Jeff Peterson ponders a return to Iowa

He's a great guy and I would welcome the experience. Could we do better? Possibly, but we certainly would be hurt by him being on the team.

Won't he have to sit out another year if he transfers?

I believe there's a rule where if he takes graduate courses not available at the school he previously attended, he doesn't. Just like Anderson from NIU to ISU last year. That's how I think it goes anyway.

Won't he have to sit out another year if he transfers?

From the article..
"Peterson would be eligible to play next season if he earns enough credits to graduate this summer and if he is granted a waiver by the NCAA. He likely would have to file an appeal with the NCAA because he already has transferred once."

He would not have to sit a year because he graduated. He would take graduate courses at his "new" school and be able to play next year.

JP would make a solid, solid back-up to Cartwright. If he has to sit a yr, then I doubt Iowa goes after him anyway. If he can play next season, this could be quite the story.

the thing is that JP is a business major and i highly doubt that Arkansas doesnt have an MBA program

he would have to likely enroll in a different degree program and hopefully try to take some elective courses. sounds like a longshot when hoops is the obvious reason for the transfer.

I guess I still don't see the obvious hoops reason for the transfer. He started for the Hogs last season and the coach says he wants him back, did they recruit some stud to replace him?

If he were to come to Iowa, he could take minutes away from a younger player on the roster who could use the minutes to develop. At the same time he would fill a huge need on the team giving Fran a quality proven back-up. It doesn't help Iowa in the 2012 season but he would provide immediate help.

I'm all for it.....because Iowa needs guys who create and break down the defense.

I would welcome Jeff back. With the recent news of our favorable draw in the league,along with a light non-conference schedule, Iowa needs to raise its goals,imo.
If you added a veteran pg like Jeff to go with veterans like Bryce,Matt,Brommer,Archie(5 seniors on scholly...when did that happen last) and juniors like Eric May and the 26yr old Hubbard...now that is an experienced crew...maybe the most experienced in the league. The league lost a ton of seniors and juniors last year,so it is going to be full of youth. Jeff can shoot the three..and could play a combo alongside Bryce if needed...outside shooting is always welcome,as are ballhandling. I think it is a need,and Jeff is a smart kid who would pick it up fast. As he said,the only reason he left was ''lickball'',and that is history.

I want to win as much as possible this year,and Jeff also provides insurance against injury to a guard,which seems to happen a lot. I just do not see him taking minutes away from any of our other guards since they are not really pgs anyway.

pg- Bryce- Jeff
sg- Matt-Devyn-Oglesby
sf- Hubbard-May-McCabe
pf- Basabe-McCabe-White
c- Brommer-Archie-Olaseni

With this kind of depth,Iowa could go ''40 minutes of hell'' getting up and down the court.

Last edited:
Arkansas is going to suck next year. They are going to hardly have any scholarship players. Rotnei Clarke has also asked for his release. I can understand that Jeff doesn't want to have his last year just be a compete rebuild year. Already had enough of that at Iowa.

If he were to come to Iowa, he could take minutes away from a younger player on the roster who could use the minutes to develop. At the same time he would fill a huge need on the team giving Fran a quality proven back-up. It doesn't help Iowa in the 2012 season but he would provide immediate help.

I'm all for it.....because Iowa needs guys who create and break down the defense.

What younger player is he gonna take minutes from? Marble? Who isnt even a real point guard?

What younger player is he gonna take minutes from? Marble? Who isnt even a real point guard?

Agreed - we are in dire need of PG's, so Peterson wouldn't be taking minutes away from anyone, save for giving Cartwright a little more time for a breather during games.

I'd welcome Peterson back without hesitation.

Next two years are critical for our program. Need to show marked improvement under the new regime in order to take the next step on the recruiting trails.

If Peterson can get NCAA approval and has an understanding that he will likely see fewer minutes at Iowa than he saw as a starter at Arkansas then bring him aboard. A running offense needs some quality backups.

I would guess the coaching change at Arkansas has something to do with the Peterson's announcement. Pretty decent bio............

Jeff Peterson - University of Arkansas Athletics

Okay, one more time.

The change is because the Arkansas team is in total rebuild mode.

Think Lick and Fran in year one.

Jeff doesn't want to use his last year of elegibility for that.

It is not Anderson, not playing time, there is just no chance of that team being competitive.

Latest posts