John Beilein's Available

Sounds like (from reading articles on this development) he could not relate to the modern NBA player. That is a shame the players would not listen to him during practice sessions. Signs of our times working with kids...make that entitled rich kids/young adults.

The guy is in his late 70s I wouldn't be surprised if he is done, he got his money in Cleveland why put up with this crap at that age, but that's just me

At 67 I don't know what would tempt you to come back to the grind that is college coaching. Should have enough jack in the bank to find a beach front home with a golf course and finally enjoy life.

Then again, guys that coach at the college level probably aren't much for taking it easy.
It all depends on how he's wired. Guys like Jim Calhoun and Rollie Massimino came back because they couldn't live without it. Tarkanian was like that too. Jim Boeheim may be like that. Others, like John Thompson and Denny Crum, got out fairly young and never looked back. Al McGuire retired from coaching at fifty, about the same age that many coaches today are just hitting the big time.

I like the guy, big ol mistake leaving Mich. Maybe he will go to MN when little Dick gets poopcanned??

There is a growing buzz that Jay Wright may be following Billy Donovan's footsteps and looking for an NBA opening soon. Beilein to Villanova might be a nice fit.

Can't help but like the guy! I'm thinking he was looking at the end of the road ahead and wanted to give the NBA a shot just for fun before he walked away. Be surprised if he coaches again. Been wrong before.

Meh. He walked away from his contract and still go around 4 million this year. He will be just fine

I never said he wasn't going to be fine and if it's all about the money (which I doubt it is) then he got what he wanted.

*edit - turns out it's not about the money as he left $12 million on the table by walking away.

Last edited:

NBA players being asked to work on fundamentals? How outrageous, no wonder they're so unhappy and suck so much. It's certainly not because they're just not very talented there in Cleveland.

I never said he wasn't going to be fine and if it's all about the money (which I doubt it is) then he got what he wanted.

*edit - turns out it's not about the money as he left $12 million on the table by walking away.

He's 67 years old. Probably wanted to try something new before hanging it up. I gotta imagine recruiting is exhausting.

Doesn't seem like he will come back to the Big 10. Unless I am missing something, I do not see any coach on the hot seat. The Mayor of Lames is still in his grace period, NW is still gaga over just making the tournament once, and everyone else is at least in the hunt for a tourney bid. Unless someone is bought by a Blue Blood, I see all 14 coaches in the conference returning.

The best candidates for firing would be:

Chris Holtmann- 2 years, 2 fast starts followed by mid-season struggles.
Archie Miller- 2 years, 2 lackluster seasons (Bob Knight return showed just what a huge shadow he still casts on that program).
Little Richie Pitino- Living on his fathers coat-tails while underwhelming on his own.

To be clear, none will be fired but the first two seasons of Holtmann and Miller have to leave their fans at least a little concerned. Little Richie is just a matter of when he bails. Minnesota has to be tired of hiring and firing football and basketball coaches so I doubt they fire him now.

I saw earlier today in interview with Sexton that he said Beilein was all about details. Details this details that. He said Beilein expected 100% effort all the time. Sexton said come on this is an 82 game season. Sexton is their leading scorer and a second year player. I'm sure Michael Jordan thought the same thing about those 82 games. Sounds like trying to coach an AAU team that is being paid well.

No coach is going to make that place good. NBA is a coast until playoffs league. I enjoy the playoffs, but the regular season with guys resting is a joke to me.

I hope you're joking with the Michael Jordan comment. The guy is legendary with his effort. He didn't take any nights off and played hard every second on the floor. Listen to interviews with his teammates; he worked harder than any of them in practice. That internal drive is what defined his greatness - he was NEVER outworked.

Latest posts