John Wilkins?

ColumbusHawk

I have been doing a little research about John Wilkins. There is very little information anywhere concerning the young man. Following is the best information I could find and it is almost two years old.

Flash sums up his summer - Locker Room Prep Talk

Can anybody supply any information?

Why didn't he play for Burlington this year?

Last edited:
Does anyone know more about this kid? Is his verbal to ISU solid or does Iowa have a better than long shot at "changing his mind"?

He has not played ball in 2 years

Has to sit out the first 5 games next year

Suppose to be a real nice talent but who knows

Does anyone know more about this kid? Is his verbal to ISU solid or does Iowa have a better than long shot at "changing his mind"?

John Wilkins is not committed to Iowa St. There were reports a few weeks ago that he had committed but his dad came out and said that John is not committed anywhere. He has recently visited Indiana and Illinois St. but does not have an offer from Indiana. He was committed to Bradley for over a year and reopened his recruitment in the past few months.

Wilkins is thought to be considering Bradley, Indiana, and Illinois St. Recent speculation says that Iowa St is not thought to be in the picture anymore, but there is no confirmation of this information.

He seems to be a very high risk recruit because he has never played organized ball of any sort in the US (outside a few AAU games). Anyone who has claimed to see him play has only watched him in practice...and even I play well in practice. I hope Iowa looks elsewhere to fill out their roster.

I hope Iowa looks elsewhere to fill out their roster.

Do you hope this because you want him to go to Bradley? I notice your screen name is "onceabrave". I'm assuming you are a Bradely fan, no?

Anyway, I personally would prefer to land Mel Basabe and Will Clyburn of M-Town CC, and hopefully get ol' Benny Brust to come back.

Do you hope this because you want him to go to Bradley? I notice your screen name is "onceabrave". I'm assuming you are a Bradely fan, no?

Anyway, I personally would prefer to land Mel Basabe and Will Clyburn of M-Town CC, and hopefully get ol' Benny Brust to come back.
He would be a great pickup, good FT shooter, can score and has good shooting%.
I think he wants him to go to bradley, it was his first post.

He would be a great pickup, good FT shooter, can score and has good shooting%.
I think he wants him to go to bradley, it was his first post.

I had heard that Clyburn wants to redshirt which is why ISU backed off. Sounds very strange. He does need to add some weight to play B10/B12.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Ryan Bowen worked out with Wilkins and said he potentially has NBA type talent. I'd take that!!

My buddy is a D1 assistant and said the guy has skills. He said he's long and can shoot w/ great handles for a guy his size. Thinks he would fit well w/ Frans style.

So many of the opinions here are off base.

Coach Carroll, who has coached numerous Division 1 players at SCC, Indian Hills and Denver has said Wilkins has the most potential of ANY player he has ever coached. Carroll is certain SCC would have won it all this year if Wilkins was eligible.

By all accounts, he is a good student and has no other issues other than the eligibility due to the pro league. He has at least 3 years of eligibility left.

He is a legit 6-8 and about 215 and has good ball handling skills for a kid his size. Likes to face the basket. Is he raw, yes, but not Doug Thomas raw. This kid is light year ahead in terms of basketball skills.

He is wide open as to where he will go I'm told which is why Fran stil has a legit chance with this kid so late in the game. The only reason he doesn't have more major offers is the fact that he grew up in Belgium and he was not able to play last season.

Wilkins would ease the loss of Larson tremendously in my opinion and Larson was the most talented incoming recruit in my opinion.

Reeon, you are right, I am a Bradley guy who happens to be an Iowa grad, so I have dual loyalties. I would be ok if JW ended up at Bradley, but am just not that excited about him because there is zero evidence that he will be an impact player. I'm even less optimistic about his prospects against Big 10 talent.

Yet despite being unproven, with his father's apparent need for control, if he isn't given immediate playing time I bet he transfers, which means either school could end up wasting their time and a year of a scholly on a 1-year malcontent. My guess is he ends up at Indiana. I will wear ISU red for a week if he ends up in Ames because every single thing I am hearing says ISU is either low on his list or out of the picture.

As an Iowa fan, I would much rather land Basabe and Brust, and to a lesser degree, Clyburn...I'm in agreement with you Reeon.

Reeon, you are right, I am a Bradley guy who happens to be an Iowa grad, so I have dual loyalties. I would be ok if JW ended up at Bradley, but am just not that excited about him because there is zero evidence that he will be an impact player. I'm even less optimistic about his prospects against Big 10 talent.

Yet despite being unproven, with his father's apparent need for control, if he isn't given immediate playing time I bet he transfers, which means either school could end up wasting their time and a year of a scholly on a 1-year malcontent. My guess is he ends up at Indiana. I will wear ISU red for a week if he ends up in Ames because every single thing I am hearing says ISU is either low on his list or out of the picture.

As an Iowa fan, I would much rather land Basabe and Brust, and to a lesser degree, Clyburn...I'm in agreement with you Reeon.

If he's a guaranteed transfer I have to assume that ISU will land him for at least a year. :)

Quick update on Wilkins:

It sounds like Bradley is now out of the mix and Iowa is now in the mix. Illinois State missed the boat badly when Wilkins didn't commit during his visit 2 weeks ago, but his dad was a star there in the 1970's so they are by no means out of the picture. As of now I expect him to choose between Indiana, Illinois St and Iowa.

Ryan Bowen is favored for the #3 Iowa coaching spot and he has worked out with Wilkins so I am guessing if Ryan if hired Wilkins will be a hawkeye

Bowen and Speraw? Two Iowa guys plus a GA? Lets see how this develops before jumping to any conclusions,but I think Speraw and a GA from Iowa is sufficient. Bowen, who i really respect,has never coached.

Latest posts