Jordan Canzeri

That breakdown is depressing. Unreal. I think if Canzeri is ready he should get reps early and often. Agree with earlier post to get some separation. Win now.

Why would any good running back want to go to Iowa?

Wow, that is tough luck when you put together that breakdown.

hate to break it to you Payne was indeed redshirted and could have played the last couple of games but the staff held him out to allow him another year, McCall will be redshirted as it occured before the actual limit of 25% of games, the redshirt comes off only if he playes again not "if he is able to play"

also the medical hardship rule only applies to the application for a 6th year

Let's not jump to conclusions. Technically, McCall cannot be redshirted this season. He played, therefore he cannot be redshirted.

However, McCall may be eligible for a "medical hardship waiver" which almost everyone erroneously refers to as a medical redshirt. In order for an athlete to receive a "medical hardship waiver" three requirements must be meet.

First, the injury must have occurred in the first-half of the season. Second, the athlete cannot have competed in more than thirty percent of the regularly scheduled games. Obviously, McCall's injury meets the first two criteria.

Nevertheless, the third requirement is the kicker. The injury must keep the athlete from competing in the remainder of the regular season. If Iowa's medical staff clears McCall to play against Nebraska on Nov. 26 or the review of the medical records, MRIs, x-rays, etc. submitted with the request indicate that McCall could have played before the end of the season; he is not eligible for a "medical hardship waiver."

Notice Cully Payne has not applied for a "medical hardship waiver." This is a gut feeling, there is no evidence to support it, but I get the impression Payne could have played at the end of last season.

I don't want to rain on everyone's parade. But, it is not a foregone conclusion that McCall will get an extra year of eligibility.

It is, for all intents and purposes, a redshirt.

All those applications for an extra year? The ones that routinely get turned down are the ones that took their redshirt for developmental purposes. The way the NCAA looks at it, if you use up your redshirt year to better prepare for the college game, that's your business. But don't expect sympathy if you blow out your knee in the preseason of your senior year, because you could have used that redshirt year if you'd saved it.

McCall will get an extra year, as he played in 1/4 of the very first game before getting hurt, and he's still got his redshirt year available to him. He's a cinch for an extra year.

All those applications for an extra year? The ones that routinely get turned down are the ones that took their redshirt for developmental purposes. The way the NCAA looks at it, if you use up your redshirt year to better prepare for the college game, that's your business. But don't expect sympathy if you blow out your knee in the preseason of your senior year, because you could have used that redshirt year if you'd saved it.

McCall will get an extra year, as he played in 1/4 of the very first game before getting hurt, and he's still got his redshirt year available to him. He's a cinch for an extra year.

There is no doubt that he can redshirt in the coming years. The question isn't whether he can play three more years, but whether he can play four more years. In order to play four more years, McCall has to receive a "medical hardship waiver" for this season.

He played this season, therefore, he cannot redshirt this season. Your reading comrehension isn't very good. What part of if a player participates in a game he cannot redshirt do you not understand?

There is no doubt that he can redshirt in the coming years. The question isn't whether he can play three more years, but whether he can play four more years. In order to play four more years, McCall has to receive a "medical hardship waiver" for this season.

He played this season, therefore, he cannot redshirt this season. Your reading comrehension isn't very good. What part of if a player participates in a game he cannot redshirt do you not understand?

What part of "he will receive an extra year of eligibility" do YOU not understand? They guys who don't get that extra year are the ones who used their redshirt year for developmental purposes. McCall still has that in his back pocket. Odds are, he can play 4 years as long as he doesn't use that redshirt for a reason other than a future injury.

This. They will have no problem getting him his redshirt.

What part of "he will receive an extra year of eligibility" do YOU not understand? They guys who don't get that extra year are the ones who used their redshirt year for developmental purposes. McCall still has that in his back pocket. Odds are, he can play 4 years as long as he doesn't use that redshirt for a reason other than a future injury.

You are absolutely clueless. He played, therefore, he only has three years of eligibility remaining without a "medical hardship waiver." You have no unadulterated horse droppings idea what you are talking about.

You are absolutely clueless. He played, therefore, he only has three years of eligibility remaining without a "medical hardship waiver." You have no unadulterated horse droppings idea what you are talking about.

