Jerry Palm has Iowa on the bubble for the first time

HawkPrd I feel like you are single handedly willing this team in to the tourney at this point.

3814841_300.jpg

0120.jpg

Serious question...how does everyone feel if we end up in Dayton? Honestly at this point...I think the team just wants the season to be over...judging by the way they act.

If this is the way the team feels...then the heck with them. They have 1000's of fans out there pulling for them, and they pack it in. That had BETTER NOT be the case!

Just because it's not used as an official criteria any longer doesn't mean the commitee can't take it in to account when making decisions.

Agreed. But seriously its such a double edged sword. I hated when they used this in the past, but now that, on the surface its not a criteria, I kind of hate it at the same time. It suddenly makes sense why it was used initially.

There were a lot of bubble teams that needed to win yesterday and didn't...Arkansas, BYU, Cal, St Johns, Green Bay...Iowa is fine

Disagree. Iowa is IN. They certainly are not "fine".;)

For Iowa's sake, the "body of work" principle, which tends to demonstrate potential capability in a tournament setting, will be their saving grace. It will also be why several other equally or more deserving teams, right now, will be in the NIT.

On the whole, Iowa has demonstrated they are capable of playing high quality basketball, against quality competition, for the slim majority of the season. There's no question they are NOT an NCAA caliber team, right now and over the last month, however, the committee's guidelines and stated points of emphasis have virtually tied their hands to have to take Iowa.

The only option the committee has to "punish" Iowa for crashing their party is to send them far away and seed them lower so it is more likely they will leave early. Their contempt toward or confidence in Iowa will be displayed by either the 11 / 12 or the 9 / 10 next to their name on Sunday.

If this is the way the team feels...then the heck with them. They have 1000's of fans out there pulling for them, and they pack it in. That had BETTER NOT be the case!

What else can it be? Honestly.

We don't have any apparent injuries or illnesses, so health isn't the reason. We went thru the first 2/3rds of the B1G season at 8-4 having played our toughest games in that stretch with a defensive efficiency in the Top 30 of the country.

There is no logical reason, outside of locker room/chemistry issues, that this team all of a sudden forgot how to guard, how to encourage, and how to play for the man next to you.

The team has the same look that Lick's last team at Iowa had....that blank, apathetic, "can we please just get the season over" look. The only reason we aren't getting blown out like that team did is because we actually have talented players on this team.

They've quit....and frankly, I have too.

I'm getting a little nervous...I know all the experts say they're a lock...but...it honestly wouldn't surprise me if the committee leaves the hawks at home on Sunday.

I refuse to be nervous, sweat or hand-wring. I'm going in to Selection Sunday expecting them to be out and hoping to be pleasantly surprised if they're in. I've suffered enough disappointment with this team.

I've pretty much made my peace with whatever happens. Obviously I'd rather see them in the dance. At the same time, though, I expect them to get bounced in the first round, and if they get left out, I feel that's what they've earned. So either way, I'm prepared to roll with it.

Iowa won't make the NCAA.

Liking this not because I like it, but I agree with it. Some folks here are drinking a whole lot of black and gold Kool-Aid today. I fear it's going to taste pretty sour after the brackets are announced Sunday. I would love to be wrong about that ...

I refuse to be nervous, sweat or hand-wring. I'm going in to Selection Sunday expecting them to be out and hoping to be pleasantly surprised if they're in. I've suffered enough disappointment with this team.

I've pretty much made my peace with whatever happens. Obviously I'd rather see them in the dance. At the same time, though, I expect them to get bounced in the first round, and if they get left out, I feel that's what they've earned. So either way, I'm prepared to roll with it.

Absolutely the right approaches. If Iowa dances, great. Hope they do well. If not, will follow them through the NIT circuit.

There is a good chance we will lose first round of the NCAA but there is a 100% chance we would lose in the first round of the NIT. If you think the last 7 games have been pathetic, you just wait till you see their effort if they go to the NIT.

Liking this not because I like it, but I agree with it. Some folks here are drinking a whole lot of black and gold Kool-Aid today. I fear it's going to taste pretty sour after the brackets are announced Sunday. I would love to be wrong about that ...

I don't really consider it drinking the Kool-aid, I consider Iowa a lock because of their resume.

Serious question...how does everyone feel if we end up in Dayton? Honestly at this point...I think the team just wants the season to be over...judging by the way they act.

Honestly I kinda do to, I will watch whatever game they play but I am not looking forward to it. I guess I lied when I said last week I was going to look forward to Selection Sunday and hearing Iowa's name announced, I will still watch it but with no expectations and not really caring who they play against or what seed they get.

There is a good chance we will lose first round of the NCAA but there is a 100% chance we would lose in the first round of the NIT. If you think the last 7 games have been pathetic, you just wait till you see their effort if they go to the NIT.

I don't know about 100% loss in the NIT, as a 1 seed they would get a pretty crappy opponent in that first round. But definitely no deep run and I would not expect many people to show up at Carver.

I think it is official.....the Iowa basketball team has almost sunk to the level of ISU football. I say almost, because at least ISU's football players act like they give a crap.

Iowa suffered its sixth loss in its past seven games on Thursday, this time against Northwestern, in about as lifeless a performance as you'll see in mid-March. This loss continued the "Why is Iowa in?" Twitter cascade, much of it from disappointed Iowa fans, but the answer really isn't that complicated. Before their collapse, the Hawkeyes were something like a No. 4 seed. They've plummeted since -- the Hawkeyes have "15-point first-round loss" tattooed on their foreheads at this point -- but only so far. Recency doesn't matter to the committee like it used to. The games are just the games. And if you ignore the dates, and just look at Iowa's wins and losses, there's zero chance you'd leave them out of the tournament in favor of actual bubble teams like, say, Florida State. No chance.

Honestly I kinda do to, I will watch whatever game they play but I am not looking forward to it. I guess I lied when I said last week I was going to look forward to Selection Sunday and hearing Iowa's name announced, I will still watch it but with no expectations and not really caring who they play against or what seed they get.

I'm not sure if I agree with this. I think if this team is selected to dance it takes a great deal of pressure off the team and it might be enough to loosen them up and get that chip off their shoulder. As I said earlier, this team has looked tighter and tighter as the season has wound down and I truly feel the pressure they are under has a great deal to do with that. I think it could do wonders for the tension of this team. Not saying they'll make a dent in the bracket but hopefully will play with more passion and emotion.

Latest posts