JBo deserves another thread

From a coaching perspective, I'd call it terrible, but hey, it's an opinion.

Well the best 4 years of team defensive efficiency sharply turned into 3 worst years collectively of defensive efficiency. Maybe Fran stopped teaching any defense, but it seems the actual players have to own a lot of the defensive deficiency.

Well the best 4 years of team defensive efficiency sharply turned into 3 worst years collectively of defensive efficiency. Maybe Fran stopped teaching any defense, but it seems the actual players have to own a lot of the defensive deficiency.
Learning and playing defense is extremely hard work, doesn't have the "show results" of offense, and is most often underappreciated and seldom praised. You need "numbers" to be on the stage for a move up. Thus, defensive proficiency and effort, often in the shadows, isn't a good fit for the millennial snowflakes of today.

Recruiting lock down, defense loving recruits, and coaching to their strengths could be a way for a low to mid tier Midwestern program to find a niche to succeed. Trying to run up and down the court at greyhound speed trying to compete with top tier programs with NBA talent might be fun to watch but most often doesn't have a happy ending. It can succeed if the "threes are falling" but those dazzling sporadic wins are aberrations that mask the talent gap.

Fran, the staff, and the players seem content on racing up and down the court, with mixed results. For most teams with talent, Iowa is like a day off, given there will be little frustrating defensive pressure placed upon them. And if it there, it is often there in spurts until Iowa tires of it or reverts back to their default settings.

In those big games each year (not the cupcakes) Iowa struggles to compete on a regular basis.

Perhaps another philosophy of recruiting and coaching will help Iowa be what they currently aren't.

It sounds like the new PG fits this mold a bit. I look forward to seeing what he brings to the defensive side of Iowa's game. Perhaps it will be contagious.

Im guessing Woodbury was a part of that though his D fundamentals were terrible plus there was a pt guard who had some quick.

Learning and playing defense is extremely hard work, doesn't have the "show results" of offense, and is most often underappreciated and seldom praised. You need "numbers" to be on the stage for a move up. Thus, defensive proficiency and effort, often in the shadows, isn't a good fit for the millennial snowflakes of today.

Recruiting lock down, defense loving recruits, and coaching to their strengths could be a way for a low to mid tier Midwestern program to find a niche to succeed. Trying to run up and down the court at greyhound speed trying to compete with top tier programs with NBA talent might be fun to watch but most often doesn't have a happy ending. It can succeed if the "threes are falling" but those dazzling sporadic wins are aberrations that mask the talent gap.

Fran, the staff, and the players seem content on racing up and down the court, with mixed results. For most teams with talent, Iowa is like a day off, given there will be little frustrating defensive pressure placed upon them. And if it there, it is often there in spurts until Iowa tires of it or reverts back to their default settings.

In those big games each year (not the cupcakes) Iowa struggles to compete on a regular basis.

Perhaps another philosophy of recruiting and coaching will help Iowa be what they currently aren't.

It sounds like the new PG fits this mold a bit. I look forward to seeing what he brings to the defensive side of Iowa's game. Perhaps it will be contagious.

D is the easiest aspect to teach ynless uou really dont know what you are doing.

A quick glance at his sons shooting and dribbling skills leads one to come to a conclusion not far from that premise.

When it comes yo fundamentals he doesnt know what he s doing. His game mgt is suspect to begin with.

Take away Uthoffs landing, Woody, TC and J Bo. ....and his slightly less than 500 game becomes a disaster.

D is the easiest aspect to teach ynless uou really dont know what you are doing.

A quick glance at his sons shooting and dribbling skills leads one to come to a conclusion not far from that premise.

When it comes yo fundamentals he doesnt know what he s doing. His game mgt is suspect to begin with.

Take away Uthoffs landing, Woody, TC and J Bo. ....and his slightly less than 500 game becomes a disaster.

The guy is a D1 coach, he knows how to teach fundamentals and defense. You can argue he doesn't prioritize them enough and have a valid point. But saying a guy doesn't know how to and reached that level is pretty dumb. You always use his kid's shot form as an example of him not knowing fundamentals. Are you really trying to say a D1 coach doesn't know what a good shooting form looks like?

