Josh Oglesby

Worst shooting shooter I've seen in my lifetime. 27% shooter with slow feet. What gets me, and I see this with every team i've ever watched in pre-game drills is this: Why do players take lazy shots during warm ups? Does anyone think that's the kind of shot they'll be shooting during the game? I watched a piece on Dirk Nowitski 2 years ago about how he practices shots like he takes during the game. Practices them over and over and at game-speed. Doesn't this make more sense than lazily spotting up from 3, and slowly releasing shot after shot before the game, with your toes not even getting off the ground? I'll never understand this from so called "shooters".

You are SO SO right. Drives me nuts to watch everyone jakking 3's during warmups as opposed to practicing shots they more than likely are going to be taking in the game.

What is also amazing is a fanbase that is so negative towards a role player...just stupid

Well, considering his role is to shoot 3's then yes he does that. But whether or not he makes them is another story. He defense is getting better but he is far from being on the court solely for that reason.

Nobody is negative my friend. I think most of us are just simply stating facts. It's not personal. Relax.

And the other 7,506 threads about this very same topic just weren't enough. Amazing how much discussion Oglesby gets...one would think he is the difference of Iowa winning and/or losing every game...take the focus elsewhere this has worn its welcome out. Even if he went 5-7 and Iowa lost the game by two it would still be his fault for Iowa losing...just sick and tired of reading the same stuff about the kid that has been said at least 75,000 times already. It is utterly amazing...

And the other 7,506 threads about this very same topic just weren't enough. Amazing how much discussion Oglesby gets...one would think he is the difference of Iowa winning and/or losing every game...take the focus elsewhere this has worn its welcome out. Even if he went 5-7 and Iowa lost the game by two it would still be his fault for Iowa losing...just sick and tired of reading the same stuff about the kid that has been said at least 75,000 times already. It is utterly amazing...

I agree with you but I just dont know what Im more sick of. All the Oglesby threads or you having to complain in every single Oglesby thread.

I agree with you but I just dont know what Im more sick of. All the Oglesby threads or you having to complain in every single Oglesby thread.

Well, I won't be anymore, he is doing everything he is supposed to do as a role player except hitting 3's on a consistent basis, good thing he is the only one. That is my real complaint, Oglesby is not the only one struggling...McCabe has gone way down, White isn't better and Marble is just as inconsistent, but that is okay.

Why would an announcer who doesn't know crap about Iowa saying Oglesby is a sharpshooter bother me anyway.

Did it bother anyone when the same guy said that Marble is as good as any guard in the Big Ten when he is playing well because that is an absolute farce?

That is all, I guess I have to remember the same people ripped Gatens until he went on his tear, but didn't see how well he was playing is the other areas of the game.

Well, I won't be anymore, he is doing everything he is supposed to do as a role player except hitting 3's on a consistent basis, good thing he is the only one. That is my real complaint, Oglesby is not the only one struggling...McCabe has gone way down, White isn't better and Marble is just as inconsistent, but that is okay.

Why would an announcer who doesn't know crap about Iowa saying Oglesby is a sharpshooter bother me anyway.

Did it bother anyone when the same guy said that Marble is as good as any guard in the Big Ten when he is playing well because that is an absolute farce?

That is all, I guess I have to remember the same people ripped Gatens until he went on his tear, but didn't see how well he was playing is the other areas of the game.

Please tell me more now that Iowa has won 3 in a row.

Just stop. I'd rather have Seth Gorney shooting those 3's.

You actually take credence in what announcers say...that is what is sad.

That is largely based on material fed to them by the sports information department in prep for the game. If the SID's office says it, it must be true! Trust me, the announcing team is largely regurgitating what it has been spoon-fed by its own production assistants, who in turn got the material, stats, etc. from the schools. Jon Miller likely knows all about that.

Agree with all of that. Oglesby has turned into a message board punching bag.

Agree with all of that. Oglesby has turned into a message board punching bag.

I am not advocating more playing time for Oglesby or defending his shot selection by any means. I just don't get the fascination to turn a thread from a guy asking if a player was hurt into a thread talking about how bad he is.

Basabe was that guy last season, but it got far worse when Gatens started to hit shots.

A few weeks back, I stated that if he didn't start hitting shots give his minutes to Ingram. My stance has changed since, but Oglesby still needs to hit shots. Sometimes kids can't turn it on during game time, anyone remember Jay Webb? He was an enigma until his Sr. year but he was a role player as well during his career, just like Oglesby will be.

It must make people feel good.

What exactly is his role if not a 3 point shooter?

I have to disagree, when the game is on the line who is in the game more, JO or ZM? Clearly it is ZM.

We are better with him getting less shots. Not bagging on him but that's what I see...

It is all about shot selection for me...if he misses his first couple and goes to the bench I am fine. If he takes good shots and misses, no issues, he is one of a few guys that has no business forcing anything when he hasn't made diddly. Shot selection for a poor shooting team is so critical because bad shots lead to a lot of transition opportunities when guys are out of position because the shot was quick or just out of the offense. No problem if you think him shooting less is better, it is he is the worst shooter ever and should never play stuff that is out of line

Latest posts