Jerry Kill retiring immediately for health reasons

spliff45

Whoa...Seemed like a ggod guy. Best wishes to him.

Minnesota Football ‏@GopherFootball 12m12 minutes ago

Coach Kill announced today that he is retiring effective immediately due to health reasons. Tracy Claeys has been named interim head coach.

What a weird year for NCAA coaches leaving on their own in mid year or let go. I think there is 6 current openings or interim situations.

Tough pill for the Gophers to swallow.
Kill seemed like a great coach and an even better man.

It seemed like he was slowly building Minnesota into a pretty decent team. Hopefully they will find a good replacement. His staff was solid as a rock so maybe there is someone that is ready within.

Good luck Minny, sorry to see him go. Makes me grateful for the longevity we have had under Fry and Ferentz.

Good luck to Coach Kill and his family. I am not sure what health problems he is facing but he and his family are in my prayers.

Unfortunate for the Gophers. Best wishes to Kill and his family.

However, it's time to make a push with Iowa legacy Sean Foster and make things right

http://247sports.com/Player/Sean-Foster-31650

Too early?

Hope Coach Kill is able to regain his health. That's where my thoughts are right now. He's a good guy, a solid coach, and a good role model for the players who had the opportunity to play for him. He and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Unfortunate for the Gophers. Best wishes to Kill and his family.

However, it's time to make a push with Iowa legacy Sean Foster and make things right

http://247sports.com/Player/Sean-Foster-31650

Not familiar with this kid (probably because I don't really follow recruiting) but the link shows he has 20 offers and Iowa wasn't one of them.

If he is willing to change his commitment from Minnesota due to the coaching change, what makes you think Iowa has a chance? It just seems far fetched to me that he would change to a school that hadn't even offered in the past but again that's pure speculation as I have no knowledge of the situation.

Anything you can share?

Just watched a little bit of his presser....man that was both brutal and heartbreaking. Without a doubt, this is the right move for him.

My sister has dealt with Epilepsy her entire life and I can speak from firsthand experience that it is a constant struggle. She has been on and off dozens of different medications to try and balance fending off seizures with living a quality standard of life. She has recently had a device implanted that is basically a pacemaker for her brain, which sends electrical pulses to her brain every few minutes. If successful it will allow her to wean off some of the medication she has to take to battle her seizures. As for Kill, the fact that he was able to run a (successful) college program while living with the condition is a testament to how amazing he is. I don't blame him one bit for stepping down though as I'm sure all the pressures with the team can be quite daunting. Hopefully someday he can get back into the game he loves in some facet.

Too bad for both. Coach Kill seemed like a good guy and a great coach. Just when it looked like the Gophers found the right fit for them...................

That's life though.:(

Just watched his press conference on the BIG. Two things really stick out to me about him. The Unselfishness of him and wanting to put the university 1st and not wanting to "steal" from the university which means he didn't want to take salary from them if he couldn't adequately do the job on his terms. The other thing I really noticed is how transparent he is about the situation, his health & his feelings.

I think what went down is that he has not been following the advice of his physician's and taking the meds on schedule as they recommended. He stated he didn't feel he could think correctly or how he would like to coach while taking them. He has had some recent seizures. His physician very recently recommended to him that it would be in his and his families best interest if he retired and focused on his health for the future. He made comment he wants to follow recommendations now so that he will be able to think in the future.

He was torn as this is all he has ever done and he loves football and working with the young players. He's not sure what his role will be in the future or what he will do.

In the end, I think he didn't want to "cheat" the university and wanted to coach the best he could so didn't take the meds as was advised. It sounds like there is a progression of his condition over time which can be detrimental if don't take the meds or care of himself.

A sad situation indeed as he is just a football coach.

Latest posts