JoshO, Sandfort and the bench; Connor's sly and one; the whole team

uihawk82

What a great 4 games. The huge blowout where the hawks could have scored 140. Then 3 gritty performances coming back from early double digit deficits twice. We all know Keegan, Perkins, JBo, PMac are playing well but the bench.

JoshO with 5 big points and some good D and rebounding, Sandfort again with big buckets and a guy in his jersey on one of them, JoeT with quick hands and some good assists and sheer terror for us fans, Kris Murray good again yesterday and all 4 games. Hell of a bench and some will start next year.

And what can you say about Connor's And One after the timeout with about 3 minutes to go. Shot clock getting low, no options, drives into that big guy and lifts him, then the jump into NBA foul draw while he shoots a sweet little jumper. Wow, that was a huge play and the hawks had had a couple of turnovers and the lead had gone to 1. If the hawks fail there and lose the lead it could have been so different. I have always faulted Connor's shooting for being such an outstanding athlete and with his strength I always wanted him to drive it in closer but I guess that was not his role. And now he is shooting better.

Filip, Kris M, Perkins, PMAC JoeT, Sandfort, JoshO, Ulis are a pretty good 8 to start with next year. But this year not done.

What a great 4 games. The huge blowout where the hawks could have scored 140. Then 3 gritty performances coming back from early double digit deficits twice. We all know Keegan, Perkins, JBo, PMac are playing well but the bench.

JoshO with 5 big points and some good D and rebounding, Sandfort again with big buckets and a guy in his jersey on one of them, JoeT with quick hands and some good assists and sheer terror for us fans, Kris Murray good again yesterday and all 4 games. Hell of a bench and some will start next year.

And what can you say about Connor's And One after the timeout with about 3 minutes to go. Shot clock getting low, no options, drives into that big guy and lifts him, then the jump into NBA foul draw while he shoots a sweet little jumper. Wow, that was a huge play and the hawks had had a couple of turnovers and the lead had gone to 1. If the hawks fail there and lose the lead it could have been so different. I have always faulted Connor's shooting for being such an outstanding athlete and with his strength I always wanted him to drive it in closer but I guess that was not his role. And now he is shooting better.

Filip, Kris M, Perkins, PMAC JoeT, Sandfort, JoshO, Ulis are a pretty good 8 to start with next year. But this year not done.
JT. Sheer terror for us fans . Good one!

I think if Fran was not so emotional about the win and his sons and the whole deal, he would have made a shout out to his end of bench guys who came in cold and made contributions. Josh O and Mulvey barely get a whiff at any minutes most games, and then here they are having to go into the biggest game of the year and perform. And they did. Sanford also played a big role. The way these guys are willing to come in and not be afraid and do their job was amazing.

I did chuckle when Josh, Mulvey and Sanford all had bench guy moments. Josh's airball, Mulvey launching an early 3, and Sandford's lob to the post where he threw a fastball Connor would have been proud of.

I like the future.

This starting five is good, but the bench is seriously the deepest I can ever recall Iowa having. I am a fan of coach Alford, but he never had more than seven guys and many years he only had five or six.

The bench on this team is unreal. Count me in the club of people who thought we were looking at 11th in the conference, but where this team deviates from other Fran teams is guys are playing loose when they come in. For years Fran had a pretty good rotation, but he seemed to be in guys' heads. They'd make a mistake, get pulled until the next TV timeout, then when they came back in they'd play super tight and single handedly cause a six or eight point swing, which would set Fran off and you could see the lugnuts on the wheels on the bus loosening up. It was like clockwork every time Franuary came around and in the BTT. He's really got guys playing like a team. I'm really impressed with his coaching this year.

Iowa gets better a lot of times when it brings in the bench, not many teams can say that. Iowa is going to be good at basketball for awhile my dudes. We have a coach that can identify talent, recruit it and develop it. He produces a 1st all conference or better player every season. Our attrition, while still happening and we're not immune to it, is a lot less than other programs and frankly has been since Fran got here. I am thankful Fran is locked up and anyone trying to sell that Iowa is going to take a step back next season because we lose Keegan and Jordan need to check yourself a little. It will without a doubt be difficult to replace them but at this point if you're picking Fran to not finish in the top half of the conference that's on you for not paying near enough attention to this program.

Iowa gets better a lot of times when it brings in the bench, not many teams can say that. Iowa is going to be good at basketball for awhile my dudes. We have a coach that can identify talent, recruit it and develop it. He produces a 1st all conference or better player every season. Our attrition, while still happening and we're not immune to it, is a lot less than other programs and frankly has been since Fran got here. I am thankful Fran is locked up and anyone trying to sell that Iowa is going to take a step back next season because we lose Keegan and Jordan need to check yourself a little. It will without a doubt be difficult to replace them but at this point if you're picking Fran to not finish in the top half of the conference that's on you for not paying near enough attention to this program.
Bringing in reserves that play faster and lock up defense is a luxury. Opposing teams often can be worn down by that point if Iowa was running up to that point. In addition, they may not be ready for the mental challenge at that point in the game of faster and harder defending players. Add to that, that Iowa's bench can typically outperform the opposing team's reserves, and its a good situation.

In addition, Iowa doesn't have to change style of play because of personnel in the game. Players are pretty interchangeable and adaptable.

This starting five is good, but the bench is seriously the deepest I can ever recall Iowa having. I am a fan of coach Alford, but he never had more than seven guys and many years he only had five or six.

