Jon's new article

I’m frustrated. I love Iowa Basketball. I want nothing more than to watch great basketball every year. Fran has brought some excitement back to the program. I’ve definitely been entertained the last 5 years. This year is brutal yes, it’s easy to call out Fran right now. Jon’s article is realistic, even if you disagree. We are never going to be Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. The problem with it all is Iowa fans are rabid and have huge hearts. We are passionate. We want nothing more than to compete with the big boys every year. It often leads to major disappointment or major frustration, because in all reality, we will never compete with the big boys. Jon is realistic. Fran needs a longer leash. If it continues the next year or two..move on.

Iowa Basketball will never reach any of our expectations. It’s a hard thing to fathom. I struggle with it too. But at the end of the day, Duke is Duke and Iowa is Iowa..and it forever will be. Doesn’t matter who coaches.
Why even field a team then? Why ever play a game if we never have a shot at doing something big? Let me guess...its some lame ass excuse about population and recruiting? Or maybe it's that we are in the Midwest and sometimes it gets cold...damn cold? You and Jon are what aggravate me about some Iowa fans. Woe is us, we can't be good, excuse, excuse. All the while Wisconsin shows us that none of that stuff matters. Go away already...the whole lot of yous.

You give a guy more chances if you see a reason to do so. I don’t get how you write that this team doesn’t play together and doesn’t try on defense but don’t see that as a reason to move on. It’s not like we have a great class coming in either. You’re basically looking at 3-4 years before this could potentially turn around.

I thought there was maybe some fire in Garza until last night when he got out of the way like a wuss and let a guard bring it home to his momma. If I was as worthless as him at rebounding and playing defense I would have still put that punk on his ass and gave him notice you aren’t going to try and embarrass me and my teammates. This team has no backbone or pride. They let Rutgers turn the last few minutes into a playground slam dunk contest
That disappointed me too. He could have put that kid on his ass at least. Instead he tried to avoid being on a poster. The last few mins of that game were pathetic. They pretty much quit. It's one thing to not be good at D it's another to not even try. That's on the coaches to drill into these players. Now that those players have that lack of effort in them good luck getting it back if they don't have anything positive happen to them on the court.

That’s where everyone’s wrong. There’s not a huge amount of talent. The recruiting hype and high school film (which is crap for predicting college performance, btw) made you think there’s all kinds of talent, but there isn’t.

If there were “so much talent,” we wouldn’t be having this thread.
I agree with this.
Fran sold us a box of uhtoff’s and when we opened it we got a box of Sonderleiters.

That’s where everyone’s wrong. There’s not a huge amount of talent. The recruiting hype and high school film (which is crap for predicting college performance, btw) made you think there’s all kinds of talent, but there isn’t.

I think many share your opinion.
Here's my take.
George Raveling leaves Iowa and Tom Davis goes to the Elite 8. The difference? Coaching. Hungry coaches eager to prove themselves get more done.

Why even field a team then? Why ever play a game if we never have a shot at doing something big? Let me guess...its some lame ass excuse about population and recruiting? Or maybe it's that we are in the Midwest and sometimes it gets cold...damn cold? You and Jon are what aggravate me about some Iowa fans. Woe is us, we can't be good, excuse, excuse. All the while Wisconsin shows us that none of that stuff matters. Go away already...the whole lot of yous.

This is from the U of Iowa directly.

http://hawkeyesports.com/news/2012/4/9/mccaffery_hopes_to_emulate_5_former_iowa_coaches.aspx

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Is it possible for an Iowa men's basketball coach to sustain success?

Most everyone agrees that Fran McCaffery has the Hawkeyes pointed in the right direction, but some doubt an Iowa coach can build a program that consistently is in the Big Ten's first division, has 20-win seasons and plays in the NCAA Tournament. Those doubters either have a bad memory or are still in their teens.

win3.jpg
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

It is true that Iowa has been in the doldrums lately. Under three different coaches in the last 13 seasons, the Hawkeyes have cracked the Big Ten's first division only three times. Not good.

