Josh Dix Commits to Hawkeyes

That jump shot he has will translate nicely I bet. It's a smooth stroke. He's not what I'd describe as a quick athlete but he's smooth. He's always under control and sees the floor. I like court awareness and not forcing up shots. Some of those traits are tough to coach into a player they either have it or they don't. Comes with a lot of floor time

That jump shot he has will translate nicely I bet. It's a smooth stroke. He's not what I'd describe as a quick athlete but he's smooth. He's always under control and sees the floor. I like court awareness and not forcing up shots. Some of those traits are tough to coach into a player they either have it or they don't. Comes with a lot of floor time
I hope your wrong on the quickness comment. No matter how good a coach is you can’t coach quickness. Thus, lack of quickness leads to poor defense. Lord knows here at Iowa we have never had a problem with defensive quickness (tongue in cheek).

I know some on here feel the younger guys who have been waiting on the bench have a quickness that has been lacking. I certainly hope so as there will be a big hole to fill at center. I know the transfer center may be a serviceable type of center, but he abilities will fall way short of what we have been blessed to witness with Garza. No knock on the transfer just stating the obvious. Doesn’t help that Nunge left also. Major ouch in the post positions. If the quicker guards turn out to be like the California transfer we had a couple of years ago this could be a year of patience for us.

Been there done that already. There was a group of us over on the old Hawk Forum (now dearly departed) that agonizingly did the game thread through the Lickliter years ( or should I say “Lickliter Tears”.

Watching game after game after game of Lickliter basketball could be used as an interrogation method against enemies of the state. Likely the League of Nations would outlaw it as inhumane and declare it illegal.

All joking aside I look forward to at the very least watching these younger players develope to see which ones emerge as the best players. Of course hoping for the best, but tempered with realistic expectations. Expecting Iowa to be on the outside looking in, but if both Murray’s exhibit similar skill sets and the new transfer center exceeds expectations then we could possible see us squeeze into the NCAA tourney. Not expecting it but just being hopeful.

I hope your wrong on the quickness comment. No matter how good a coach is you can’t coach quickness. Thus, lack of quickness leads to poor defense. Lord knows here at Iowa we have never had a problem with defensive quickness (tongue in cheek).

I know some on here feel the younger guys who have been waiting on the bench have a quickness that has been lacking. I certainly hope so as there will be a big hole to fill at center. I know the transfer center may be a serviceable type of center, but he abilities will fall way short of what we have been blessed to witness with Garza. No knock on the transfer just stating the obvious. Doesn’t help that Nunge left also. Major ouch in the post positions. If the quicker guards turn out to be like the California transfer we had a couple of years ago this could be a year of patience for us.

Been there done that already. There was a group of us over on the old Hawk Forum (now dearly departed) that agonizingly did the game thread through the Lickliter years ( or should I say “Lickliter Tears”.

Watching game after game after game of Lickliter basketball could be used as an interrogation method against enemies of the state. Likely the League of Nations would outlaw it as inhumane and declare it illegal.

All joking aside I look forward to at the very least watching these younger players develope to see which ones emerge as the best players. Of course hoping for the best, but tempered with realistic expectations. Expecting Iowa to be on the outside looking in, but if both Murray’s exhibit similar skill sets and the new transfer center exceeds expectations then we could possible see us squeeze into the NCAA tourney. Not expecting it but just being hopeful.
Yeah I'm not sure if he'll be any quicker then what CJ Fredrick was. They seem similar athletically at first glance anyway. Effort can make up for some of that but still it's like height you either have it or you don't.

It's really tough to know what to expect this yr. It'd be pretty unfair to expect a top 5 finish in the league next yr I would say. Losing the best player Iowa's pretty much ever had along with another NBA level talent sure is a lot.

That said I don't think we should suck either. They have lots of pieces. Both Murrays could be extremely good they have a pretty high ceiling. They'll play fast and put up a lot of points I'm sure. Sorting out roles for some of new guys and those who'll be playing more mins will be interesting.

Yeah I'm not sure if he'll be any quicker then what CJ Fredrick was. They seem similar athletically at first glance anyway. Effort can make up for some of that but still it's like height you either have it or you don't.
for some of new guys and those who'll be playing more mins will be interesting.
I thought CJ, when healthy, was 1 of the most athletic members of the team. This is why he was better at D than anyone else.

I thought CJ, when healthy, was 1 of the most athletic members of the team. This is why he was better at D than anyone else.
I think he played hard. He has a team first mentality and I really liked his overall game it's a shame he left. But I don't think he was as athletic as what Isiah Moss was. He could leave his feet and do things in the air in the lane CJ couldn't. I don't think Moss played as hard as CJ especially on D but I do think he was faster & quicker. It'd be close though.

Those Oregon guards kinda exposed CJ some. He's not on the same level as some of those guys.