Joe T Likely Starter

Any idea how long it takes to shoot 500 3s? Is a 3 point contest 1 minute long? If so, that's easy math.

Looking forward to see him develop and he'll be doing that in fast forward with the injuries we have. If he can just concentrate on taking care of and distributing the ball ... and continuing to play rock solid D ... that's all we need from him this year. Plenty of offense on this team so he does not need to force shots up.

Maybe Fran needs to tailor a "fourth line" similar to that of hockey, which comes in for shorter minutes, to spell the top lines, and "hold down the fort" with disruption and tenacity. Hawkeye "Black Shirts."
One of the things I think Fran is going to have to start doing is using his timeouts strategically for rest throughout games. That might leave us a little more susceptible to a run by our opponent but I think it makes sense in a 40 minute game.

I also think he’s going to need to tailor the way we practice and recover during the season. In between games is going to be a lot about getting these guys bodies rested and recovered if we are going to have a bunch of guys playing close to 30 minutes a night.

One of the things I think Fran is going to have to start doing is using his timeouts strategically for rest throughout games. That might leave us a little more susceptible to a run by our opponent but I think it makes sense in a 40 minute game.

I also think he’s going to need to tailor the way we practice and recover during the season. In between games is going to be a lot about getting these guys bodies rested and recovered if we are going to have a bunch of guys playing close to 30 minutes a night.

Many teams only play 7 or 8 players more than 10 minutes a game and have 1 or 2 players on the bench that get some minutes when they have foul trouble. At Iowa we have just consistently had a 9 or 10 man rotation the last few years so we have become accustomed to think if we dont have 10 solid players that we have to change our whole game plan. I think part of Iowa's success this year has been helped by Fran being forced to tighten his rotation.

Till can play 5 or 10 minutes if needed. Now after Till I dont have much confidence.

Fran's always forced to make good decisions. I can't really argue it, but that take always makes me laugh.

Many teams only play 7 or 8 players more than 10 minutes a game and have 1 or 2 players on the bench that get some minutes when they have foul trouble. At Iowa we have just consistently had a 9 or 10 man rotation the last few years so we have become accustomed to think if we dont have 10 solid players that we have to change our whole game plan. I think part of Iowa's success this year has been helped by Fran being forced to tighten his rotation.

Till can play 5 or 10 minutes if needed. Now after Till I dont have much confidence.
The problem is right now we only have 6 players we can trust. Pemsl and Evelyn are still question marks. I’m comfortable with Till playing some spot minutes.

Speraw is supposed to be Iowa’s shot Doctor, and I don’t doubt his ability becuase we’ve had some really good shooters.

For me Toussaint needs more arch on his shot and he needs to focus on landing in the same spot as he jumped. The one he took in the Iowa State game he landed a good foot away from where he left the ground, that’s not what you want. His release is less than ideal but if he continues to put the work in I think he can become a serviceable shooter in time.

We should be getting a lineup that looks like most teams: starters getting 28-32 minutes a game instead of 11 guys with 15-20 and JBo with 32.

Some have wished Fran would shorten his bench

Wish granted.

Any idea how long it takes to shoot 500 3s? Is a 3 point contest 1 minute long? If so, that's easy math.
If he’s shouting 500 3s in one setting then his fundamentals are off and he’s going to have bad muscle memory by 250

Saving timeouts is fools play...spend them.

The problem is right now we only have 6 players we can trust. Pemsl and Evelyn are still question marks. I’m comfortable with Till playing some spot minutes.
True but, they only need to be on the floor for 15 minutes a game each most nights. If we can get 170 minutes from the top 6 then that only leaves 30 minutes to fill by the other 3.

True but, they only need to be on the floor for 15 minutes a game each most nights. If we can get 170 minutes from the top 6 then that only leaves 30 minutes to fill by the other 3.
15 minutes a game for two players can absolutely change the outcome of B1G games, considering how razor thin the margin for error is between winning or losing.

The other thing is by increasing the amount of minutes for Kriener, who is averaging 14.4 right now, it means that Iowa is going to be playing bigger and slower, which I feel is a disadvantage for us.

It is what it is there isn’t anything we can do about it at this point. We need to hope Pemsl and Evelyn step up and we can stay healthy. It’s going to be a tall task.

I fell in love with Joe T's game the first time I saw him play. He is exactly what this team has been lacking. More PT for him is going to do wonders for the Hawks. And I think it will help JBo as well. When he comes back he can focus on what he does best. Bombing 3's, baby!

Just gotta remember, he's a freshman. He's going to make mistakes. Probably a lot of them. But every mistake made is a learning opportunity. This kid is going to be one of the best PG's Iowa has ever had.

Latest posts