Joe Labas Steps into Iowa Football Spotlight

Have you seen the list of WR's that are left? The offense could be worse than what we saw in the SDSU game.

The only hope is that the OL has dramatically improved so that Kaleb Johnson runs for over 150 yards, and of course the defense needs at least 2 takeaways.
Help me understand- KJ didn’t play, AB dropped and tripped away 2-3 wins…and lots in between. Seriously, are we worse off outside than what we saw ? Not really

Purdy's attributes:
1) Experience with starting a lot of games (Especially D1 P5 level)
2) A quick learner. He learned that 49'er playbook quite fast.
3) Quick processor before and during plays. Not all QB's have this.
4) Runs great fakes and look offs, details of a play. Good read progression.
5) Confidence and poise. Again, going back to the number of snaps he has played over the years.
6) He gets the ball out fast to receivers and even on pitches to McCaffery. He may not be able to throw downfield far with a lot of arm strength, but he gets the ball out very fast to the flat or short to medium routes. This gives the WR's, TE's and RB's so much a better chance at a successful play. Take notice of this when watching his play. It really is a benefit.
7) He's just a heady player.

Anyway, my take.
I don't know, I watched a lot of Purdy's college games on the tube and was never very impressed. His first year as a starter he simply threw a lot of 'toss up' balls to several tall WRs and more often than not they came down with the ball and made great catches. His last 2 years at ISU, I don't know his stats, but he seemed very inconsistent to me, which is somewhat confirmed by his team's record those two years.
All those 7 things listed above certainly didn't show up when he played against a stout Iowa defense for 3 years.
I tend to think his initial success now is more because of the 49ers offensive system, which doesn't require a rocket scientist -- it's why they can plug and play multiple QBs which have been successful.
I see him as a long-term backup in the NFL, if that. Has any other player chosen last in an NFL draft gone on to be starting QB without injury to the QBs ahead of him on the depth chart? If he's the first, it would be an amazing accomplishment.

Labas has a ONE game sample-size to even be considered for playing time next year with Cade coming.

You bet your @$$ he's motivated.
Labas is auditioning for back-up next year against a incoming freshman. Wouldn’t be surprised to see May get some reps if Labas really struggles. Labas has a lot to gain or lose. I’m just happy to see a guy that if he makes rookie mistakes is actually a rookie.

I don't know, I watched a lot of Purdy's college games on the tube and was never very impressed. His first year as a starter he simply threw a lot of 'toss up' balls to several tall WRs and more often than not they came down with the ball and made great catches. His last 2 years at ISU, I don't know his stats, but he seemed very inconsistent to me, which is somewhat confirmed by his team's record those two years.
All those 7 things listed above certainly didn't show up when he played against a stout Iowa defense for 3 years.
I tend to think his initial success now is more because of the 49ers offensive system, which doesn't require a rocket scientist -- it's why they can plug and play multiple QBs which have been successful.
I see him as a long-term backup in the NFL, if that. Has any other player chosen last in an NFL draft gone on to be starting QB without injury to the QBs ahead of him on the depth chart? If he's the first, it would be an amazing accomplishment.

So, he's successful with the 49'ers mostly because of their terrific complimentary players and play, but that doesn't count when at Iowa State. Ok.

So, there is no turnover of roster in college??? There is more of an effect of roster turnover from year to year in college than in the NFL, and should be expected. It's a crap shoot some years after players move on.

My point is teams in college change year to year just like situations in the NFL change. I'm merely pointing out attributes that I see which is quite odd for a young player. All I'm saying. He's checking the boxes and I don't think he has to apologize for that.

I'm betting he's a good starting NFL QB going forward, you're betting he'll be a good backup.

It's going to be interesting to watch and see who eats crow on this one.

So, he's successful with the 49'ers mostly because of their terrific complimentary players and play, but that doesn't count when at Iowa State. Ok.

So, there is no turnover of roster in college??? There is more of an effect of roster turnover from year to year in college than in the NFL, and should be expected. It's a crap shoot some years after players move on.

My point is teams in college change year to year just like situations in the NFL change. I'm merely pointing out attributes that I see which is quite odd for a young player. All I'm saying. He's checking the boxes and I don't think he has to apologize for that.