But cheer up, Hawkeye fans. History tells us it is possible for Iowa to sustain success on the hardwood. Here are five coaches who have done it since men's basketball became a revenue-producing spectator sport in the 1940s.

POPS HARRISON . . . Seven-plus seasons (1943-49 and part of 1950) . . . His teams attracted capacity crowds to the Fieldhouse at a time when a full house was uncommon in college basketball. In 1945, Iowa won the Big Ten championship and lost only one game. Harrison's teams twice finished second in the league, third once. He produced the Hawkeyes' first All-American, Murray Wier, who was called Iowa's most exciting player of the 20th century by Al Grady, the long-time sports editor of the Iowa City Press-Citizen. Harrison had a 48-38 (56 percent) record in the Big Ten, and was 98-42 (70 percent) in all games.

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif
BUCKY O'CONNOR . . . Seven-plus seasons (1952-58 and part of 1950) . . . After finishing second in the Big Ten in two of his first three seasons, he coached the Hawkeyes to back-to-back league titles in 1955 and 1956. Both of those teams reached the NCAA Final Four. The '56 club played in the national championship game, losing to San Francisco and the legendary Bill Russell. Four players started for both of those title teams: Bill Logan, Carl Cain, Bill Seaberg and Sharm Scheuerman. O'Connor's death in a one-car accident in 1958 stunned the sports world. He had a 71-41 (65 percent) record in the Big Ten, and was 107-54 (66 percent) in all games.
RALPH MILLER . . . Six seasons (1965-70) . . . Attendance had fallen off at the Fieldhouse when Miller arrived, but it didn't take long before his entertaining style of play was attracting capacity crowds. His 1970 team was undefeated in the Big Ten, averaging 102.9 points a game, a record that still stands. The 1968 team won a share of the league title, and two other clubs finished in third place. Some of Miller's best players came out of junior college. Sam Williams was the Big Ten's 1968 MVP. John Johnson and Fred Brown were stars on the 1970 title team and went on to successful NBA careers. Miller had a 54-30 (64 percent) record in the Big Ten, and was 95-53 (64 percent) in all games.

LUTE OLSON . . . Nine seasons (1975-83) . . . He slowly built momentum for a run of five straight 20-win seasons that included a Big Ten championship, a Final Four appearance and three straight second-place league finishes. The 1980 team was perhaps Olson's most memorable. That club had a perfect nonconference record and was ranked in the top 10, but injuries took it out of the Big Ten race and the Hawkeyes barely made the NCAA Tournament. Then star point guard Ronnie Lester, playing on a bad knee, led Iowa to the Final Four, where his knee buckled again. Olson found a fertile recruiting field in Chicago, where he got Lester, Steve Krafcisin, Kenny Arnold and Kevin Boyle. Assistant coach Kirk Speraw was a member of the Big Ten championship team in 1979. Radio analyst Bobby Hansen was a key player on the 1980-83 teams. The '83 team was the first to play in Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Olson had a 92-70 (57 percent) Big Ten record, and was 168-90 (65 percent) in all games.

TOM DAVIS . . . Thirteen seasons (1987-99) . . . He came roaring out of the gate with 18 straight wins and to the top of some national polls in his first season, which produced a school-record 30 victories. Four members of that 1987 team -- B.J. Armstrong, Kevin Gamble, Brad Lohaus and Roy Marble -- went on to play in the NBA. Davis had 77 wins in his first three seasons, won at least 20 games 10 times, and earned nine NCAA tournament berths. His NCAA record was 13-9, his '87 team reached the Elite Eight, and he never lost a first-round game. He has won more total games and more Big Ten games than any coach in Iowa history. Davis had a 125-105 (54 percent) record in the Big Ten, and was 269-140 (66 percent) in all games.

The fairest way to judge a coach is by his conference record. All five men listed above won well over half of their Big Ten games. Their combined league totals are 385 victories and 279 losses (58 percent).

