incomplete. On the same play, Herman ran an arrow route and was wide open. No TTU player was within ten yards. If JVB dumps the ball to Herman, he easily picks up the first down and keeps the drive alive. Instead, Iowa had to opt for the field goal. Small things like this will kill Iowa in the B10 if not addressed.

The second play was Davis' acrobatic touchdown/reversed touchdown pass. Iowa lined up with the tight end on Davis' side of the field (strong right). To the left, McNutt was isolated on a cornerback. TTU looked to be in cover 3 with the strong safety walked up and the free safety shading toward the strong side. McNutt, an all-Big Ten receiver who will be playing in the NFL a year from now, had his defender on an island. JVB needs to recognize this and utilize McNutt (a slant/skinny post would have been an easy 6 points). Instead, JVB made a bad read and threw a bad ball to Davis.

I may be picking nits, but for Iowa to have any chance at 9 or 10 wins, JVB will have to be stellar. This past Saturday, he was not.

Yes, nit picking would be the right thing to describe this..it was raining sideways and the ball was probably close to a greased pig and he was still 13-21 for 219, 2 TDs and ZERO INTs..had to know someone would post something like this.. 34-7

Did you watch the same game we did? Payton Manning misses reads too man. He looked like a two yr starter in my book

Couldn't disagree with you more!

I disagree big time on the first play. When QB's see that they have one-on-one coverage on the outside, and they know that their reciever is better than the defender, that is where you go if the play dictates it. Why would you check down if you have the coverage that you want? The only think wrong with that play was the throw (which can easily be blamed on the rain). If he puts that outside and into the endzone, it is 6 for sure.

I can't speak to the other catch, because I don't remember what the coverage looked like, but I remember it being one on one as well.

Granted, I realize the conditions were horrendous

Look I don't know if you went to the game or experienced the weather even we had saturday. I did and it was the rainstorm from Hell. HUGE raindrops and torrential. The kind of rain where you couldn't even keep your eyes open. BUckets of water falling down.

It remeinded me of the star wars movie on hoth when they had to close the "rear gate". The type of rain where you had to yell at the person next to you so they could hear you. Utter downpour. I had no idea how those players managed to even see during this rain. To throw a touch pass in that rain would be like trying to tie a cherry stem into a knot with your tongue.

I mostly agree with your analysis. He did mis some reads , and yes Herman was wide open on that, but I don't think we have seen enough to make any decision. Time will tell this week at the beginning of the game in a 3rd and long situation where there is some real pressure. I like the fact however that he is agressive, anytime Davis or McNutt are one on one is a good time to throw it to them. I was more concerned about Cokers lack of vision, and missing the hole and overall lack of agressiveness. This guy needs to run like hw owns the B10 show a little more patience and then explode through the hole lower his pads and run some mofos over.

The only bad read I saw was when he threw to the WR on the right side and the cb on that side blitzed leaving Herman all alone. The pass was inc as I recall. Other wise I felt every pass was where it was catchable and no complaints at all.

Except for judging how JV plays in the pouring rain you can't take much of anything away from that game, and I feel very confident should our team find themselves playing in wet conditions this season. But to try to extrapolate how that performance translates to a fair weather day is nearly impossible. It simply affects too many factors.

The only bad read I saw was when he threw to the WR on the right side and the cb on that side blitzed leaving Herman all alone. The pass was inc as I recall. Other wise I felt every pass was where it was catchable and no complaints at all.

13 more games this year if I counted right.;)

Earth to Captain Genius, even the best QB's don't always make the perfect reads every single play, believe it or not.

You picked two plays that JVB didn't do something perfectly, and decided he had an average game?

Despite the fact that he did all that in a frickin torrential downpour?

What a stupid thread

Latest posts