Justify the extention of FRAN

That sums up Barta's tenure at Iowa. Pollard worked over Barta in the Iowa/ISU series money wise. Ferentz has worked Barta over two times in contract negotiations. An underling under got millions because Barta doesn't even know how to terminate an employee. Fran was jus the latest to work over Barta.

In other words he has been incompetent for a long, long time.

Dean you are not that naive... Barta knows exactly what he is doing. Winning is not the priority.

154614390.jpg.0.jpg

Skeletor.jpg

The Death Lord AD of U of I Sports.

Below is why he got the extension, what he has done this year has failed to live up to the standard that he had achieved the previous 6 years. The way Iowa has lost these games, double digits losses with no team defense,has been unbearable to watch, The previous 6 years we have seen some good times that you can either agree or disagree if it has earned him another season - I believe that he deserves another year. I believe that he needs to make some changes on how he is coaching defense. Weather it is just changing how he does it or if it is bringing in a defensive minded assistant something needs to change.

This is from Coach McCraffery's bio on the Iowa web page

McCaffery was named the University of Iowa’s 22nd head men’s basketball coach on March 29, 2010. The Philadelphia native has accumulated 17 upper division conference finishes in 21 seasons as a head coach. McCaffery and the Iowa Hawkeyes have finished in the first division of the Big Ten each of the last five seasons. Additionally, Iowa is one of only three schools to have posted a Big Ten record of .500 or better each of the last five years.

Since taking over the program in 2010, the Hawkeyes have vaulted back to national prominence. Iowa has appeared in a postseason tournament each of the last six seasons (3 NCAA, 3 NIT). McCaffery coached the Hawkeyes to three straight NCAA Tournament appearances (2014, 2015, 2016) -- something that has not been accomplished in 23 years -- and reached the NIT championship game in 2013 with a team that won 25 games.

McCaffery is the first head coach to lead Iowa to 18 or more victories in six straight seasons (2012-17). Overall, the Hawkeyes have amassed 126 victories the last six seasons (21 average) under McCaffery’s direction, a total that is the third most in program history over a six-year span. McCaffery’s 137 wins rank second behind Tom Davis for the most in the first seven seasons as Iowa’s head coach.

McCaffery continues to get the most of his talent, coaching seven Hawkeyes to All-Big Ten status the past six seasons. Devyn Marble (2014), Aaron White (2015), Jarrod Uthoff (2016), and Peter Jok (2017) became the first Hawkeyes to garner first-team all-conference laurels in consecutive seasons since 1945-48. McCaffery also developed Gabriel Olaseni and Nicholas Baer into the 2015 and 2017 Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year, respectively.

The past seven years, McCaffery has coached 13 Hawkeyes to professional contracts, including Devyn Marble and Aaron White, who were selected by the Orlando Magic (2014) and Washington Wizards (2015) in the NBA Draft, respectively.

McCaffery may have pulled off his best coaching job at Iowa this past season, working with one of the youngest teams in the country and nearly receiving a berth in the NCAA Tournament. Iowa tied for fifth in the Big Ten and was one of the last four out of the tournament field. Jok led the team, becoming Iowa’s fifth Big Ten scoring champion in school history, averaging 19.9 points per game. For half the season, Jok started alongside four freshmen – Iowa’s youngest starting lineup in school history. Undaunted, McCaffery and the Hawkeyes progressed as the season went on ultimately winning four games against nationally ranked teams, including No. 21 Wisconsin and No. 24 Maryland on the road.

Nobody cares about regular season accomplishments. That’s not why you coach and that’s not why you play the game

He's graduating his players and doing things the right way. Sound familiar?

I'm as down on Fran as anyone (probably more), but at least we don't have these kinds of issue. It also might explain why Fran has a tougher time recruiting. Of course there was a reason Fran wasn't after Dev Marbles cousin (Monte Morris), he had his hand out want some, and Fred and ISU was more than glad to give him some.

Some of this shit coming out, just shows how hard it would have been recruiting when everyone else is paying guys and Fran refused to.

That sums up Barta's tenure at Iowa. Pollard worked over Barta in the Iowa/ISU series money wise. Ferentz has worked Barta over two times in contract negotiations. An underling under got millions because Barta doesn't even know how to terminate an employee. Fran was jus the latest to work over Barta.

In other words he has been incompetent for a long, long time.

Maybe his nickname should be "Gullible Gary" instead of "Gutless Gary".

Nobody cares about regular season accomplishments. That’s not why you coach and that’s not why you play the game
Speak for yourself please. I very much enjoyed winning at Wisconsin last year...as a recent example. And I have enjoyed and "cared" about too many regular season games to count over the many years I have been an Iowa fan.

