John Beilein's Available

We do, as an assistant specializing in defense! :)

I like the way you are thinking, but, Beilein realized when at Michigan (like a few years before he resigned) his teams weren't playing very good defense at tall. They could score but giving up too much. At that time, he was primarily coaching the defense. He went out and hired a specialized defensive coach (kind of like a D coordinator for b-ball) and completely took himself out of the defensive instruction and let that new coach completely take care of that side of the game. He completely stepped away and let that coach do his thang. Beilein just concentrated on the offense. They had a fast turnaround after that and several successful seasons after that.

I remember watching a special segment on how this all happened.

Doesn't seem like he will come back to the Big 10. Unless I am missing something, I do not see any coach on the hot seat. The Mayor of Lames is still in his grace period, NW is still gaga over just making the tournament once, and everyone else is at least in the hunt for a tourney bid. Unless someone is bought by a Blue Blood, I see all 14 coaches in the conference returning.

Coule Pitino be on the hot seat?

Was LaVell Jordan that defensive coach he had at Michigan?

Wonder what this means for Tyler Cook?

I'm a bit surprised by this move as the Cavs were starting to beat some teams they weren't expected to and were more competitive. But in the article it says he was miserable and the players were miserable. Still they had just traded for Andre Drumond and were moving Tristan Thompson to his more natural power forward position, where Kevin Love happens to be. But Thompson is a free agent they weren't able to trade and would like to re-sign, maybe this is at the core of it.

He was destined to fail in Cleveland. I mean that wasn't tough to see coming. I'm surprised he wasn't self aware enough to know that was going to be a biotch of a job. But that works two ways. Clevelands owner is a douche too and he thought a 70 plus yr old long time college coach could step in and turn it around... He was just trying to save $ and wasn't paying him top dollar. It's a shit show all the way around there.
I don't see a top D1 program throwing their keys to Beilien. He could have stayed at Michigan 4 more yrs easy if he hadn't left or so but I don't think someone else will wanting to start over with him now. Maybe I'm wrong and hard telling what other gigs will open up but he wouldn't be at the top of my list most likely

Partly to catch hell and drive several of you nuts. I know the family. I would see some possibilty with Syracuse as a transition. Or maybe a transitional AD.

His hero was Lt Tom Niland in WW 2 of Saving Private Ryan family. Tom also is the guy who took down Switzer and also SMU.

Maybe a MSU type program wanting to bring in ethics.

I saw earlier today in interview with Sexton that he said Beilein was all about details. Details this details that. He said Beilein expected 100% effort all the time. Sexton said come on this is an 82 game season. Sexton is their leading scorer and a second year player. I'm sure Michael Jordan thought the same thing about those 82 games. Sounds like trying to coach an AAU team that is being paid well.

No coach is going to make that place good. NBA is a coast until playoffs league. I enjoy the playoffs, but the regular season with guys resting is a joke to me.

beilein will be successful coaching college hoops if he's anywhere near ample breeding ground for legit recruits. maybe not B1G, though, i could see what's his name at IU on the hot seat soon. put beilein out in the PAC 12 and he could build something. imagine a B1G type team in the PAC 12 where defense rarely exists.

I saw earlier today in interview with Sexton that he said Beilein was all about details. Details this details that. He said Beilein expected 100% effort all the time. Sexton said come on this is an 82 game season. Sexton is their leading scorer and a second year player. I'm sure Michael Jordan thought the same thing about those 82 games. Sounds like trying to coach an AAU team that is being paid well.

No coach is going to make that place good. NBA is a coast until playoffs league. I enjoy the playoffs, but the regular season with guys resting is a joke to me.

yeah, i could see that. that would be the deep breeding ground for recruits i mentioned.

At 67 I don't know what would tempt you to come back to the grind that is college coaching. Should have enough jack in the bank to find a beach front home with a golf course and finally enjoy life.

Then again, guys that coach at the college level probably aren't much for taking it easy.

He was destined to fail in Cleveland. I mean that wasn't tough to see coming. I'm surprised he wasn't self aware enough to know that was going to be a biotch of a job. But that works two ways. Clevelands owner is a douche too and he thought a 70 plus yr old long time college coach could step in and turn it around... He was just trying to save $ and wasn't paying him top dollar. It's a shit show all the way around there.
I don't see a top D1 program throwing their keys to Beilien. He could have stayed at Michigan 4 more yrs easy if he hadn't left or so but I don't think someone else will wanting to start over with him now. Maybe I'm wrong and hard telling what other gigs will open up but he wouldn't be at the top of my list most likely

He'll end up on the BIG 10 network.

Latest posts