The guy is a D1 coach, he knows how to teach fundamentals and defense. You can argue he doesn't prioritize them enough and have a valid point. But saying a guy doesn't know how to and reached that level is pretty dumb. You always use his kid's shot form as an example of him not knowing fundamentals. Are you really trying to say a D1 coach doesn't know what a good shooting form looks like?
Most often Iowa looks disinterested in defense, spends lots of time reaching, poor boxing out fundamentals, poor understanding of "help defense." Playing tough defense is draining and takes thinking, execution, discipline and team play. It is different than running up and down the court, free flow, hoping to outscore someone who is more talented.

Iowa is not difficult to play against, few teams fear matching up with a team that doesn't have defensive grit.

Most often Iowa looks disinterested in defense, spends lots of time reaching, poor boxing out fundamentals, poor understanding of "help defense." Playing tough defense is draining and takes thinking, execution, discipline and team play. It is different than running up and down the court, free flow, hoping to outscore someone who is more talented.

Iowa is not difficult to play against, few teams fear matching up with a team that doesn't have defensive grit.

I'm not saying Frans coaching good defense. I'm saying he knows how to and chooses to spend more time on offense, which is why we are so good at it. Just like Ferentz spends way more time on fundamentals than most.

I'm not saying Frans coaching good defense. I'm saying he knows how to and chooses to spend more time on offense, which is why we are so good at it. Just like Ferentz spends way more time on fundamentals than most.
Concur. Fran is weak at in game coaching, similar to KF, it limits both teams when facing more adept coaches

OK then explain why his boys shoot like h8gh school females. Have you ever had a boss who got to where they are without knowing what they are doing?

Who sounds dumb? Priorities? Dumb answer.

OK then explain why his boys shoot like h8gh school females. Have you ever had a boss who got to where they are without knowing what they are doing?

Who sounds dumb? Priorities? Dumb answer.

Everyone has a natural shot and you work to get it better. Maybe their natural shots were way worse and Fran worked a miracle to get them to there. Maybe Fran doesn't make time to work on his kids shots. Maybe he tries and they don't listen like a lot of kids. I don't know. But I would bet any amount if money that it's not because Fran doesn't recognize what a good shot looks like.

And you dont think coaches prioritize different things? Of course they do. Fran doesn't prioritize defense and fundamentals like he should. That's why they aren't good at them. It's not because Fran spends the entire practice instilling the wrong techniques because he doesn't know the right ones. Everyone on this board understands defense and fundamentals better than the players display, but you're arguing it's because our D1 head coach and all the assistants don't know what we all know?

Everyone has a natural shot and you work to get it better. Maybe their natural shots were way worse and Fran worked a miracle to get them to there. Maybe Fran doesn't make time to work on his kids shots. Maybe he tries and they don't listen like a lot of kids. I don't know. But I would bet any amount if money that it's not because Fran doesn't recognize what a good shot looks like.

And you dont think coaches prioritize different things? Of course they do. Fran doesn't prioritize defense and fundamentals like he should. That's why they aren't good at them. It's not because Fran spends the entire practice instilling the wrong techniques because he doesn't know the right ones. Everyone on this board understands defense and fundamentals better than the players display, but you're arguing it's because our D1 head coach and all the assistants don't know what we all know?

As much complaining sbout Barta ... he s perfectly capable of hiring a dud.

I can honestly tell you I ve had a D 1 coach be my asst in basketball. I can observe that J Bo, Moss and JW came in with very sound shooting fundamentals. I can assume you dont know much about coaching. Do to my son s team I have seen a lot of high level BB players.

I can tell you that successful coaches work and work at fundamentals. Few get away with not.

Coaches sons most always have the best fundamentals. The fundamentals arent hard to teach. Iowa lacks them badly.

Fran doesnt know them or is an idiot or both.

A normal coach would be embarrassed. I would assume his assts play into the emporer has no clothes. So do some fans.

As much complaining sbout Barta ... he s perfectly capable of hiring a dud.

