Joint Statement from Barta and Pollard

I think it's great that Gary Barta let Pollard write the press release and ignore Saturday's events. I'm sure he had his reasons... (the reasons are that he's the worst Power Five AD in the country and it's not close).

If I were the band director, I'd tell Barta that we're not going back there in two years and if he doesn't like it he can go spit. Just because Gary is a doddering idiot doesn't mean that he has to risk the safety of the students under his charge. The band is not part of the Athletic Department.

My question would be, why is this between the school's ADs' and not the university presidents? You've got an incompetent dolt and a used car salesman negotiating the safety of students. Does not sound right.

BINGO. This should not be between the ADs. If there was an assault on a University of Iowa employee or student(s), President Bruce Harreld should be directing the UofI campus police department to investigate and demanding that his counterpart over in LAmes assist in identifying the assailants.

Barta is a lily-livered coward. We know that. The fact that Pollard got him to agree to a joint statement basically covering up the facts proves just how bereft of a spine he has.

But we know what's going on here. Both ADs are working hard to protect their annual pot of gold known as the Cy-Hawk rivalry game. They do not want boosters, the presidents, legislators or the Regents threatening the millions of dollars and national attention the game generates by telling them it's time for a hiatus.

If I had a child in the marching band I would have been on the phone immediately after this was released to tell Barta what an ass he was, failing to protect students who contribute artistically to his program. The next would be to Harreld demanding that he do something about the incident ... and about Barta.

Sucks it happened but who really cares?

Unless they can tie it back to the individuals responsible, I'm not going to throw an entire fan base under the bus. The Universities should work to create new procedures to better monitor in the future to hopefully prevent further issues.
All the fucking cell phones likely taking video of what happened and authorities can't figure out what happened or identify the perps? Not buying it.

Just my thoughts but why do we need the visiting teams band to go to certain away games. I'm not saying that they don't have a right to be there, but the argument remains that athletes/participants do not belong in the stands and fans do not belong on the field/playing surface. This is put in place for the protection of both the athletes and those attending the event. If the concern is how to protect these individuals, which I firmly believe these activities have no place in sports and should never happen than how can we justify putting a band (participant representing an opponent) in amongst the fans that quite often are intoxicated and have it out for the opposition. To me it just doesn't make sense.

In response to the statement I'd bet it went something like this...

Pollard "let's write something up"
Barta "Great idea you put it on paper and I'll definitely sign it"
Pollard "You sure?"
Barta "I sign everything that comes my way...might even read some of it".

Unless they can tie it back to the individuals responsible, I'm not going to throw an entire fan base under the bus. The Universities should work to create new procedures to better monitor in the future to hopefully prevent further issues.
You clearly haven’t attended one of these inbred events over there in a while. The overall wearing, mouth breathing, busch light drinking, hoggeye hating agenda is alarmingly high

BINGO. This should not be between the ADs. If there was an assault on a University of Iowa employee or student(s), President Bruce Harreld should be directing the UofI campus police department to investigate and demanding that his counterpart over in LAmes assist in identifying the assailants.

Barta is a lily-livered coward. We know that. The fact that Pollard got him to agree to a joint statement basically covering up the facts proves just how bereft of a spine he has.

But we know what's going on here. Both ADs are working hard to protect their annual pot of gold known as the Cy-Hawk rivalry game. They do not want boosters, the presidents, legislators or the Regents threatening the millions of dollars and national attention the game generates by telling them it's time for a hiatus.

If I had a child in the marching band I would have been on the phone immediately after this was released to tell Barta what an ass he was, failing to protect students who contribute artistically to his program. The next would be to Harreld demanding that he do something about the incident ... and about Barta.
Barta/pollard shouldn’t even have a say in it. This is where university presidents step in and either arrest the guilty parties annually every single year for every single act and assault with zero tolerance or end the series. It’s that simple

Barta/pollard shouldn’t even have a say in it. This is where university presidents step in and either arrest the guilty parties annually every single year for every single act and assault with zero tolerance or end the series. It’s that simple
Yup.

A few interesting things:

1. People saying this isn’t being talked about, remember 18-22 year olds don’t use Facebook or Twitter.

2. Interesting how Bata and Pollard quickly pivoted away, or forgot to include the sexual harassment and assault accusations.

3. If I was a parent or in the band I would be pissed, and from everything I am seeing band members (at least some of them), are ready to go nuclear.

4. The athletics department passive aggressively threatened all the band members to not post on social media. Some are starting to break and I think this is the kind of shit that causes more problems than just the cover up.

5. Band leadership is pisssssssssssed

I think Barta played this wrong on many levels. The band shouldn’t have found out they were closing the investigation through the media. Barta should have worked or setup steps to keep the band safe in the future and after a couple weeks say without video evidence there isn’t much they can do but will protect the band going forward.

Young students are unpredictable, but a nice walk off the field before the national anthem with a “Barta doesn’t care about sexual assault” sign seems like it might catch the attention of the athletics department.

I think for instance if this stuff was happening in the stands like it appears to be then let's say the back row of the band could say what seats some of the perps were in and if those are season ticket holder seats then go after the season ticket holders. If they were there then boom down on them. Just use a little detective logic.

The UI admin and higher ups better not be whitewashing this and letting down the band if there are serious things that happened. And if bad stuff did happen that info and what was done about it should be known so we know there isnt a whitewash. It is a public university and we all pay tax dollars that go to that school or schools.

You clearly haven’t attended one of these inbred events over there in a while. The overall wearing, mouth breathing, busch light drinking, hoggeye hating agenda is alarmingly high

Time to end this annual hate-fest. Iowa should replace ISU with any Power 5 conference team willing to play a "home and home" game. ISU is a crap program. Always has been and always will be. I have a feeling Matt C. will be sorry he did not strike while the iron was hot last year as far as moving on to a better job. The Big 12 has been a little down for a couple years now and will not stay down. Texas, Kansas, K-St., Baylor and Texas Tech have been very average and ISU, to their credit has taken advantage. ISU will take no one by surprise this year and will struggle to match their record of last year. I have talked to numerous people who attended the game this year and said they would not go back. Time to stop going to the flood prone little shit hole and play somewhere decent. Those from "out of state" might think this game is an "Iowa Treasure" but those of us living in the "war zone" know that it only breeds more hatred.

Latest posts