Jess Settles on BTN

MelroseHawkins

Not being a homer with the goggles on, I think he does a pretty good job on the BTN. I wasn't quite sure how that was going to work out initially, but I think he brings pretty solid analysis and commentary & is pretty easy to listen to. He seems pretty objective with all teams and tells it like it is but on a professional level. If Minnesota can't guard, he states that but on a game level & not just to be an azzhat. Nicely done Settles. ;)

Plus he said Uthoff 'two fisted it right on the Cornhuskers' last night. That was good for a laffy from me.

Something was different about Jess's hair?
Did he dye it or get some plugs in the front?

Maybe, it's just a spillover affect from seeing Brian Urlacher's picture all day.

I really like Settles on BTN, and with Chuck Long on the football broadcasts it gives a smaller market school like Iowa some guys on the inside

I love Settles on BTN! At first he was a bit too hyped up but he is growing into the part nicely and brings the passion one would expect from Jess Settles. Love the way he can't hide his Hawkeye Pride while recapping the Hawk wins.

I always thought Jess was great for BTN and he has always provided great analysis. The only issue I had was his high voice volume when he first started. He was shouting, almost yelling, for a while and it was irritating, but the studio staff corrected him.

Count me as another that thinks Settles does a great job. He is knowledgeable, amusing and outspoken. Unfortunately, he has the perfect face for radio (just kidding, Jess!).

Anyone hear Jess on BTN last night? He was talking about teams like Indiana playing on Senior Night. He said something like, "I know a lot about senior nights. I had three of them." Made me chuckle.

I like him. He's having fun and it's showing.

Agree with poster who said it's nice to have to Iowa guys on BTN. Good props for the school.

Any time to see not only a Hawkeye, but an Iowan succeed is great.

Jess is doing a great job, everytime I see he in on the broadcast I am a bit more tuned in, no doubt about it!

He started out trying sooooo hard, with the yelling and shouting. But now he's grown into the job and I think he's doing very well. I enjoy his analysis.

He called it the other night. He said first one to hit 7 threes was going to win and he was right though it was close.

He started out trying sooooo hard, with the yelling and shouting. But now he's grown into the job and I think he's doing very well. I enjoy his analysis.

Didn't care for him a whole lot last year as a color guy when he called the Iowa/UNI game last year on BTN, but he seems pretty well suited to be a studio analyst. I think he's doing an excellent job.

And it's always great to see former Hawkeyes.

I really like Settles on BTN, and with Chuck Long on the football broadcasts it gives a smaller market school like Iowa some guys on the inside
Settles has done really well I think and for the same reasons I agree with you on both guys. I don't think Chuck is as natural or good on the TV side of things during live games. I love him in the analyst chair much like Settles is doing though. I'm surprised Chuck didn't stick with coaching and be an assistant somewhere. I know he flamed out as a HC at SDSU but when he was OUs OC under Stoops I thought he did pretty darn good and had a lot to give the game. I even was hoping he'd come back to Iowa if Davis were to step down at any point to do the same thing... Has he said he's not interested in coaching anymore? If he has I just haven't heard it either way

Settles has done really well I think and for the same reasons I agree with you on both guys. I don't think Chuck is as natural or good on the TV side of things during live games. I love him in the analyst chair much like Settles is doing though. I'm surprised Chuck didn't stick with coaching and be an assistant somewhere. I know he flamed out as a HC at SDSU but when he was OUs OC under Stoops I thought he did pretty darn good and had a lot to give the game. I even was hoping he'd come back to Iowa if Davis were to step down at any point to do the same thing... Has he said he's not interested in coaching anymore? If he has I just haven't heard it either way

I'd say he followed Bobby Hanson's path to leisure....makes the pro's, be careful with your money, retire fully early, then do what you want.

In Bobby's case, the BB games. In Chuck's case, the BTN.

I haven't heard whether Chuck has interest in coaching again, but he was recently named the CEO of the Iowa Sports Federation, the group that puts on the Iowa Games, so I think he's keeping himself plenty busy.

Latest posts