And he is VERY likely to get a medical hardship waiver. Which would give him 4 years of eligibility left to play. Making this year, for all intents and purposes, a redshirt year.

Seriously, do you even know what the phrase "for all intents and purposes" means? How do you think that the misnomer "medical redshirt" developed in the first place? Because when you get that waiver, your injury year basically serves as a redshirt year.

There's no way he won't get the hardship this year. He broke his leg. There's no way he'll be able to play again this year. I don't know why you're worried he won't get the medical hardship.

You do a very poor job of articulating yourself. You contradicted me immediately. Just because he has a redshirt year available doesn't mean he gets to play another year. So now, you are saying, he needs to get a "medical hardship waiver" to play four more seasons. That is not what you posted earlier.

You do a very poor job of articulating yourself. You contradicted me immediately. Just because he has a redshirt year available doesn't mean he gets to play another year. So now, you are saying, he needs to get a "medical hardship waiver" to play four more seasons. That is not what you posted earlier.

I said that it is FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES, a redshirt. That was my very first sentence in this thread.

Look at Keith Smith (WR for Purdue): he used his redshirt year as a freshman. Then he blows out his knee last year (as a senior). The NCAA turned his application for an extra year down, because if he hadn't used his redshirt as a freshman (by choice or for developmental purposes), he could have used it last year.

If McCall were a redshirt freshman this year, he would, in all likelihood, be SOL with the NCAA. But he's a true freshman, which means that he is very likely to get that waiver. Which, again, makes this year basically a redshirt year.

There's no way he won't get the hardship this year. He broke his leg. There's no way he'll be able to play again this year. I don't know why you're worried he won't get the medical hardship.

I am not worried about it. I wanted to point out the fact that if he can play again this year, McCall will not get a "medical hardship waiver."
The doctors at the University Hospitals will determine the decision. The Nebraska game is 12 weeks away. For all we know McCall's injury might only keep him out six to eight weeks. What I wanted to point out is that Hawk fans cannot automatically assume that he is done for the year & will be redshirted.

Everybody last year predicted Iowa would go 12-0 or 11-1. How did that turn out? All I'm trying to say is let's not count the chickens before they hatch. Look, you are automatically saying he is out for the year. We don't know that!

I am not worried about it. I wanted to point out the fact that if he can play again this year, McCall will not get a "medical hardship waiver."
The doctors at the University Hospitals will determine the decision. The Nebraska game is 12 weeks away. For all we know McCall's injury might only keep him out six to eight weeks. What I wanted to point out is that Hawk fans cannot automatically assume that he is done for the year & will be redshirted.

Everybody last year predicted Iowa would go 12-0 or 11-1. How did that turn out? All I'm trying to say is let's not count the chickens before they hatch. Look, you are automatically saying he is out for the year. We don't know that!

A broken leg is not easy to come back from. Mike Vick broke his tibia on August 16, 2003. He didn't return to action until November 30. That's 14 weeks, and Vick is one of the best athletic specimens to have ever lived.

It's going to be very difficult for him to come back this year, plain and simple.

And you need to put down the bottle and understand that he WILL play 4 years including the 'hardship' year.

Boring debate. Bring it back to Canzeri. I think if he is good enough to play, meaning he is better than White, then you find ways to use him now.

Even if Coker, Johnson and Canzeri are all healthy, there isn't any reason not to use three running backs in a game. Hell, didn't four tight ends catch passes yesterday, including a 4th string true freshman?

In general, I think the mindset on true freshmen has shifted. If a guy is good enough to play, he plays. I am guessing the percentage of student athletes who redshirt their freshman season in football, then go on to play four consecutive years at the same institution without any significant injury is increasingly small. Particularly for running backs. There are so many variables that pop up with injuries, academics, transferring, unplanned pregnancies...if a guy is good enough to play, there is no sense holding him out. Odds are that guy isn't going to play four consecutive injury-free years after the redshirt season for the University of Iowa anyway.

Has there been a scholarship running back (all 5 years) who has done this in the Ferentz era at Iowa?

