Joe T

Hawkfnntn

So now that he's coming off the bench and not only that but not even playing a whole lot we all assume he'll hop in the portal to go back closer to home next yr right? With the Bowen kid coming in who seems to have quite an all around game I suspect he'll play a boat load starting day 1 like Gessel and Horner did and it'll be his show. It'll be quite different next yr but that's college hoops for ya. No 2 yrs are the same anymore.

Unless Jbo gets a 9th year of eligibility, I think the PG spot is JT's to lose next year. I would be more worried about Uhlis than a freshmen. I hope Bowen is that good that he takes the job from a guy who started parts of two years and is a senior.

Fran will lay out what JT needs to do. I think he has as good a chance to start at Iowa as any east coast school he transfer to. He has largely been stuck behind the best statistical PG in Iowa history, but since JT has been on campus, when JBO was not starting at the PG, JT was. JBO is going to be selling sneakers at the mall next season, so.....

But, I could see why he might leave.

JoeT has a really good relationship with the McCaffrey family so I would hold off on automatically putting him in the transfer portal.

Counter argument: This time last year you would have said the same thing about CJF.

Personally, I think he stays, but I am not betting the mortgage on it.

I think it's a good possibility and it wouldn't surprise me if Uhlis did too.

Why do you think Uhlis would leave? Fran looked at him sideways a couple times so he is going to bolt? Jbo isn't coming back for a 7th year.

Why do you think Uhlis would leave? Fran looked at him sideways a couple times so he is going to bolt? Jbo isn't coming back for a 7th year.

Not saying he will, just saying it wouldn't surprise me. Just doesn't seem like he's developed much.

I can see where you're coming from. But I also don't see a clear path to more playing time elsewhere unless it's to a mid-major or some sort of a lesser program. And like NorthKC said, he has a pretty clear path to playing time next year if he stays. It has got to be tough to see your playing time reduced but if you look at it objectively, the results with JB at the point have been pretty good so far.

It doesn't take a lot to have a freshman come in and do better than Joe T or Ulis has. But it also doesn't take much for them to improve on what they've done this year. Especially Ulis who will have a whole new role.

I would not be surprised to see attrition at the guard spot. But, man oh man, along with Ash's scholly( :rolleyes: eyeroll...man a charity scholly this year) and if JT and Ulis hit the road.......he could hit that portal for some serious upgrading along with the 4 star guy he is bringing in.

I hope JT stays a Hawk. If he does transfer, he would likely take a step back to a weaker conference. Now, if his only concern is to get guaranteed playing time, then maybe a step down would make sense. I still think he can carve out a role. Fran will tell him exactly what he needs to do to get more minutes. He is a tough kid and would give us 100%. He is a good defensive player, very few turnovers, unselfish, decent passer. His shooting? He needs to shoot hundred and hundreds of shots in the off season.
And Ulis would be foolish to leave. Placing our bets on a freshman PG to excel in the BT is a fool’s errand.

It's really gotta suck losing your starting spot to a 27 year old guy with artificial hips that isn't even a point guard, and then watch him put on a clinic.

Seriously though I think Joe T is a fighter and will be surprised if he leaves. He always seems to take setbacks like a man and is very supportive from the bench. Always comes in ready and gives all he has. Hope he stays, same with Ullis. They will only get better.

When I grew up the saying was "when the going gets tough, the tough get going". Now it seems to be "when the going gets tough, I guess I will be going (elsewhere)" Not a great character trait to have if you want to be successful when you get out in the real world.

I would not be surprised to see attrition at the guard spot. But, man oh man, along with Ash's scholly( :rolleyes: eyeroll...man a charity scholly this year) and if JT and Ulis hit the road.......he could hit that portal for some serious upgrading along with the 4 star guy he is bringing in.
In what world is Ash's scholarship a big deal? What, you think we could have used it to get some stud? Everybody is always saying that McCaffrey needs to late down the number of players he uses. Why not give an unused schollie to someone who has put in their time?

It's really gotta suck losing your starting spot to a 27 year old guy with artificial hips that isn't even a point guard, and then watch him put on a clinic.

Seriously though I think Joe T is a fighter and will be surprised if he leaves. He always seems to take setbacks like a man and is very supportive from the bench. Always comes in ready and gives all he has. Hope he stays, same with Ullis. They will only get better.

When I grew up the saying was "when the going gets tough, the tough get going". Now it seems to be "when the going gets tough, I guess I will be going (elsewhere)" Not a great character trait to have if you want to be successful when you get out in the real world.
I want to be there when you walk up to Jbo at the bar and tell him he's not a point guard. I hope you have a strong jaw.

I don't know, but just maybe the player that started for three years and holds the Hawkeye assist record should be considered a point guard. But that's just me.

I want to be there when you walk up to Jbo at the bar and tell him he's not a point guard. I hope you have a strong jaw.

I don't know, but just maybe the player that started for three years and holds the Hawkeye assist record should be considered a point guard. But that's just me.
This made me chuckle. I agree that JBO is a point guard and statistically the best PG in school history if measured by things like assists, outside shooting, and turnovers.

But, the only evidence we have seen of JBO's fighting skills in a bar are being knocked out cold. And, the notion that if you walked up to him and merely said, "sir, I do not construe you as a legitimate point guard" that he would instantly swing on you, seems a bit dumb.

When Pitino got the Iona job in the back of my mind I thought if JoeT left that would be a good landing spot.

Once again I don't believe he is leaving because of the relationship he has with the McCaffrey family. Yes, the CJF stuff has sour'd me a little on the relationship aspect of it. So I am not 100% JoeT won't leave.

In what world is Ash's scholarship a big deal? What, you think we could have used it to get some stud? Everybody is always saying that McCaffrey needs to late down the number of players he uses. Why not give an unused schollie to someone who has put in their time?
I just have a different take on it.....he could have literally picked someone all around D1 skills out of the portal instead of giving it to a practice player at best.

I just have a different take on it.....he could have literally picked someone all around D1 skills out of the portal instead of giving it to a practice player at best.

Ok, yes, he could have done that but Fran giving it to Ash was a good thing to do for him and encourages other players to walkon at Iowa. The player they could have gotten in the portal probably wouldn't have moved the needle much anyway.

When Pitino got the Iona job in the back of my mind I thought if JoeT left that would be a good landing spot.

Once again I don't believe he is leaving because of the relationship he has with the McCaffrey family. Yes, the CJF stuff has sour'd me a little on the relationship aspect of it. So I am not 100% JoeT won't leave.
Not sure if Joe is a good enough shooter to play in a Pitino system.

If he does go don't be shocked if it's in conference. Like Rutgers. They lose Geo Baker to graduation after this season.

Fran runs the three guards in and out to tire the opponents

They come in with a lot of energy, usually, that is

JoeT, Ulis, and Perkins share the minutes almost equally

JoeT: 18 minutes
Ulis: 14 minutes
Perkins: 16 minutes

All in the Maryland game

This is a good thing, keeps the pressure on their guards and forwards
and keeps energy up for the press, three-quarter or half court