Jeff Horner

OK thanks for the info.

So, this doesn't necessarily mean there will eventually be an Obama University or Trump University then I take it. Whew.

It's much harder to get into than Iowa is. The fact that they are traditionally bad but had a few good teams in a row might be hard on his career. Kirksville is a decent town that is kind of isolated. Kellen Winslow's brother played BB there and was a 6-6 center and got to the final 4 d2 I think. It's a school for business geeks and pre law.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/regional-universities-midwest/best-value

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/regional-universities-midwest
You remember what happened last time Horner was in Carver, right?

Or a D2 game?

Whoops, my bad. There actually is a Trump University. And there probably will some day be a college or university, maybe a predominately black college, named after Obama.

It's much harder to get into than Iowa is. The fact that they are traditionally bad but had a few good teams in a row might be hard on his career. Kirksville is a decent town that is kind of isolated. Kellen Winslow's brother played BB there and was a 6-6 center and got to the final 4 d2 I think. It's a school for business geeks and pre law.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/regional-universities-midwest/best-value

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/regional-universities-midwest

Or a D2 game?

I doubt he will have much trouble. Horner was a career over achiever. That only happens through intense focus and the study of what the gifted call minutia.

That level of basketball as well as just about any level can be dominated by shooting 3's. That level is also conveniently low enough that you don't have to teach guys how to make a ton of moves to get shots off. Get some pure shooters and run clean sets and score in the 80's and you will win more than you lose.

A guy like Ellingson could drop 20 a night in a leauge like that. You don't have to recruit NBA lottery picks to win at that level. I think it's a perfect place for Horner to get his feet wet. Any job at that level of ball would do. This one just happens to be close to home and available.

I have faith that Horner will be able to teach a heavy 3 point offense and develop the shooters to make it go.

I doubt he will have much trouble. Horner was a career over achiever. That only happens through intense focus and the study of what the gifted call minutia.

That level of basketball as well as just about any level can be dominated by shooting 3's. That level is also conveniently low enough that you don't have to teach guys how to make a ton of moves to get shots off. Get some pure shooters and run clean sets and score in the 80's and you will win more than you lose.

A guy like Ellingson could drop 20 a night in a leauge like that. You don't have to recruit NBA lottery picks to win at that level. I think it's a perfect place for Horner to get his feet wet. Any job at that level of ball would do. This one just happens to be close to home and available.

I have faith that Horner will be able to teach a heavy 3 point offense and develop the shooters to make it go.
Horner will have better guards at Truman State than Fran has for us. Mark my words.

I wouldn't call a starter for a team that beat UCLA 2x in a championship year and named conference coach of the year 2x plus getting drafted and signing a contract someone who probably lacks drive. When Jack went to Truman he started out well and couldn't maintain due to the academic standards.

Horner is getting a program in decent shape.

Rob Judson, who actually was my assistant with youth basketball (seriously), also has a lot of drive and competitiveness. He is a nice guy though just like Jack. Rob started out well at NIU (very well), but couldn't maintain. The guy started for very good Big team.

I wouldn't call a starter for a team that beat UCLA 2x in a championship year and named conference coach of the year 2x plus getting drafted and signing a contract someone who probably lacks drive. When Jack went to Truman he started out well and couldn't maintain due to the academic standards.

Horner is getting a program in decent shape.

Rob Judson, who actually was my assistant with youth basketball (seriously), also has a lot of drive and competitiveness. He is a nice guy though just like Jack. Rob started out well at NIU (very well), but couldn't maintain. The guy started for very good Big team.

I don't know any of those people and you maybe right, Horner maybe in over his head, but from my narrow perspective it seems like the fit should be good.

Truman State has a lot of Iowa kids on the roster, and Gatens should be able to recruit Iowa pretty well.

Your premise has a major flaw. Fran has what he wants. He hasn't really not be able. He isn't interested.

lighting is exaggerating and you are off base. JBo was a backup pg pick in '16. Fran was hot after (I believe his name is Moore) and the scuttle butt was that we were in the lead. Then, about a month out from signing day, Fran and Iowa walked away from the kid and landed JBo. So, something happened to cause Fran to walk away. In my opinion, I believe Moore's camp started asking "what else" was in it besides the scholarship. That's my speculation. But why would Fran walk away from his #1 that he was in the lead to land? So, to me, Fran "did the right thing", something kirk gets oodles of credit for, when explaining his sh*tty loses or subpar seasons, but Fran doesn't get the same benefit.

lighting is exaggerating and you are off base. JBo was a backup pg pick in '16. Fran was hot after (I believe his name is Moore) and the scuttle butt was that we were in the lead. Then, about a month out from signing day, Fran and Iowa walked away from the kid and landed JBo. So, something happened to cause Fran to walk away. In my opinion, I believe Moore's camp started asking "what else" was in it besides the scholarship. That's my speculation. But why would Fran walk away from his #1 that he was in the lead to land? So, to me, Fran "did the right thing", something kirk gets oodles of credit for, when explaining his sh*tty loses or subpar seasons, but Fran doesn't get the same benefit.

Sorry but if he repeatedly doesnt land one at a Big school then it is obvious. CM has always been the target pt guard.

KF doesn't get that benefit from me.

Fran probably doesn't get enough credit for his integrity. It's one of his most admirable traits. But he doesn't help himself with his sideline temper and the way he treated the very team that Horner coached for and his terse "body of work" comments when asked legitimate questions and even more terse comments when it comes to Woodbury's eye pokes. Fran has written a few checks with his mouth since the season ended that his ass better be able to cash. Ferentz, while no saint, has done nowhere near as much when it comes to some of this. And Fran, when in the right mood, gives some of the most insightful press conferences around. Kirk gives you Bill Belicek.

Sorry but if he repeatedly doesnt land one at a Big school then it is obvious. CM has always been the target pt guard.
When Fran did try to recruit a point guard, who knows what his recruiting competition was telling those kids. The impending certainty that these kids would be competing against the coach's son was certainly an elephant in the room at times. But even taking Connor out of the equation. Doesn't the "motion offense" that Fran likes to run take a lot of creative freedom from the point guard anyway, especially when it comes to penetrating? Doesn't he prefer a lot of ball screens and passing over fancy dribbling? Some of you know more about this than I do.

When Fran did try to recruit a point guard, who knows what his recruiting competition was telling those kids. The impending certainty that these kids would be competing against the coach's son was certainly an elephant in the room at times. But even taking Connor out of the equation. Doesn't the "motion offense" that Fran likes to run take a lot of creative freedom from the point guard anyway, especially when it comes to penetrating? Doesn't he prefer a lot of ball screens and passing over fancy dribbling? Some of you know more about this than I do.

The players he has arent that good for motion to begin with. Iowas half court motion is terrible. He doesnt seem to like the guys suited for it.

The players he has arent that good for motion to begin with. Iowas half court motion is terrible. He doesnt seem to like the guys suited for it.
Using that basis, you could argue that Iowa's offensive success can largely be attributed to it's own crappy defense creating more possessions for both teams. Kind of the exact antithesis of Todd Lickliter, who's defense couul partially be attributed to his crappy offense creating fewer possessions for both teams.