Jon, what have you heard re: the shake-up of the FB staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 89, Herkuleez and pawkhawk tipped their hand anyway...it seems to be a weak attempt at cross site, off-season trolling.

Option B: Jon posts no information unless it is 100% confirmed and the site gets no inside information. Keep in mind TOS charge you to hear unsubstantiated rumors.

While I realize this may be difficult for some to understand, Miller is not in fact the Messiah. Try as he might, he is not able tow ill everything he hears to truth.

Jon has proven over 10+ years what he brings to the table and he is clearly pretty darn good at that he does. No one is perfect, especially in a business that relys on the decisions of 18-22 year old kids, pretty darn fluid with how things can change.

To question his integrity is pathetic.

Option B: Jon posts no information unless it is 100% confirmed and the site gets no inside information. Keep in mind TOS charge you to hear unsubstantiated rumors.

While I realize this may be difficult for some to understand, Miller is not in fact the Messiah. Try as he might, he is not able tow ill everything he hears to truth.

How cool would it be if he WAS the messiah though!?!?

Random stranger: Are you friends with Jesus?

HawkeyeShane: Of course! He runs my favorite Hawkeye website!

Jon has proven over 10+ years what he brings to the table and he is clearly pretty darn good at that he does. No one is perfect, especially in a business that relys on the decisions of 18-22 year old kids, pretty darn fluid with how things can change.

To question his integrity is pathetic.

+1.

Especially when it's questioned by a poster who's been around as a member of Jon's sites forever.

I just read the thread on HR where someone posted that I may be starting stuff, feeding it to Ken Miller, in order to get traffic here. Dude, you are reaching big time as are others

The Parker stuff was discussed on Matt and Miller...that's Ken Miller. Rob Howe was on that program, and that's where it was discussed. If people want to connect imaginary dots and suggest I am feeding stuff to Ken along these lines, that's fine...there are some folks that will just do stuff like that. In that same thread, folks clarified what was and was not said and by whom...and Kakert commented that he posted his thoughts on this a week ago, and people assumed it was true....where am I involved in any of this garbage, other than in people's Oliver Stonian imaginations?

But for you to go along with it and assert in my house that that is what I am doing, you have crossed a line. Enough of that crap.

Wasn't 89 the one who said you could take Wegher signing with ISU to the bank, too?

I have to remeber to use this in the right place somewhere in the future.

"You have Oliver Stones" Means you are making stuff up in a conspiratorial fashion and posting/saying it.

+1.

Especially when it's questioned by a poster who's been around as a member of Jon's sites forever.

Exactly. To questions Jon's integrity automatically makes you an idiot, 89. And you know better.

I've been following Jon for about 8 years and he's never done amything shifty.

You just revealed your understanding of the game of football.

Must not have played before or at least not on a team that had a good system and coach.

SYSTEM???

You mean there are system's in football but nobody believes in the System for basketball???

How hard can his job be, though, really? "Hey you! Run down there really fast. Then, turn around and catch the football with your hands." ;)

I completely forgot even posting in this thread. Thanks for those of you who had my back. Yes, for the record, I was just kidding. Everyone knows the receiver coach also tells his players to push off when the ball is thrown way, way down the pasture.;);)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKSo7QO7ceo"]YouTube- Andy Griffith - Football[/ame]

Another phenomenon that I am noticing is people are reading chirpings on message boards, by posters, then running to other message boards and saying they heard 'reported' on another site that something is going down.

Message board posts by anonymous screen names is not the same thing as an admin or publisher reporting things. I would assume people would understand that, but that is probably naive, too. I am easy to reach. If you hear something you think was attributed to me and you have concerns about it, email me or post a question on the boards.

Jon, as a guy who walked away from a career as a newspaper reporter just six months ago, I feel your pain here. IMHO, journalism is either dead or on life support because of the following factors:

1. Our nation's reading ability is at an all-time low.
2. Many news consumers no longer demand in depth - they prefer the cliff notes. Many also do not seem to see the importance of local outlets, thinking they have all they need from the national and regional outlets.
3. Many news consumers no longer demand strong journalistic ethics, impartial reporting (see MSNBC and FOX News) or practices. Multiple source reporting no longer seems important to them.
4. Most news consumers no longer understand what a credible source really is.

I enjoy your work Jon, and really appreciate you not publishing rumors to stoke the fires in here. Keep up the good work.

I am not sure what you are talking about, in context to this thread. Here is what I wrote: http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/...you-heard-re-shake-up-fb-staff.html#post40526

In some instances, other 'credible' websites are posting rumors in premium areas, then coming back later and debunking or verifying them...that is an interesting process, is it not?