Some of this shit coming out, just shows how hard it would have been recruiting when everyone else is paying guys and Fran refused to.
It might also be part of the reason for the extension. There may be A LOT of high profile vacancies this off season. The NCAA has it's own agenda and I have no faith in them. But the FBI's agenda may not align with that of the NCAA...protecting certain programs and coaches.

Maybe I missed something but I never seen BARTA'S justification of the extention or raise they gave Fran.
Barta’s justification is that he has total confidence in Fran. That’s what he said.

It's probably one of the worst recruiting and coaching jobs I've seen in Div 1 BB.
That’s your opinion. I get it. It’s also bad hyperbole times a million.
Fran has only had average teams at best and none of them has been able to play any defense.
just not factually correct on either count.

Someone TELL me the justification, please!
see above. You’re welcome!

I think the players he's recruited are just your average player that looked good in HS. IT'S either that or the coaches aren't doing a good job. ONE OR THE OTHER!!
which one do you think. You’ve given your opinion on everything else in your post. Why stop now?

The state of Iowa is in financial difficulty. Iowa State is trying to hire professional degree'd professional staff in the 50k range for less experience and 60k range for experienced. Employees have gone 2 years w/o a pay increase and now furloughs are being mentioned. Then there is this below. You have employees making far more than the boss and that person making more than their boss. Ripe for corruption.
upload_2018-2-23_9-0-20.png

I have posted this in the past but it's time for a reboot.

Villanova under Jay Wright...First National Championship in Year 15. I see a lot of 1st and 2nd Round NCAA losses and some NIT berths early in his career. I also see an outlier season of 13-19 in 2012...4 years before his National Championship. What were they thinking? He should have been let go for sure after that 2012 season. He clearly couldn't coach and the AD was incompetent. What other explanation could there be? It's not like other teams are good and also trying to win games.

2002 - 19-13 NIT Quarterfinals
2003 - 15-16 NIT 1st Round
2004 - 18-17 NIT Quarterfinals
2005 - 24-8 NCAA Sweet 16
2006 - 28-5 NCAA Elite 8
2007 - 22-11 NCAA 1st Round
2008 - 22-13 NCAA Sweet 16
2009 - 30-8 NCAA Final 4
2010 - 25-8 NCAA 2nd Round
2011 - 21-12 NCAA 1st Round
2012 - 13-19
2013 - 20-14 NCAA 1st Round
2014 - 29-5 NCAA 2nd Round
2015 - 33-3 NCAA 2nd Round
2016 - 35-5 National Champs
2017 - 32-4 NCAA 2nd Round
2018 - Ranked 2nd or 3rd...depending on the poll

I bet Villanova is glad they were patient with Wright.

And Wright did not inherit a bare cupboard. Villanova went to the NCAA from 1995-1997 and again in 1999. They were in the NIT in 2000 and 2001.

I have posted this in the past but it's time for a reboot.

Villanova under Jay Wright...First National Championship in Year 15. I see a lot of 1st and 2nd Round NCAA losses and some NIT berths early in his career. I also see an outlier season of 13-19 in 2012...4 years before his National Championship. What were they thinking? He should have been let go for sure after that 2012 season. He clearly couldn't coach and the AD was incompetent. What other explanation could there be? It's not like other teams are good and also trying to win games.

2002 - 19-13 NIT Quarterfinals
2003 - 15-16 NIT 1st Round
2004 - 18-17 NIT Quarterfinals
2005 - 24-8 NCAA Sweet 16
2006 - 28-5 NCAA Elite 8
2007 - 22-11 NCAA 1st Round
2008 - 22-13 NCAA Sweet 16
2009 - 30-8 NCAA Final 4
2010 - 25-8 NCAA 2nd Round
2011 - 21-12 NCAA 1st Round
2012 - 13-19
2013 - 20-14 NCAA 1st Round
2014 - 29-5 NCAA 2nd Round
2015 - 33-3 NCAA 2nd Round
2016 - 35-5 National Champs
2017 - 32-4 NCAA 2nd Round
2018 - Ranked 2nd or 3rd...depending on the poll

I bet Villanova is glad they were patient with Wright.

And Wright did not inherit a bare cupboard. Villanova went to the NCAA from 1995-1997 and again in 1999. They were in the NIT in 2000 and 2001.
If Fran had made the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 already there would be a LOT more patience. That a data is completely unrelated to our situation and your point is completely invalid.

Latest posts