"Just one of those games"

hawkeyz10

Leading up to the game, PJ Fleck said great things about the Iowa program and Kirk Ferentz. When I read this article, my inference from PJ Fleck's description of the post-game handshake with KF is that he was disappointed with KF's comments that it was "Just one of those games."

Pat Harty: Enjoy the rout, but remember that Big Ten looms | Hawk Central

I am interested in knowing others thoughts on this. How do you infer Fleck took the comments?

It seems to me he was expecting something more from KF than what he got. Thots???

I'm not sure what he expected Kirk to say??

Football is a game of momentum and when you give up 28 points on special teams and turnovers, the game can get away from you very fast and it begins to snowball.

My take is all Kirk just meant it was one of those games that the ball gets rolling downhill and the Broncos couldn't get it to stop.

I heard his comments post game and they sounded like he was a bit sideways with what Kirk said. I could be wrong.

I didn't read it that way at all. I took it as him saying don't let the final score get you too down, we got some momentum & things spiraled out of control real quick. Don't judge your team/season by this one performance, don't let this one game set the tone for the rest of your season. Flush it, move on.

I heard his comments post game and they sounded like he was a bit sideways with what Kirk said. I could be wrong.

Others indicated Fleck was a bit "miffed" by it. I have a hard time thinking that is all KF said to Fleck. If it was all he said then I could see Fleck's point as it should be real easy for KF to tell him something like 'your guys played hard and good luck the rest of the year."

This is exactly how I inferred the comment when I read it in the paper. I sensed he expected something better from a coach he has really looked up to in the past.

Personally, I feel KF could give a little more encouragement to a young coach who has been so complimentary of his program. Especially given there are not very many people who are complimentary of his program right now.

Thank you for the insight, Jon!

Leading up to the game, PJ Fleck said great things about the Iowa program and Kirk Ferentz. When I read this article, my inference from PJ Fleck's description of the post-game handshake with KF is that he was disappointed with KF's comments that it was "Just one of those games."

Pat Harty: Enjoy the rout, but remember that Big Ten looms | Hawk Central

I am interested in knowing others thoughts on this. How do you infer Fleck took the comments?

It seems to me he was expecting something more from KF than what he got. Thots???

I think you may have read something into it that wasn't there.

Maybe KF said "that's football" and the coach got as annoyed as the rest of us do when we hear it.

Others indicated Fleck was a bit "miffed" by it. I have a hard time thinking that is all KF said to Fleck. If it was all he said then I could see Fleck's point as it should be real easy for KF to tell him something like 'your guys played hard and good luck the rest of the year."

If he took that comment as negative, then he is really stupid. Ferentz obviously meant that basically everything that could go wrong for Western, did. "Just one of those things". What was Ferentz supposed to say? Western played horribly and gave all appearances of being poorly coached. Fleck better worry about more about winning and keeping his job than interpreting other coaches comments.

I get exactly what Kirk meant -- he downplayed the whupping and offered Fleck encouragement without being condescending. "One of those games" means this was a once-in-50-games type occurrence where everything snowballed against WMU, and thus isn't necessarily indicative of wmu's talent/coaching. (Kind of along the lines of what happened to Iowa when they last visited Tempe). Instead of understanding this, Fleck is miffed? Maybe he has Aspergers and is simply unable to sense empathy or even parse speech beyond literal meaning.

If Fleck wants to be "miffed" at anyone, maybe it should be his punter or his quarterback.

Was he implying Kirk ran up the score? We did score two offensive TDs after the game was out of hand. It's hard to tell anything at all about Fleck meant.

Latest posts