I can honestly tell you I ve had a D 1 coach be my asst in basketball. I can observe that J Bo, Moss and JW came in with very sound shooting fundamentals. I can assume you dont know much about coaching. Do to my son s team I have seen a lot of high level BB players.

I can tell you that successful coaches work and work at fundamentals. Few get away with not.

Coaches sons most always have the best fundamentals. The fundamentals arent hard to teach. Iowa lacks them badly.

Fran doesnt know them or is an idiot or both.

A normal coach would be embarrassed. I would assume his assts play into the emporer has no clothes. So do some fans.
You're telling me Bohannon, Wieskamp, and Moss have good shooting fundamentals? Wow you must be an extraordinary coach to be able to see that. I don't even know what the hell you're arguing at this point. Are you saying Fran taught his sons to shoot like that? That's your stance? That Fran spent the last 15 years molding his kid's shot into what he considers the perfect form?

Just to be clear, my stance is that Fran doesn't think his kids have good shooting form. I think Fran is an average to slightly above average P5 coach (which means he's a damn good coach) who would be even better if he put more of a priority on defense and fundamentals.

By the way, Wieskamp's shot form is a tad bit off to me. Puts the ball too far behind his head, a bit of a slow release, and a bit too much arch on his shot.

Remember that goofy kid from Northwestern who had the dumbest shot ever? I wonder why the coach at the time was so good at teaching everyone else good form but went out of his way to jack up his form.

You're telling me Bohannon, Wieskamp, and Moss have good shooting fundamentals? Wow you must be an extraordinary coach to be able to see that. I don't even know what the hell you're arguing at this point. Are you saying Fran taught his sons to shoot like that? That's your stance? That Fran spent the last 15 years molding his kid's shot into what he considers the perfect form?

Just to be clear, my stance is that Fran doesn't think his kids have good shooting form. I think Fran is an average to slightly above average P5 coach (which means he's a damn good coach) who would be even better if he put more of a priority on defense and fundamentals.

I hate to beat up one post too bad, but what do you mean you have had a D1 coach work under you? Are you trying to tell me that a D1 coach quit his Jon 5o learn from you? If so, I call bull shit. More than likely you mean that some random dude started being your assistant, was a natural, then went on to bigger and better things (all while you stayed put). If so, what does that have to do with anything? Does that make you cool, or smarter than everyone because you had a guy use you as a stepping stone then leave you in his dust? It says a lit about him, but it says absolutely nothing about you. So again, what was your point of even adding that to your post?

Not everyone who gets a good job (check the Prez) is good at what he does. No coach worth a shit would ever allow

his D1 kids to shoot like an Iowa 6 on 6 player. You will not convince me otherwise. I'm guessing Margaret taught them. He's an idiot and demonstrates that a lot. He has recruited decent players outside of the point. He gets some bonus points for being IOWA's coach and a solid program.

Not everyone who gets a good job (check the Prez) is good at what he does. No coach worth a shit would ever allow

his D1 kids to shoot like an Iowa 6 on 6 player. You will not convince me otherwise. I'm guessing Margaret taught them. He's an idiot and demonstrates that a lot. He has recruited decent players outside of the point. He gets some bonus points for being IOWA's coach and a solid program.

Correct not everyone who gets a good job is good at what he does. Good thing we already have results for Fran (and the Prez) and while neither are doing a great all around job, they're doing way too good at the level they are at to consider bad.

Well at least you finished with a strong point.

Margaret did teach the boys to shoot. It's been published. Fran has 4 years to correct their shot. That work with Connor could already be evident in his lack of shooting confidence. I also doubt that Fran gives 2 shits either way. He and his family are set for life.

Well at least you finished with a strong point.

Margaret did teach the boys to shoot. It's been published. Fran has 4 years to correct their shot. That work with Connor could already be evident in his lack of shooting confidence. I also doubt that Fran gives 2 shits either way. He and his family are set for life.

Cant argue except when you shoot low you stand a good chance of being blocked. dpped and good D likely acct for more of the confidence issued.

Cant believe he never told his son to quit shooting like a girl.