The bench on this team is unreal. Count me in the club of people who thought we were looking at 11th in the conference, but where this team deviates from other Fran teams is guys are playing loose when they come in. For years Fran had a pretty good rotation, but he seemed to be in guys' heads. They'd make a mistake, get pulled until the next TV timeout, then when they came back in they'd play super tight and single handedly cause a six or eight point swing, which would set Fran off and you could see the lugnuts on the wheels on the bus loosening up. It was like clockwork every time Franuary came around and in the BTT. He's really got guys playing like a team. I'm really impressed with his coaching this year.
What you described was even happening last year with JT. He would come in and try to do too much too quick, and then would get stuck riding the pine. Fran has shown confidence in his bench and they know they won't get pulled. This could be a building block for Fran and his teams moving forward.

I do think it has helped that the talent coming out of Iowa has seemed to be high for the last 5-8 years. Seems like there is always a high 4-star or 5-star player coming out of the state.

Great discussion.

Lots of discussion on the Purdue board about the officials not calling enough fouls during the Big Ten season and BTT, and how that might change in the NCAA tourney.

I tend to agree. Iowa will have to adjust because I think the games will be officiated much more tightly, with less tolerance for contact. Iowa is really a finesse team that likes to run and score, so if the officiating changes, it could favor Iowa a little bit.

Great discussion.

Lots of discussion on the Purdue board about the officials not calling enough fouls during the Big Ten season and BTT, and how that might change in the NCAA tourney.

I tend to agree. Iowa will have to adjust because I think the games will be officiated much more tightly, with less tolerance for contact. Iowa is really a finesse team that likes to run and score, so if the officiating changes, it could favor Iowa a little bit.

LOL. Iowa can play finesse just fine. The Big Ten officials let home and favored teams get away with murder every freaking night, which is probably part of the reason the B1G hasn't won a title in 20 years. Iowa was simply matching Purdue's "physicality." Cockburn and Edey are two guys who better be careful in the dance because they both should have had 2 fouls by the first TV timeout the last times they played Iowa. I'm pretty sure that if they draw a Big East or Pac 10 crew Purdue could have 6 cumulative fouls called on its two solid centers by halftime if they aren't careful and they want one of them on the court at all times.

Has Rebraca said if he's coming back or not yet?
I thought he was only here for one year? If he has another year, I can't imagine him staying if Fran tells him he'll continue to be slotted at the Center position which he played this year. He was never a Center, is not a Center, and that will never be his best position. Now if Fran tells him that Mulvey and The Big O are going to alternate as Centers next year and he'll be slotted as a starting power forward -- and he works on his jump shot -- then I could see him sticking around.
Also wonder if both JT and Uhlis will stick around. JT seemed to be in the doghouse near the end of the season and a couple games in a row his body language was poor and when he did get in he messed up -- but then at the end and in the BTTourney it was JT as the 1st sub off the bench. With the emergence of Perkins at the G spot, JT will have a hard decision to make after this season. Same with Uhlis. Whatever they decide, glad they could experience yesterday as Hawk.

Great discussion.

The BTen used to be the most physical conference in the land, but from the games I watched this year, I don't think that's the case anymore. The Big East games were like watching a football game -- with no refs! I think those teams may have real trouble if the NCAA tourney refs call it close. That said, yesterday's Purdue game was the most physical game I think the Hawks played this year, outside of the Rutgers contests. Ivey just took a beating yesterday: JT hard-hipping him on every attempted drive, inside guys hammering him when he drove the lane -- dude looked like a physical wreck by the end of that game.

I thought he was only here for one year? If he has another year, I can't imagine him staying if Fran tells him he'll continue to be slotted at the Center position which he played this year. He was never a Center, is not a Center, and that will never be his best position. Now if Fran tells him that Mulvey and The Big O are going to alternate as Centers next year and he'll be slotted as a starting power forward -- and he works on his jump shot -- then I could see him sticking around.
Also wonder if both JT and Uhlis will stick around. JT seemed to be in the doghouse near the end of the season and a couple games in a row his body language was poor and when he did get in he messed up -- but then at the end and in the BTTourney it was JT as the 1st sub off the bench. With the emergence of Perkins at the G spot, JT will have a hard decision to make after this season. Same with Uhlis. Whatever they decide, glad they could experience yesterday as Hawk.

First off Rebraca has had a hell of a ride this year and I hope he has at least 3 more games. But I can't imagine Rebraca starting next year if not at center. PMac and KrisM will be the forwards, Perkins probably at a 2/wing guard, and maybe JOeT at the point.

But if Perkins gets better at dribbling and starts at the point then maybe Rebraca can start.

Either way, Rebraca can play a 4 or a 5 and give Fran a lot of combinations but I dont see Filip gunning it from the arc.

And if Perkins is a starting point guard then Sandfort might start at the 2/wing as he can come out hot and gun you into a lead.

Has Rebraca said if he's coming back or not yet?

I sure hope he does as he has had quite a ride this year. He will be coming back to ICity in the future for anniversaries for this team. He has a chance to play on another good team next year. If he can really start nailing that 10-15 footer that will help. I would say right now there are 3 sure starters next year in PMac, KrisM, and Perkins. Rebraca could start at the 5 spot and fill in at the 4 especially if he hits that mid-range shot. But if his studies are done he may leave.

Everyone who was eligible to play collegiate sports during the COVID year was given an extra year of eligibility. I thought everyone knew that.

I think making the NCAA is reasonable for next year. If Keegan's brother emerges like him this year, we could be looking at a similar position as we are now.

I think making the NCAA is reasonable for next year. If Keegan's brother emerges like him this year, we could be looking at a similar position as we are now.

Yep, but Perkins, PMac, JoeT, and Rebraca if he stays need to improve their jump shooting. Losing two very good arc shooters in JBo and Keegan. Sandfort is a shooter