I'm betting he's a good starting NFL QB going forward, you're betting he'll be a good backup.

It's going to be interesting to watch and see who eats crow on this one.
Too bad CJ wasn't still on the team. Talk about lucky break for Purdy. The offense weapons, line, and D make being the QB of the 49's possible for a rookie. So much of the NFL is about opportunities.

Too bad CJ wasn't still on the team. Talk about lucky break for Purdy. The offense weapons, line, and D make being the QB of the 49's possible for a rookie. So much of the NFL is about opportunities.

Definitely. Yes, too bad they moved CJ. I thought he did pretty good in the preseason games as well and the few opportunities he had. Purdy fell into a great situation and making the most out of it.

I’d like to see Iowa come out with Labas throwing 40+ times
It’s a meaningless game. Give the kid a chance to show what he’s got.

Definitely. Yes, too bad they moved CJ. I thought he did pretty good in the preseason games as well and the few opportunities he had. Purdy fell into a great situation and making the most out of it.
CJ was gutsy. He never remotely looked like Purdy. Maybe CJ in his Jr year....minus the hits he took though Purdy will likely be of injured the way he plays. Just not as much as CJ.

Watch Purdy play. He is like Montana to a point with a touch of Brady. However other teams will get more and more film on him.

CJ was gutsy. He never remotely looked like Purdy. Maybe CJ in his Jr year....minus the hits he took though Purdy will likely be of injured the way he plays. Just not as much as CJ.

Watch Purdy play. He is like Montana to a point with a touch of Brady. However other teams will get more and more film on him.

First, I never said he did.

Second, Purdy has just as much chance to get injured like any other NFL QB. He's not a dual threat QB. They aren't even remotely close to running him like some running QB's of the past. He's no Vick and even no Lamar Jackson.

But, your impression like a mixture of Montana and Brady seems spot on to me. Not a bad combo. I think he sticks. I really do.

I heard in an interview the magic number of games for film on a QB is something like 4-5. He's right there and still checking boxes.

I’d like to see Iowa come out with Labas throwing 40+ times
It’s a meaningless game. Give the kid a chance to show what he’s got.

That is so not Iowa's style and they would never deviate that much from their game plan, especially to see what they have for the future.

Interestingly though, I did hear on the radio media reports that people have witnessed Labas doing some RPO in practices down there. That could be exciting. Either this is true, or KF is muddying the water for Kentucky's D to plan.

First, I never said he did.

Second, Purdy has just as much chance to get injured like any other NFL QB. He's not a dual threat QB. They aren't even remotely close to running him like some running QB's of the past. He's no Vick and even no Lamar Jackson.

But, your impression like a mixture of Montana and Brady seems spot on to me. Not a bad combo. I think he sticks. I really do.

I heard in an interview the magic number of games for film on a QB is something like 4-5. He's right there and still checking boxes.
CJ came across to me as a blue collar qb. Does what is needed to get the job done. I do remember some insane passes Purdy completed against Iowa.

I wanted Jimmy G to succeed due to his local connections (EIU-NFL QB U), but he just doesn't have the extra moxy. Likely he would have been a good fit for KF. Purdy also reminds me of Rick S, but so far without the blindness. Been a 9er fans since John Brodie days.

That is so not Iowa's style and they would never deviate that much from their game plan, especially to see what they have for the future.

Interestingly though, I did hear on the radio media reports that people have witnessed Labas doing some RPO in practices down there. That could be exciting. Either this is true, or KF is muddying the water for Kentucky's D to plan.
And that's the point....
What better than a meaningless bowl game to experiment?

Remember when you more or less said you couldn't understand me? Are you being serious or sarcastic?

Kind of both. I really think this is how the coaches (mainly KF) look at the situation but I might not agree with them.

Maybe I'm being facetious, whatever the hell that means. Lucky I could spell it. :D

Kind of both. I really think this is how the coaches (mainly KF) look at the situation but I might not agree with them.

Maybe I'm being facetious, whatever the hell that means. Lucky I could spell it. :D
That made me laugh. About as much as KF asking for money from fans...which really did make me laugh. His more funny like.... this can't be serious. Yours is just funny.

Latest posts