Jerry Kill retiring immediately for health reasons

this is getting bizzare. How many teams will Iowa play this year where the coach got fired or replaced in a 12-month period.

ILL, NTX, Wisc, Neb, Pitt, MD, Minn
gone for sure in last 12 months

Iowa St, Indy, Pur may be gone soon too.

Iowa will face at least 3 interim coaches this year. Is that a record?

Last edited:
Not trying to be insensitive, but I am glad they have Michigan this week and Iowa doesn't have to deal with them for another 3 weeks.

The presser got to me..... I hope this isn't a Flip Saunders deal where you think he is shutting it down as a pre-caution and you later find out it is far more serious.

I feel terrible for Coach Kill, but for his and his family's sake, I'm glad he could quit while it was his decision versus not being able to adequately review things and come to a decision on his own.

A good guy is leaving the coaching ranks...

Just watched his press conference on the BIG. Two things really stick out to me about him. The Unselfishness of him and wanting to put the university 1st and not wanting to "steal" from the university which means he didn't want to take salary from them if he couldn't adequately do the job on his terms. The other thing I really noticed is how transparent he is about the situation, his health & his feelings.

I think what went down is that he has not been following the advice of his physician's and taking the meds on schedule as they recommended. He stated he didn't feel he could think correctly or how he would like to coach while taking them. He has had some recent seizures. His physician very recently recommended to him that it would be in his and his families best interest if he retired and focused on his health for the future. He made comment he wants to follow recommendations now so that he will be able to think in the future.

He was torn as this is all he has ever done and he loves football and working with the young players. He's not sure what his role will be in the future or what he will do.

In the end, I think he didn't want to "cheat" the university and wanted to coach the best he could so didn't take the meds as was advised. It sounds like there is a progression of his condition over time which can be detrimental if don't take the meds or care of himself.

A sad situation indeed as he is just a football coach.

I also watched the press conference. Kill looked & sounded awful.

Poor Bucky, I think he just had his chompers all cleaned up last year too if I remember correctly. Such a good ol simple feller.

I also watched the press conference. Kill looked & sounded awful.

Looked and sounded Awful?? Going to chalk it up to poor choice of words. I didn't think that at all. Kill looked the same as he always has to me and sounded like a guy struggling to come to terms with having to leaving something he loves. Very tough to watch!

I liked Kill a lot. A great coach, better guy, with a great, inspirational story. B1G is losing a good coach.

I wish him the best.

Best wishes to Coach Kill. He really seemed to get the Minnesota program moving again, and it looked like he was doing everything the right way. It's a big loss for college football any time a guy like JK leaves the game.

The coaching staff at Minnesota has been together with Coach Kill for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised to see Minnesota permanently promote an assistant into the head coaching role to keep the staff together and maintain the positive momentum they have created.

On a personal level, many prayers go out to Coach Kill, a really decent man.

However i I could care less about the Gopher program, still looking to beat them into submission.

Latest posts