Just spoke to a pathologist at the hospital

sorry, want to continue with part two

This is not about the workout, and the reason that supports this is the number...13. If these workouts were sooo strenuous over time, you would see a trend of incidents....2, then 4, then 7, then 13. This 13 is a statistical anomaly Because this number is so high, that supports my virus outbreak theory.

Well, I don't disagree with you on the flu theory, as influenza A by itself has been shown to apparently cause rhabdomyolysis. To think that strenuous exercise coupled with the influenza virus could cause it isn't out of the question.

However, we don't know exactly how these guys were admitted to the hospital, or the severity of their cases. It could have been, for all we know, 2 guys with pretty clear signs, then they went through and checked the players and put in others who may have not had clear signs, or were borderline.

And all 13 don't need to have the same cause for this either. For example, a few could have had the flu, a few could have just been dehydrated, a few could have been guys not used to strenuous workouts, etc. Couple that with my previous point about all 13 not having the same severity of the condition, and you're looking at a broad spectrum of things that could have, along with strenuous exercise, led to that many players being admitted at once.

A similar case happened back in August 2010 to the McMinnville (Oregon) High School football team. They had 24 kids treated for this same thing. People are trying to make more out of this than it is.

One word that I have not heard from anyone, that has been mention as a cause of this desease is "virus". Has anyone else had that 3 day flu bug that causes vomiting, muscle soreness and overall fatigue? I have, co workers have, my kids, my wife...all same symptons. I was able to work and was not bed ridden, but I was obviously effected. My theory, these players all got the virus, as it is contagious, took the symptons as just sore and tired from a workout, the overdid it not realizing they were sick. I am frustrated that this has not been discussed as a possible reason. For all of the millions of athletes that have overdone it in any sport, for this to be such a rare occurance, I say it has to be a X factor.

Just got over it. Never felt that way before. Happened very quickly and didn't really matter how much I drank I was still dry. Had to take motion sickness pills from the dizziness.

Well, I don't disagree with you on the flu theory, as influenza A by itself has been shown to apparently cause rhabdomyolysis. To think that strenuous exercise coupled with the influenza virus could cause it isn't out of the question.

However, we don't know exactly how these guys were admitted to the hospital, or the severity of their cases. It could have been, for all we know, 2 guys with pretty clear signs, then they went through and checked the players and put in others who may have not had clear signs, or were borderline.

And all 13 don't need to have the same cause for this either. For example, a few could have had the flu, a few could have just been dehydrated, a few could have been guys not used to strenuous workouts, etc. Couple that with my previous point about all 13 not having the same severity of the condition, and you're looking at a broad spectrum of things that could have, along with strenuous exercise, led to that many players being admitted at once.
This is exactly my take on the situation as it stands right now. Details may appear later to help clarify and I may stand corrected but the chicken little's have got to get their head out. Likely mostly trolls and haters anyway.
It really shows how tough the human body is and where we can push it and how easy it can be to overdo things even for the most physically fit people.

Also a part of the reason so many Iowa players may have been admitted to the hospital is the fact that we have such a good hospital staff that could diagnose the problem (or signs of the problem) right away and seek out all the players who needed treatment. I'm not sure if many teams have the luxury of having a huge teaching hospital right next door.

When people mention the fact that it is a serious problem, which it certainly is, they also somehow fail to mention that Iowa's failsafes did work in this instance, and thank goodness they did.

Agreed. After reading the study on the high occurrence of the illness in military bootcamp that was linked above, and the several articles that Storminspank linked to in another thread about the same thing happening to large groups of teammates/athletes, this seems to be a much more common and frequent occurrence than most people realize.

You guys need to quit looking at the situation intelligently, you are ruining a witchhunt for a lot of people.

I dont think anyone thinks this just came from a hard workout. That said, I'd rather wait to find out what Iowa has to say before going off half cocked.

From the study that Bjuahns10 linked to in this thread:

"Current studies recognize that, among a wide range
of individuals, acute exertional rhabdomyolysis is
a fairly common complication of strenuous physical
activity. This condition has been documented in
military recruits, professional and amateur athletes,
weight lifters, firefighter trainees, and law enforcement
trainees. Olerud et al​
6 found that, during the
early training phase, 40% of 337 military recruits had
myoglobin in their urine, which is evidence of rhabdomyolysis.
Line and Rust
4 described a study of 50
law enforcement trainees who had levels of creatine
phosphokinase consistent with rhabdomyolysis. In a
study by Sinert et al,
nearly half of the hospital admissions
for rhabdomyolysis were exercise induced.
The common theme present in these studies is that the
participants exerted effort above their usual maximum
effort. For physically unconditioned recruits entering
training, the increased level of activity may actually
be quite modest. There are numerous examples, how-

ever, of well-conditioned athletes (eg, marathon runners)
who developed some degree of rhabdomyolysis
after a supramaximal exercise session."

Latest posts