Johnson County sheriff not thrilled with new tailgating rules

To me it seems he is more concerned with the cost the Sheriff's office will take on even though it's tax payer money ie transporting out of county and backl

What does this matter? "Sorry we're bringing in too many lawbreakers, Lonny."

I don't think he has a problem with the law being enforced. Probably more so with the fact that this wasn't discussed between the University and the sheriff's office. Now they need to try and find a way to handle the possible increase in gameday occupancy. They would have had to do that anyway, but they could have worked it out before the policy was announced, which probably would have made things easier for them to handle.

I think that he's ****** because 1) they did not consult him 2) they are going to be making a huge headache for him and his deputies over something that he does not consider to be of great importance. And no I'm not talking about drunk driving, I'm talking about filling the jail with tailgaters that we're arrested for public intox, open container, public urination, etc, etc. just because the U of I wants to change their image. I think he knows what most of us know and that is that there really isn't a problem that needs to be fixed. I have always been amazed at how so many people can come together party, drink and go to the game and get crazy and by and large its all pretty peaceable then everybody goes home and life returns to normal.

I honestly think if you aren't making a fool of yourself they will still look the other way as far as the public intox and open container goes, now the public urination they might not.

Except for binge drinkers (and people to hammered to drive from drinking which happens unfortunately everywhere in the US and in the world) there was no justifiable reason for many of these new rules to be put into place. The scope of these new rules (such as forcing tailgaters to disperse after 2 hours of the game and guilty until proven innocent checkpoints) are just "shameless ways" to raise revenue for Iowa City. Nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited:
I honestly think if you aren't making a fool of yourself they will still look the other way as far as the public intox and open container goes, now the public urination they might not.

What do you expect people to do, **** themselves? The have one bathroom for about every 1000 tailgaters.

I would agree with that. In general, as long as you don't give the cops a reason to hassle you....they won't.

Pulkrabek has a great point here. It's already bad enough.

Two years ago I had a colleague in town from England and took him to his first Iowa game. After the game we were tailgating with about 10 people well ahead of any "deadline" for removing ourselves from the stadium area. We were not loud, standing around and talking and a group of "officers" rode up and one in particular got off his bicycle and told us to stop drinking and dump our beer. My colleague drank his and put the empty in his cargo shorts so as not to litter which is illegal in most places. The University Heights police officer (I have his name but will not repeat it) said to him " are you testing my resolve?". WTF? I could see if we were a bunch of drunks hassling someone. My respect for the University Heights police are now gone. The rest of the officers who were mixed of ICPD, etc just looked on like, come on Barney we have other people who need our help more. There needs to be some accountability of the actions of the police here as well. They represent our community and the U of I. Can't imagine if that was a parent of a great recruit here to take in the atmosphere and some barney who was on a power trip mucked it up for all of us.

Pulkrabek has a great point here. It's already bad enough.

Two years ago I had a colleague in town from England and took him to his first Iowa game. After the game we were tailgating with about 10 people well ahead of any "deadline" for removing ourselves from the stadium area. We were not loud, standing around and talking and a group of "officers" rode up and one in particular got off his bicycle and told us to stop drinking and dump our beer. My colleague drank his and put the empty in his cargo shorts so as not to litter which is illegal in most places. The University Heights police officer (I have his name but will not repeat it) said to him " are you testing my resolve?". WTF? I could see if we were a bunch of drunks hassling someone. My respect for the University Heights police are now gone. The rest of the officers who were mixed of ICPD, etc just looked on like, come on Barney we have other people who need our help more. There needs to be some accountability of the actions of the police here as well. They represent our community and the U of I. Can't imagine if that was a parent of a great recruit here to take in the atmosphere and some barney who was on a power trip mucked it up for all of us.

Sooner or later Barney will do just that.

I think that he's ****** because 1) they did not consult him 2) they are going to be making a huge headache for him and his deputies over something that he does not consider to be of great importance. And no I'm not talking about drunk driving, I'm talking about filling the jail with tailgaters that we're arrested for public intox, open container, public urination, etc, etc. just because the U of I wants to change their image. I think he knows what most of us know and that is that there really isn't a problem that needs to be fixed. I have always been amazed at how so many people can come together party, drink and go to the game and get crazy and by and large its all pretty peaceable then everybody goes home and life returns to normal.

The University may well have antagonized the law enforcement community in pushing this agenda on them. This can't possibly work without all the parties involved on the same page. It doesn't seem hard to predict that some of this will backfire and they will have to walk some of these changes back, like the clarification to the after-game tailgating.

It really is amazing how much the university fouled their plan up on putting more restrictions on tailgating. Before when they took things away little by little. A small percentage was upset but most just dealt with it out giving it much thought. Maybe 5% upset and vocal, 20% upset but not enought to worry about it, 50% didn't care either way,15% fealt the rules were just right. While 10% fealt they should have gone farther.

But this year those percentages I think have raised to 25% upset and vocal,25% upset and silent,25% didn't care either way,15% the rules were just right, and the 10% that want it to go farther.

Along with this you got the sheriff upset because he wasn't included in this conversation. A policy that will probably effect his department the most of all involved. His concern is space but with him saying the university is nearsighted leads me to believe he disagrees with the new rules. If I was him I think I would be upset too. The university was kind of arrogant in this. They basically said we are going to push old rules harder and create new ones. This will effect you but we are not going to ask your input on this. Now deal with it.

With at least one portion of the law enforcement community stating their displeasure this can not be good in the universities efforts to change something that probably did not need changing.

Has anyone even thought of the economic effect that the lack of aluminum cans littered around to the stadium by traditional tailgating will have on the homeless, unemployed, and those students that collect them to pay their U-bill? It's gotta be a pretty good chunk of change on game days. I always try to put my cans in piles with everyone elses so they don't have to paw through the garbage.

Has anyone even thought of the economic effect that the lack of aluminum cans littered around to the stadium by traditional tailgating will have on the homeless, unemployed, and those students that collect them to pay their U-bill? It's gotta be a pretty good chunk of change on game days. I always try to put my cans in piles with everyone elses so they don't have to paw through the garbage.

That makes me think of this homeless guy I always see picking up cans. He is **** faced by the time the game starts. Because of all the beers people have given him. Along with that he has a backpack full of beers for later.

Latest posts