McCaffery has sparked renewed interest in Iowa basketball. Hawkeye fans have embraced his style of play. Attendance is up and enthusiasm is back at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Iowa's roster next season will have some talented sophomores and juniors, plus five promising freshmen. McCaffery seems to be building a strong program like those of his five successful predecessors. The future looks good for Iowa men's basketball.

thhh.jpg

Last edited:
If we finish 2-16 or 3-15 ish, then make the NIT next year, will that be a sign that the program is back on the upswing or will that not be good enough as it would be three years in a row without a trip to the dance?

Don't see us being an NCAA team next year.

I’m frustrated. I love Iowa Basketball. I want nothing more than to watch great basketball every year. Fran has brought some excitement back to the program. I’ve definitely been entertained the last 5 years. This year is brutal yes, it’s easy to call out Fran right now. Jon’s article is realistic, even if you disagree. We are never going to be Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. The problem with it all is Iowa fans are rabid and have huge hearts. We are passionate. We want nothing more than to compete with the big boys every year. It often leads to major disappointment or major frustration, because in all reality, we will never compete with the big boys. Jon is realistic. Fran needs a longer leash. If it continues the next year or two..move on.

Iowa Basketball will never reach any of our expectations. It’s a hard thing to fathom. I struggle with it too. But at the end of the day, Duke is Duke and Iowa is Iowa..and it forever will be. Doesn’t matter who coaches.

Look what the Clowns tasted for 5 years under a coach who actually recruited talent (mainly from outside our borders) and knew how to assemble a team. They're still blowing us away in recruiting and they should be much better next year. I don't expect to be Duke or Kentucky, but for fucks sake we should be able to stay on par with the Clowns. Not like they're an elite bball program.

I got ripped a few weeks ago for saying I didn’t like one player on the roster . I’m not changing my stance

Dude, JoBo on most other teams would be a killer player. You exaggerate or are stupid. If I was Cook and considering leaving one way or another I'd start playing to be injury free. If a coach can't do better than this, I'm not going to risk.

Agreed.

"Iowa basketball will never meet our expectations"? Bullsh**. We've had some great and exciting teams over the years...and the fans appreciated and loved em. Even Alford gave us some great runs (The Big Ten tourney) which we celebrated.

What Fran has on the court now is a sh**show. This isn't a case of injuries undermining a team, or a cold streak, or losing a few close games in a tough schedule. He has badly misrecruited leading to an unbalanced roster which he apparently can't coach...at a time when his program should have an established identity and some momentum.

Next.

Last edited:
If you fire Fran now, you pay him $4M over the next two years to not coach. You also lose Connor and Patrick (top 50 prospect according to every major outlet) guaranteed, and you probably lose Wieskamp (top 50 prospect) to who knows where...quite possibly Iowa State.

So you're going into next season with nothing as far as recruits and who knows who else leaves your current program. Cook maybe transfers or just tests the pro waters, etc.

IMO it just makes zero sense whatsoever to fire Fran during or after this season. No matter who you brought in next year the program would be a wasteland. It makes a lot more sense to give Fran a year or two more to right the ship. After the 2019-20 season Fran's contract is up, Cook/Bohannon/Moss/Pemsl/Kriener/Dailey all are gone. Nunge/Garza would be seniors and Wieskamp would be a junior...which is at least a decent enough core for a new coach to start building a program with.

I think Joe committed to Iowa more so than he committed to Fran.

I have a couple gripes with this.

1. I hate how the narrative is changing that last season was somehow a success now. It was not. We had goals to make the NCAA tournament and we didn’t. We had a 1st team All B1G Player, the 6th man of the year, and a solid freshman class. We beat Omaha or Memphis in the non conference and we make the dance, unfortunately it takes Fran until January to figure out his best starting lineup and rotation.

2. These arguments appear to me like talking out of both sides of your mouth. People say he plays to many guys and does a terrible job managing the rotation. They say he’s done a terrible job with recruiting in recent years. Both things are true, and both things aren’t changing anytime soon. Before the year it was great how young we were and that we’d have a nice core going forward. Now it’s like crap, we have a poorly constructed roster and it doesn’t appear to be changing significantly enough to move the needle anytime soon. Fran has coached this way ever since he’s been here, and has shown no ability to change or adapt this year, what would lead me to believe he will next year?

