Joe T Likely Starter

RobHowe

Administrator
Iowa’s game notes list Bohannon’s replacement in the starting lineup at TBD. Fran then told us that they were still working through it. Joe T then told us he was starting and Connor M would be playing “point forward”, which is what he has been playing.

Fran also said there are matchups where they could go big with Kriener.

If JT excels, though, it could be tough to get him out of the starting 5.

I like having Kriener come off the bench and would have him play some minutes at the 4 alongside Garza as well as play the 5 around 4 guards.

Shifting more minutes toward the wing players will be a good thing with more quickness to defend and more ball handlers. Just need to rebound well.

Iowa’s game notes list Bohannon’s replacement in the starting lineup at TBD. Fran then told us that they were still working through it. Joe T then told us he was starting and Connor M would be playing “point forward”, which is what he has been playing.

Joe T disrupts and defends, a rare gem in an Iowa line-up. Once he is "in" he might stay in that spot like a tick for many years. Which would be a good thing.

I really think the Joe T turnover narrative is WAY overblown. His turnover percentage right now is lower than Clemmons and Jbo were as freshman, it’s lower than Connor’s was last year and it matches Gesell’s as a freshman.

To add to that a lot of Toussaint’s turnovers have been travels or charges, which while they are turnovers they are dead ball turnovers that don’t lead to an easy transition the other way.

I’ve been very impressed with Joe T’s passing and handling of the offense for the most part. He’s had some bad moments for sure but for the most part pretty good. Now with more extended minutes and more of the PG burden, maybe we will see more mistakes, but to date I think he’s been about as good as we could ask from a floor general standpoint. Shooting obviously isn’t there yet.

The possibility of an effective 3+ year starter at PG is intriguing. Not to take away from Jbo, Toussaint brings the dimension we need, and might I add, Jbo will be that much more effective next year because of it.

I actually prefer Kriener to start but I'm not Fran so I'll trust him.

Seems to me bringing Joe T fresh off the bench after 6 minutes would be really effective. However, if Joe starts then the first guard off the bench is going to be Evelyn, and I can't say I feel great about that one bit.

This is it right here. Starting or not he'll be playing significantly more. If he does well he's only going to be out there more. Talk about a great opportunity for the young fella. Would love to see him be up for it.

I like having Kriener come off the bench and would have him play some minutes at the 4 alongside Garza as well as play the 5 around 4 guards.

Shifting more minutes toward the wing players will be a good thing with more quickness to defend and more ball handlers. Just need to rebound well.
Yeah without having Nunge now I like having Kreiner coming off the bench. Someone has to backup Garza and honestly I don't think they play the greatest together out there at the same time. Fran has some interesting mixing and matching decisions to try and make. And our opponents will dictate a lot of that game to game too. But if Garza gets in foul trouble early in games it's down to Kriener and small ball..

Seems to me bringing Joe T fresh off the bench after 6 minutes would be really effective. However, if Joe starts then the first guard off the bench is going to be Evelyn, and I can't say I feel great about that one bit.
yeah, but who comes in for Garza? And who is Garza's insurance policy for foul trouble? Unfortunately, the depth is so razor thin now.

Wait...we are going to have a guy starting who can stop guard penetration with quickness and toughness? Why would we do this? This is going to take some getting used to. I'm going to have to refill my Xanax now...change is hard for me.

Fran also reiterated today what he said a few weeks ago, that P-Mac probably isn't going to come back this season.

And if he plays after the first half of the season, even for a minute, he's not eligible to red shirt should his health go south again.

Nothing shocks me in sports anymore, but I'd be really surprised if we see Patrick before next season.

Fran also reiterated today what he said a few weeks ago, that P-Mac probably isn't going to come back this season.

And if he plays after the first half of the season, even for a minute, he's not eligible to red shirt should his health go south again.

Nothing shocks me in sports anymore, but I'd be really surprised if we see Patrick before next season.
Thanks for the update. I was going to ask about that.

He could of helped this team with depth but if his health isn’t there it certainly doesn’t make sense to bring him back. He should have a really nice career at Iowa so that is the most important thing.

We start four guards so Kriener could literally enter the game for any player in our starting 5 and we’d still have a “normal” lineup.

No reason to change the style of lineup we employ for multiple players when we’ve been playing so well with the four guard lineup.

No matter which guy you could have decided to start our depth was still going to be questionable. Stick with what’s working.

Wait...we are going to have a guy starting who can stop guard penetration with quickness and toughness? Why would we do this? This is going to take some getting used to. I'm going to have to refill my Xanax now...change is hard for me.

Would soft change work.....

giphy.gif

:cool:

We start four guards so Kriener could literally enter the game for any player in our starting 5 and we’d still have a “normal” lineup.

No reason to change the style of lineup we employ for multiple players when we’ve been playing so well with the four guard lineup.

No matter which guy you could have decided to start our depth was still going to be questionable. Stick with what’s working.
Maybe Fran needs to tailor a "fourth line" similar to that of hockey, which comes in for shorter minutes, to spell the top lines, and "hold down the fort" with disruption and tenacity. Hawkeye "Black Shirts."

JT rebounds the ball, too. He plays much bigger than 6’. I expect a guy as athletic as he is to evolve quickly with more opportunity. It won’t take long for him to get comfortable, and we he does, the shots will start dropping. It should be fun to watch him come into his own.

Latest posts