Joe Alt

Zstatman

I just perused a 2024 mock draft, and Cooper DeJean, is right there in the middle of the first round. I did see Joe Alt out of Notre Dame listed in the Top 10 and I'm thinking Alt, Alt, Alt,, why do I know that name? Looked it up and see that he is the son of former Iowa and NFL star John Alt.

This has probably been discussed here in HN but wanted to throw it out there. Wonder why he didn't come to Iowa?

I just perused a 2024 mock draft, and Cooper DeJean, is right there in the middle of the first round. I did see Joe Alt out of Notre Dame listed in the Top 10 and I'm thinking Alt, Alt, Alt,, why do I know that name? Looked it up and see that he is the son of former Iowa and NFL star John Alt.

This has probably been discussed here in HN but wanted to throw it out there. Wonder why he didn't come to Iowa?
Why the hell would he? Honest question.

John Alt has 0 connection to Iowa other than he played here 40 years ago, which isn't much. Iowa never offered his kid and even had they, if ND comes calling you go to Notre Dame.

If the NFL doesn't work out, who's getting hired in the job market? A ND grad or and Iowa grad? Total no-brainer.

John Alt has 0 connection to Iowa other than he played here 40 years ago, which isn't much. Iowa never offered his kid and even had they, if ND comes calling you go to Notre Dame.

If the NFL doesn't work out, who's getting hired in the job market? A ND grad or and Iowa grad? Total no-brainer.

I thought this topic might elicit a Fry reply!

I know ND is always a big draw but sometimes I don't see it. To me, they are almost an also-ran school, no conference affiliation to get the fan base excited about, they don't make the playoffs that often and when they do they get thumped. But I understand the draw.

I would think John brought Joe to some Iowa games as a kid. No idea where the Alt's livenow, I see John was from Minnesota. That should have given us some loyalty, legacy points.

And I think an Iowa degree is as powerful as an ND degree.

...they are almost an also-ran school...

Those two statements have to be the most ridiculous ever posted on these forums. Definitely in the same post...

Notre Dame is an also-ran? An Iowa degree is as powerful as a Notre Dame degree?

If I didn't know you were trolling I might think @4thngoal was back on the boards.

I thought this topic might elicit a Fry reply!

I know ND is always a big draw but sometimes I don't see it. To me, they are almost an also-ran school, no conference affiliation to get the fan base excited about, they don't make the playoffs that often and when they do they get thumped. But I understand the draw.

I would think John brought Joe to some Iowa games as a kid. No idea where the Alt's livenow, I see John was from Minnesota. That should have given us some loyalty, legacy points.

I also don't really get the luv or view ND as this big juggarnot for the reasons you state above. I don't get it.

Those two statements have to be the most ridiculous ever posted on these forums. Definitely in the same post...

Notre Dame is an also-ran? An Iowa degree is as powerful as a Notre Dame degree?

If I didn't know you were trolling I might think @4thngoal was back on the boards.
ND has a super massive alumni base that maybe no other college has. Almost every ND FB player will find a 6 figure job our of college when they leave.

It's not about what they do on the football field, especially as it compares to putting players into the NFL. I think they're close to IA that way.

I think there would've been more of a chance if he lived in Iowa and Joe was exposed more to his dad's alma mater. The one chance Iowa had was that KF was John's OL coach in college.

I'll leave the rest of your erroneous post alone, but have you ever been to a Notre Dame game and seen the helmets and fans in person? Their fanbase, at least those who can afford to go to games, is probably on average a standard deviation higher in IQ than the Iowa fan base. And the gold really pops in person. Like it's ridiculous. And their fans have this religious affiliation with the school as well. I get why they are considered an elite program. I do think that them, Standford and Northwestern actually do require some degree of academic competence to get in even as a football player. I truly hate Notre Dame, but I can respect what they are. And they are light years ahead of Iowa.

If my son had a full ride to ND it would be virtually impossible to pass up unless he also had a full ride to Standford. I know this is a bitter pill to swallow, but Iowa is more like Kansas State or Nebraska than Notre Dame or any other elite or borderline elite school. My son is only 8 but he wants to go to Illinois and even Illinois is like a million times better than Iowa as an academic institution.

Maybe Joe would have ended up at Iowa had his older brother Mark taken his Hawkeye gray short offer to play quarterback instead of going the hockey route. Probably the wise choice on Mark's part, however, as he was the 53rd overall pick in the NHL Draft.

Notre Dame is basically a Midwest ivy league that still has a great football program.

The tradition and love people have for it really can’t be be matched by any program.

However, F them for faking injuries in 1953.

I'll leave the rest of your erroneous post alone, but have you ever been to a Notre Dame game and seen the helmets and fans in person? Their fanbase, at least those who can afford to go to games, is probably on average a standard deviation higher in IQ than the Iowa fan base. And the gold really pops in person. Like it's ridiculous. And their fans have this religious affiliation with the school as well. I get why they are considered an elite program. I do think that them, Standford and Northwestern actually do require some degree of academic competence to get in even as a football player. I truly hate Notre Dame, but I can respect what they are. And they are light years ahead of Iowa.

If my son had a full ride to ND it would be virtually impossible to pass up unless he also had a full ride to Standford. I know this is a bitter pill to swallow, but Iowa is more like Kansas State or Nebraska than Notre Dame or any other elite or borderline elite school. My son is only 8 but he wants to go to Illinois and even Illinois is like a million times better than Iowa as an academic institution.
I go to a ND game almost every season. It's a challenge to think of any program with a better tradition and history, and the gameday experience is very good. Combine that with the academics, and an opportunity to go on a full ride is indeed a no-brainer. That said, South Bend is a dump. It's amazing that ND has been able to carve out such an amazing history there.

As for Illinois vs Iowa, academic rankings generally give huge consideration and props to schools that offer engineering. Iowa's lack of a well-established engineering program will always impact the ratings. Outside of engineering, I would say the two schools are pretty much on-par.

Latest posts