At the end of the day it’s a tough situation and I do appreciate the successes that Fran has had. Unfortunately this thing doesn’t look like it’s on the verge of getting much better next year or the following year, and that being the case the time is now for some fresh blood. Fran knew the profession he chose and sometimes if you lose a team and you lose the fanbase, you don’t get the chance to fix it.

If you fire Fran now, you pay him $4M over the next two years to not coach. You also lose Connor and Patrick (top 50 prospect according to every major outlet) guaranteed, and you probably lose Wieskamp (top 50 prospect) to who knows where...quite possibly Iowa State.

So you're going into next season with nothing as far as recruits and who knows who else leaves your current program. Cook maybe transfers or just tests the pro waters, etc.

IMO it just makes zero sense whatsoever to fire Fran during or after this season. No matter who you brought in next year the program would be a wasteland. It makes a lot more sense to give Fran a year or two more to right the ship. After the 2019-20 season Fran's contract is up, Cook/Bohannon/Moss/Pemsl/Kriener/Dailey all are gone. Nunge/Garza would be seniors and Wieskamp would be a junior...which is at least a decent enough core for a new coach to start building a program with.
I don’t see any reason that we probably lose Weiskamp. He’s an Iowa kid who’s been committed to our school for years. I’d like our chances with a new coach being able to retain him.

Hate to somewhat agree with you on this but if we take the kids one by one.

JBo. No D1 teams wanted. Can shoot the lights out but I think losing has begun to affect his on court demeanor/play which disappoints me more than his lack of D or athleticism.

Moss had a few offers but no blue bloods. Performing considerably below expectations with lack of consistency.

Baer... Walk on. All walk ons that start or play a lot are performing beyond expectations. That said he's not perfect either.

Cook. By far the highest recruit he was a legit get. Hasn't been living up to it though.

Garza. Had lots of offers. Has potential as a true frosh halfway through his first year or so it's wait and see. Big guys are tough to guess on early on unless they are dominant. So far he hasn't been that.

Pemsl. Not highly sought after due to being injured a lot in HS I think he's maxed out his potential already which wasn't too high to start with

Nunge. He was a legit get. RS would probably have served him well (like Uthoff) Been asked to play out of position some too early to tag him one way or the other I think he's got better days ahead.

Dailey. Was a throw away get. Has been better than expected but then again there were no expectations of him.

Ellingson. Please....

Kreiner. Don't think he had any major offers... Has flashed but I think that's all he'll ever do is have 2 or 3 min stretches every 3 games or so depending on matchup. Has skills could prove me wrong but have to see it first.

Wagnor. Should be playing football. Tweener in hoops.

CM is probably a legit get... Maybe. Nobody else went after him because of the obvious so with all the bad breaks he's had it'll be awhile to know on him.

The rest are irrelevant. So that's 3 legit talents with 1 maybe. All sophs or younger (giving Garza benefit of some doubt) Spread over just two recruiting classes. That makes the previous 2/3 yrs of recruiting practically wasted.

You give a guy more chances if you see a reason to do so. I don’t get how you write that this team doesn’t play together and doesn’t try on defense but don’t see that as a reason to move on. It’s not like we have a great class coming in either. You’re basically looking at 3-4 years before this could potentially turn around.
This.

Agreed. I don't get the impression our coaches feel much pressure to win.
Your statement is a tough call.Hard to digest overall picture.Will put on PATIENCE cap for while.Want wins not there right now. Start with 50/50 Balls! Turn them into a clean fight. More CONFUSED than normal.But pray for surf yes.No team leader I think.

The last minute last night is why I'm ready to move on. I think it's perfectly fine to have down years (even if it does happen in a coach's 8th sesson). But this team quits like nothing I've ever seen from a D1 team. If this team wasn't full of quitters when the going gets tough, we would be having a down year and still be on the bubble. Instead we are the worst team in the conference by a wide margin.