Just got a text from the coaching community

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
one of the people I know in the college coaching community just texted me and said he has heard that three former MSU coaches are interviewing for the job: Brian Gregory, Jim Boylen and Doug Wojcik.

Now, you can believe what you want on this front, and I am not saying this is a fact...but coaches talk to one another all of the time, especially this time of year. That's where a lot of leads come from related to stuff like this.

I asked him of those three which was best suited to get the job done at Iowa, his reply was: "I'd say a tight race. All would be pretty solid."

This person is familiar with Iowa's situation, which is why that last answer was encouraging to hear, because he has never been afraid to tell me if he believes someone couldn't handle the job.

ONE MORE TIME: I haven't confirmed this beyond this text. I really don't think I could, because Barta and the committee aren't going to talk to anyone. So I am not saying this has or will happened with regards to interviews with these guys. Just passing along the things I hear from places that have provided good info in the past.

Of the 3. I like Brian Gregory.

The wildcard for me has to be Doug Wojcik. His asst. resume is much more impressive. Notre Dame and North Carolina.

Last edited:
I like Wojcik the best on paper. I don't know anything about their personality or recruiting ties. The other two just seem to have had major bumps in the road in their recent coaching careers. I do worry because Wojcik only spent two season with Izzo if his recruiting ties would be that strong.

I also wonder what Izzo is telling these guys given what he said about Iowa after we fired lick and what he most know about the Iowa talent pool.

If Barta just fired Lick for $2.4 and hires Boylen for more than what Lick made as HC, then Barta needs to be shown the door!!! Seriously, Boylen just finished a 14-17 campaign in the MWC!! I'd rather see Forbes get an opportunity than this guy. How do you sell him to the fanbase???

Maybe Barta's thinking is that if he hires an Izzo protege then Izzo won't want to play against a former assistant of his and will therefore give Iowa an easy victory!! Genius!!

I was going to say Wojick, but never had heard of him until yesterday.
Which by my book isn't going to give us the "wow" factor that we really need to get fans in the seats immediately.

Last edited:
I don't know much about Wojcik but I would be alright with Gregory for sure. I've seen Dayton play a couple times over Gregory's tenure and they're a fun team to watch. Kind of neat that Gregory actually had offered Marble a schollie to Dayton.

Google Image Result for http://www.netitor.com/photos/schools/unc/galleries/2002-MBB-action/a-wojcik%252flang-010802.JPG

Wojcik also directs the junior varsity program at Carolina. In 2001, he was named a ?head-coach-in-waiting? by Athlon Sports. The Wheeling, W. Va., native was an assistant coach under Matt Doherty at the University of Notre Dame in 1999-2000 and came to Carolina with Doherty on July 11, 2000. Prior to joining Doherty at Notre Dame, Wojcik (pronounced WO-jick) had been an assistant for nine years at the United States Naval Academy.

Doug Wojcik is in his second year as an assistant coach at the University of North Carolina. Last year at Carolina, the Tar Heels won 26 games, earned a No. 1 national ranking late in the regular season, posted a 13-3 league record and won a share of the ACC regular-season championship, advanced to the ACC Tournament finals, and were the No. 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament South Regional.

Wojcik also directs the junior varsity program at Carolina. In 2001, he was named a ?head-coach-in-waiting? by Athlon Sports. The Wheeling, W. Va., native was an assistant coach under Matt Doherty at the University of Notre Dame in 1999-2000 and came to Carolina with Doherty on July 11, 2000. Prior to joining Doherty at Notre Dame, Wojcik (pronounced WO-jick) had been an assistant for nine years at the United States Naval Academy.

I don't know much about Wojcik but I would be alright with Gregory for sure. I've seen Dayton play a couple times over Gregory's tenure and they're a fun team to watch. Kind of neat that Gregory actually had offered Marble a schollie to Dayton.
Gregory has made the NCAA's twice in 7 seasons. He's been over .500 three times in his career in conference and inherited a good situation at Dayton.

He's not the guy Iowa wants.

Which by my book isn't going to give us the "wow" factor that we really need to get fans in the seats immediately.

I think you need to take the wow factor stuff and put in in a box and bury it in the yard. If Barta pulls that off, dig it up and kiss it. If not, it's where it should be

Latest posts