I am never going to intentionally post anything in an effort to just get traffic. I care about being accurate and fair more than anything else. I have been doing this for 11 years, and the brand name is established and I am not in any sort of need to post crap just to get attention. This site had nearly 100,000 individual visitors the first 30 days it was online back in late October to late November. There is no concern there.

Now, is everything I say or write going to be 100% accurate? No. I share things that I hear at times, most of the time I run that through the filter.

I know some people got sideways over some comments at the end of the Orange Bowl pregame radio broadcast, related to Wegher and ARob. I speculated that the huge movement in the Vegas line, with late money going on Tech, could have something to do with ARob's shoulder...which indeed he had hurt during bowl prep, which indeed he was wearing a sling, and indeed he had treatment on that shoulder days before the game. Then someone I know and trust texted me just before I got off the air, that something might be up with Wegher. I didn't come on the air and say matter of factly that Wegher and Robinson would miss the game, I said that there were people starting to chirp about that.

However, that was not on this site. And in hindsight, I probably wouldn't do that again (the Wegher piece off the text I received..I have no problems with what I said on the radio regarding ARob)

Another item that people are having some fun with was the Jake Kelly situation a few days back. I stand by what I reported early that Monday morning, as I know where I got it from; someone that spoke first hand with Kelly, and whom Kelly shared his thoughts with..and not just once. Jake chose to deny any consideration of it...that's fine, he can do what he wants. But I know that he was considering coming to Iowa, and the Indiana State coaching staff was also aware of that, and they were very concerned he was going to leave. Remember, Jake also told the Iowa media last March that there was nothing to the rumors or his wanting to leave the Hawkeye program. I'd report what I did 10 times out of 10, even in this hindsight. If people want to put their heads in the sand over that one and act naive and just lob bombs that I was posting rumor and crap, that's fine and they can do what they want. As an aside, every major paper and most of the TV stations in Des Moines reached out to Kelly on this...why? Not just because I reported it...because they did their own due diligence and felt there was enough there to go further. Rick Brown of the Register posted on their website that he had spoken with people in the athletic departments at both Iowa and Indiana State and they had confirmed that Kelly was considering it. I am sure Rick was just lobbing BS out of his tail pipe, too

This site, with regards to content, is primarily going to be the expression of opinions. When there is news to break, we'll do that too...but that is not my primary concern or goal with this website. It's to make it a place where fans feel like they have a voice, as they will have their voices heard and shared...more on that in the coming months.

If you have any specific examples, I'd be happy to discuss those with you. My email is always plastered all over everything I do. But your post in the middle of this thread is odd and out of context and place. I noticed you posted in an HI thread on the Coaching Change stuff that Rob talked with Ken and Matt about on KXNO....that didn't start here. This is an out of left field post... I see a lot of rumors being discussed on the Iowa sites right now related to Coker...not here, and not from me...surprisingly enough, you are involved in that thread, too, on HI

Jon, no offense but you probably just name the two biggest stories/rumors in Iowa sports in the last couple months…both of which you had bad info on…Add on to the fact you were reporting Iowa to the fiesta bowl as pretty much fact, I could see why people would question what/why your reporting things…you have a good track record…but you know this is a what have you done (reported) for me lately business.

Jon, no offense but you probably just name the two biggest stories/rumors in Iowa sports in the last couple months…both of which you had bad info on…Add on to the fact you were reporting Iowa to the fiesta bowl as pretty much fact, I could see why people would question what/why your reporting things…you have a good track record…but you know this is a what have you done (reported) for me lately business.

Yeah...thanks for coming...noone's falling for the bs...run back to your other site.

Like I said earlier, I'd report the exact same things on Kelly, the exact same way, today as I did days ago. Jake chose to say he was not considering it and that it was a rumor. That's not what he told the Indiana State coaching staff, and my source on this is about as solid as it gets. The morning I posted what I did, the Indiana State coaching staff was not certain what direction Jake was going to go...and numerous Iowa outlets would corroborate what I posted later that very day.

I have already said that I would have handled the Wegher aspect of the pre Orange Bowl show differently could I do that over, but not the ARob part of it.

As for the Fiesta Bowl, I have no problems with what I posted because I know who I was talking with, and while those people were not quite as surprised by the Fiesta's change of heart as they were with being selected to the 2003 Orange Bowl when they had already booked 3000 people to the Rose and people already had room numbers issued to them, this caught nearly everyone associated with the University by surprise.

I think this thread has reached it's conclusion. It took some odd turns midway through, and 89 and I have exchanged PM's and have moved on. I am not certain what purpose can be served by keeping it open, as I have spoken my piece on the matter, there have been other opinions to the contrary, and we'll probably just go around in circles. As for the original topic, I replied to that end pretty much saying I doubt there is any shake up. My post to that end is on page two of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts