Jeff Horner Joining Staff...

this was a very nice addition IMO as Fran nearly gets two BBall minds for price of a GA when you add in the insight if his father not to mention potential recruiting connections given how his dad has been coaching at the high school level.

Jeff is a great guy and has a strong passion to be a coach and a strong passion for the Iowa program. Having chatted with him a few times the past two weeks I know he was really hopeful for this opportunity. I think they went with the right guy.

Today's Iowa HS players relate and know more of and to Horner than any of the other names mentioned from Hawkeye past

I am not sure if I agree that Horner has a more name related association with Hawkeye basketball success than a Bowen, Settles or Woolridge...not that it is fair to Jeff but he is associated with the Steve Alford era and he has been out of school for 3-4 years.

However I do think the Horner to GA spot will position FM well with the Iowa HS coaches with Jeff's dad having a very good reputation amongst his peers.

I wouldn't be surprised if you might see FM going with one more former Iowa player as an assistant and then going outside for the third full-time position.

From WDM Valley asst to coaching at Iowa. Nice work. What does a grad asst make?

Typically a GA will receive a stipend and graduate credits to complete a masters degree. Although I believe in Division I basketball there are limits to coaching staff size and you often don't often see a GA role. Should be interesting how the coaching staff finalizes.

Under NCAA rules, graduate assistants are paid an amount equal to a school's full in-state grant-in-aid. In addition, the G.A.s must be full-time students in graduate school.

As for coaching duties, graduate assistants can be like full-time coaches, but they are not permitted to contact or evaluate recruits off campus. G.A.s can phone prospects, though.

Individuals may serve as a graduate assistant coach for a period of not more than two years except that if the individual successfully completes 24-semester hours during the initial two-year period, the individual may serve as a graduate assistant coach for a third year.

I am not sure if I agree that Horner has a more name related association with Hawkeye basketball success than a Bowen, Settles or Woolridge...not that it is fair to Jeff but he is associated with the Steve Alford era and he has been out of school for 3-4 years.

However I do think the Horner to GA spot will position FM well with the Iowa HS coaches with Jeff's dad having a very good reputation amongst his peers.

I wouldn't be surprised if you might see FM going with one more former Iowa player as an assistant and then going outside for the third full-time position.

A high school kid today would have been what 2-4 years old when Settles, Bowen, and Dre played? I doubt many of them know who any of those guys are frankly. Horner has been an Iowa kid his entire life and as you said should have a strong rep across the state of Iowa. Lets not also forget he is one of the best Iowa point guards of all time and his last season led Iowa to an undefeated home record.

Settles, Bowen, Woolridge etc.. have more name recognition to older Hawk fans but the high school kids from Iowa thinking about Iowa bball would definitely remember Horner more, and those are the possible recruits

Today's Iowa HS players relate and know more of and to Horner than any of the other names mentioned from Hawkeye past

I highly doubt this. Nobody reaches 18 year olds like Les Jepsen. Street cred up the ying yang but yet has the ability to talk livestock with the farm kids. I think Jeff is a huge reach, let's hope he works out.

Great for Jeff and for the program. I'm only sorry that he can't recruit off campus as a GA, but he will add more to the in-state recruiting effort than any GA we've ever had!

Ok, so the kids MIGHT know who he is, I hope he can coach too. We just might need that.

What!? We have Fran and will have three other assistant coaches. Jeff will be great at relating to possible recruits in Iowa and to the present players. His coaching abilities are the least important aspect of what he brings to the table. Its not like Fran is going to need him for his X's and O's knowledge.

Im 23 so I know Bowen, Settles and Dre and throw in Horner and you might have 4 of my favorite Hawks of all time. However, if I'm a 16-17 year old kid I will have no idea who anyone is except for Horner.

Not only will the state of Iowa benifit from his recruiting but because his nephew Sam Skogen plays on AAU circuts, Jeff has been to some of his outings and probably has made some relationships with different coaches from other teams. This could be somewhat benifical if his recruiting boundries are allowed outside of the state. Even then, going back to the fact that it hasn't been very long since he has been out of Iowa. He would probably known through out the Midwest because of his playing days at Iowa.
It is a tremendous hire for FM.;)

Seems like a good fit for Jeff and Iowa. He has coaching in his genes,and black and gold in his veins. I will never forget that time he dove on the floor, knocked out a tooth and kept playing. All time assists and three point shooter in Hawk history, Jeff should even command some respect from these young players. Congrats to Jeff!

Latest posts