The only ones to come to mind for me, and this was at the end of the Fry era/beginning of Ferentz, are Ladell Betts and Rob Thein (with Thein moving to fullback as a senior anyway). Both redshirted as true freshmen (in different years), and played four full seasons for Iowa after that.

Might be others, but you see my point.

Have you watched any Iowa football in the last decade? When was the last time Iowa had less than 1 RB injury in a season?

There are definitely a couple of reasons to burn his red shirt at this point:

1. McCall is now going to get a RS - why have those two guys in the same class? Get some separation there.

2. We aren't that deep at RB right now. Bullock has moved to WR, DeAndre Johnson still looks a bit tentative because of his injured knee (and he admits that he still deals with swelling in that knee - which is always a good sign), & I think we can all agree that Jason White, while being a great special teams player, is no more than a serviceable back up. Canzeri could be our #2 RB at this point.

3. Did I mention the AIRBHG? Just to remind everybody:

2002:
1) Aaron Greving, the projected starter is injured in fall and spring and abruptly quits mid way through the season.
2) Justice Hariston fails to qualify, goes to prep school and then to Purdue where he has a decent, injury free, career.

2003:
1) Superstud Jermelle Lewis tears ACL and misses first half of season and is not the same.
2) Promising frosh Albert Young breaks leg. Out for year.
3) AJ Johnson lasts a semester before getting kicked out.

2004:
1) Shonn Greene fails to qualify out of high school
2) Fred Russell leaves early
3) Lewis tears other ACL
4) Albert Young tears ACL misses second full season.
5) Marcus Schnoor tears ACL
6) I think Champ Davis tears an ACL at some point as well.

2005:
1) Ferentz tricks the Angry Iowa-Running-Back-Hating-God by briefly moving Damian Sims to corner. Sims is the only scholarship RB to go four years without a major injury.

2006:
1) Kalvin Bailey - flunked out after one year
2) Corey Robertson - flunked out after one year

2007:
1) Shonn Greene ineligible
2) Dana Brown - beats up girlfriend and gets the boot during the great purge of '07

2008:
1) Jevon Pugh - left school after one year
2) Jeff Brinson - injured and redshirts
3) Nate Guillory - leaves in fall camp
4) Paki #2 on depth chart throughout season

2009:
1) Shonn Greene leaves early
2) Jewel Hampton tears ACL in fall camp
3) Brinson still injured has one carry
4) Adam Robinson and Brandon Wegher do a nice job but usually one or both is at least hobbled
5) Paki again a staple on depth chart

2010:
1) Brinson leaves before spring ball
2) Wegher - slips one past the goalies
3) Coker - breaks collarbone before pads are even on
4) Hampton - torn ACL by game three, transfers prior to bowl
5) Robinson - concussions, then academics, not in good standing
6) Paki apparently also injured.

Now you can add McCall to that list.

As far as I'm concerned, Iowa shouldn't ever willingly redshirt a RB until we've had a guy start for at least two straight years at that position.

Our attrition history there, for whatever reason, is probably the worst in the country, and after seeing McCall go down Saturday, it only affirms my opinion that was need to have as many guys ready at that position as we possibly can.

Burn Canzeri's redshirt. He may be our #2 RB and AIRBHG shows that we can use all the depth we can get at RB.

Great work. Horrible to read.

With the way things are going, Canzeri won't use up all his eligibility for one reason or another anyways. So let the redshirt burn.

Relax everyone and all. May McCall recover and do well. May he come back and be healthy for 3 or 4 years.

What is will be.

Here's the deal, we dont know how bad the break was. If bad it could mean 2 years and by then he would be buried in the depth chart. If it's not that bad he could be back next year, but not before.
No need to burn a shirt, we still have Coker, who I know many have jumped ship on, but he is what he is, and people either "run over people" or they dont. I think he has shown what type of runner he is. We got White, who is Hawk thru and thru and is willing to do whatever he can (balls to the wall). Johnson who redshirted last year (another year to heal and learn the system) is supposedly 100%.
So again I say dont go burning any shirts just yet. If they have time to become a better student of the game and go thru Doyle a time or two, they become better right off the get go. With that said Mc Call was all that he was advertised as and then some. Wish for him a complete and speedy recovery all while using it as a learning oppertunity.

Last edited:

Latest posts