Joe Labas Steps into Iowa Football Spotlight

Have you seen the list of WR's that are left? The offense could be worse than what we saw in the SDSU game.

The only hope is that the OL has dramatically improved so that Kaleb Johnson runs for over 150 yards, and of course the defense needs at least 2 takeaways.

Will be awesomely brilliant or a catastrophic flop. Hope it's the former.
..... or he could simply be at a redshirt freshman level with signs of hope.

Why does it have to be one extreme or the other????? It's funny as fans many have to think it has to be that way. It doesn't.

Have you seen the list of WR's that are left? The offense could be worse than what we saw in the SDSU game.

The only hope is that the OL has dramatically improved so that Kaleb Johnson runs for over 150 yards, and of course the defense needs at least 2 takeaways.

Can we run 4 TE routes?

Labas has a ONE game sample-size to even be considered for playing time next year with Cade coming.

You bet your @$$ he's motivated.

Will be awesomely brilliant or a catastrophic flop. Hope it's the former.
My guess is that we will see some impressive moments followed by a few head scratchers. Coaches will have to limit his playbook, not ask him to do too much. But, he has some “feet” that may be fun to watch. I just hope we get a win and see some O Line improvement.

My guess is that we will see some impressive moments followed by a few head scratchers. Coaches will have to limit his playbook, not ask him to do too much. But, he has some “feet” that may be fun to watch. I just hope we get a win and see some O Line improvement.

This is a terrific video of John Lynch describing what makes Brock Purdy such a special QB. He does a great job of explaining the little things that good QB's do to help them open up receivers such as looking, or pump faking a LB to get a receiver open. He talks of details and describes attributes that some QB's have over others. It is rather interesting.

Many fans think it's all about just making simple reads but there is so much more to it than that, and why it takes some QB's longer to development and be ready.

I am a Brock Purdy fan and I think he's going to be a starter for some time in the NFL. He just has it.

This is some of what I'm sure the Iowa coaching staff is trying to teach the QB's.

This is a terrific video of John Lynch describing what makes Brock Purdy such a special QB. He does a great job of explaining the little things that good QB's do to help them open up receivers such as looking, or pump faking a LB to get a receiver open. He talks of details and describes attributes that some QB's have over others. It is rather interesting.

Many fans think it's all about just making simple reads but there is so much more to it than that, and why it takes some QB's longer to development and be ready.

I am a Brock Purdy fan and I think he's going to be a starter for some time in the NFL. He just has it.

This is some of what I'm sure the Iowa coaching staff is trying to teach the QB's.

The 49ers run what Iowa dreams about. Which is why CJ was drafted like he was. Whether he can continue remains to be seen. Iowa QBs typically have very poor footwork and vision. Been a problem under multiple OCs.

I watch Houston's JD Piland being developed by his dad for years before he moved to play in Texas. His fundamentals were fantastic thx to his dad (an attorney). They worked and worked and worked on footwork. He was a skinny kid that was not very strong in jr high. Concussions cut his career short. Iowa QBs just plain out struggle with footwork and shoulder position. McCann wasn't bad, he just wasn't talented. Banks was good at footwork and moving through progressions. He could also see where he could take off and run which I think drove KF nuts. CJ just had guts and instincts, but not particularly good mechanics on footwork. Many Iowa QBs just aren't cocked and ready with their body when the opportunity presents itself. Purdy is almost always ready. This BS that Iowa QBs have too much of a sophisticated offense to learn is BS. It's about fundamentals. HF's QBs tended to have good fundamentals. Some of this may come from under KF, protecting the pig is paramount which doesn't get one into a position to throw. Mostly I think they are just terrible at teaching fundamentals. Tate was cocked and ready, but he was all over the place in scrambling around. Stanzi was good but didn't always see danger, trying to make something in every play.

When you see someone that has good fundamentals it is quite noticeable. Purdy seems to have those fundamentals.

The 49ers run what Iowa dreams about. Which is why CJ was drafted like he was. Whether he can continue remains to be seen. Iowa QBs typically have very poor footwork and vision. Been a problem under multiple OCs.

I watch Houston's JD Piland being developed by his dad for years before he moved to play in Texas. His fundamentals were fantastic thx to his dad (an attorney). They worked and worked and worked on footwork. He was a skinny kid that was not very strong in jr high. Concussions cut his career short. Iowa QBs just plain out struggle with footwork and shoulder position. McCann wasn't bad, he just wasn't talented. Banks was good at footwork and moving through progressions. He could also see where he could take off and run which I think drove KF nuts. CJ just had guts and instincts, but not particularly good mechanics on footwork. Many Iowa QBs just aren't cocked and ready with their body when the opportunity presents itself. Purdy is almost always ready. This BS that Iowa QBs have too much of a sophisticated offense to learn is BS. It's about fundamentals. HF's QBs tended to have good fundamentals. Some of this may come from under KF, protecting the pig is paramount which doesn't get one into a position to throw. Mostly I think they are just terrible at teaching fundamentals. Tate was cocked and ready, but he was all over the place in scrambling around. Stanzi was good but didn't always see danger, trying to make something in every play.

When you see someone that has good fundamentals it is quite noticeable. Purdy seems to have those fundamentals.

Purdy's attributes:
1) Experience with starting a lot of games (Especially D1 P5 level)
2) A quick learner. He learned that 49'er playbook quite fast.
3) Quick processor before and during plays. Not all QB's have this.
4) Runs great fakes and look offs, details of a play. Good read progression.
5) Confidence and poise. Again, going back to the number of snaps he has played over the years.
6) He gets the ball out fast to receivers and even on pitches to McCaffery. He may not be able to throw downfield far with a lot of arm strength, but he gets the ball out very fast to the flat or short to medium routes. This gives the WR's, TE's and RB's so much a better chance at a successful play. Take notice of this when watching his play. It really is a benefit.
7) He's just a heady player.

Anyway, my take.