JBo deserves another thread

oregonhawkeye

I was reading some of the serious crap on here from a minority of fans downplaying the potential loss of Bohannon for next year. It's a good read, that thread, but it this point needs to be made.

This guy wins freaking games.
I don't give a flying funk what you say about his foot speed or defense or win shares.
He wins us games.
He's a freaking weapon. Seriously freaking underutilized.
The best ball handler on the team three years running, no one else close. Setting assists/TO records. Spent incredible energy being the only real 1 on the team for three years. You're welcome.
The best shooter in the conference.
Probably the best clutch scorer in college bball last year. That's of like 4000 rostered players.
Sure, he's not great on D. Join the freaking Hawkeye club. He's fine in team D, so play zone and move on.
He brings real heart and effort and attitude.
And he played freaking hurt.

Screw you if you don't appreciate what he has given and can give to this team.

I was reading some of the serious crap on here from a minority of fans downplaying the potential loss of Bohannon for next year. It's a good read, that thread, but it this point needs to be made.

I don't give a flying funk what you say about his foot speed or defense or win shares.
He wins us games.
The best ball handler on the team three years running, no one else close. Setting assists/TO records. Spent incredible energy being the only real 1 on the team for three years. You're welcome.
Probably the best clutch scorer in college bball last year. That's of like 4000 rostered players.
Sure, he's not great on D. Join the freaking Hawkeye club. He's fine in team D, so play zone and move on.

Put down the wine cooler, Becky. I hope you’re not driving home.

Give some stats to support what you’re saying.

Last edited:

He wins us games.

How far can you see from up there on that soap box?

He wins us games.

Why do you always make up BS about what others are supposedly saying?

Fascinating. I clearly missed the mark with my post.
Windsor- it's only a soapbox if you're not buying what I'm saying. Again, I was speaking of a minority of fans.
1h1- nope, I've never made up the BS you refer to.
Fry- Hmm, would stats turn your view? I don't think so.

I just wanted to shout out JBo's relevance and contribution, and defend him. I stand by that.

Fry- Hmm, would stats turn your view? I don't think so.
More than you posting while intoxicated.

We get it...you're a hardcore Bohannon fan, got a few Steveweisers in you, and decided to give those Hawkeyenation fucks the what for. No shame in it, just own it.

I don't think anyone is downplaying this woeful off-season, JBo was a big shock to me, but we as fans have no control over that. If posters are seeing a future without JBo next year, isn't it better than jumping off a ledge? I'm honestly excited to start this journey with the team. My expectations are tempered for next year without our team leader, but I'm going to try to enjoy the season anyway.

I hope the best for the guy, and I hope he is healthy, but I'm not going to think Iowa basketball is dependent upon Bohannon. People have been saying how bad a defensive player he was, and I guess he has a bonafide reason for it with his hip.

I hope the best for the guy, and I hope he is healthy, but I'm not going to think Iowa basketball is dependent upon Bohannon. People have been saying how bad a defensive player he was, and I guess he has a bonafide reason for it with his hip.
It's not just any physical deficiency he may of had. He has never had to want to attitude to play defense, never had that bulldog tenacity. I remember how he had to expend considerable energy trying to check Cassius Winston and the announcers were saying it was clearly affecting his offense. His defensive instincts are below average as well. And he lets the ball get inside way too easily because he lacks simple fundamentals, like getting his hand up to discourage post entry feeds.

His strengths are on the offensive end. Always will be. That hip certainly wasn't affecting his shot. Maybe in the Maryland game where I clearly remember him taking a vicious shot on the baseline either setting a screen or trying to get over one.

windmills.jpg

It's not just any physical deficiency he may of had. He has never had to want to attitude to play defense, never had that bulldog tenacity. I remember how he had to expend considerable energy trying to check Cassius Winston and the announcers were saying it was clearly affecting his offense. His defensive instincts are below average as well. And he lets the ball get inside way too easily because he lacks simple fundamentals, like getting his hand up to discourage post entry feeds.

His strengths are on the offensive end. Always will be. That hip certainly wasn't affecting his shot. Maybe in the Maryland game where I clearly remember him taking a vicious shot on the baseline either setting a screen or trying to get over one.

You just described multiple Hawks on D. Starts at the top.

You just described multiple Hawks on D. Starts at the top.

It's systemic. Some of the effort needed to play defense should inevitably be taught as fundamentals. We have seen even a lack of this for several years running.

Funny tidbit. I watched 15 minutes of TC workouts for the NBA. His defense was consistently better than 15 consecutive minutes we ever saw him in an Iowa jersey.

I believe Fran is an average defensive coach. When he gets a batch of kids that don't buy in to the average defensive teachings then we get the shit show defense we have seen 3 years running. Hopefully a nucleus change can change that buy in level.

It's systemic. Some of the effort needed to play defense should inevitably be taught as fundamentals. We have seen even a lack of this for several years running.

Funny tidbit. I watched 15 minutes of TC workouts for the NBA. His defense was consistently better than 15 consecutive minutes we ever saw him in an Iowa jersey.

I believe Fran is an average defensive coach. When he gets a batch of kids that don't buy in to the average defensive teachings then we get the shit show defense we have seen 3 years running. Hopefully a nucleus change can change that buy in level.

Agree totally cept Fran being average. Hand and foot placement is so critical and Hawks are terrible at both. Eye poking results.

I would love to have JB get healthy, sitting out a year, and come back ready to go and serve as the best sixth man in the country. He would be a great fit for that, instant offense, won't be worn down like he has been. Won't be required to guard players who can jet by him. He can be the feature player on a deep Iowa squad bringing scoring, leadership, experience.

Fran and defense? They don't seem to be a good fit.

I would love to have JB get healthy, sitting out a year, and come back ready to go and serve as the best sixth man in the country. He would be a great fit for that, instant offense, won't be worn down like he has been. Won't be required to guard players who can jet by him. He can be the feature player on a deep Iowa squad bringing scoring, leadership, experience.

Fran and defense? They don't seem to be a good fit.
Kind of like Jeff Moe?

Moe could shoot and bring energy, making him an ideal sixth man. His first two years, under Raveling, he would begin the year in the starting lineup, but his defensive deficiencies would be exposed and he would inevitably find himself coming off the bench.

Davis didn't out-think what was a simple situation. He simply made Moe his sixth man from the get go and he thrived in that role. And he stayed in it much of his senior year even after Kevin Gamble graduated. Moe, Michael Reaves, and Bill Jones all played the sixth man role at various times during their 1988 senior season. Jones even ended up playing the four, at 185 lbs, after another senior Al Lorenzen had to give it up because of his back early in the conference season.

Kind of like Jeff Moe?

Moe could shoot and bring energy, making him an ideal sixth man. His first two years, under Raveling, he would begin the year in the starting lineup, but his defensive deficiencies would be exposed and he would inevitably find himself coming off the bench.

Davis didn't out-think what was a simple situation. He simply made Moe his sixth man from the get go and he thrived in that role. And he stayed in it much of his senior year even after Kevin Gamble graduated. Moe, Michael Reaves, and Bill Jones all played the sixth man role at various times during their 1988 senior season. Jones even ended up playing the four, at 185 lbs, after another senior Al Lorenzen had to give it up because of his back early in the conference season.
Perhaps Moeish.

A sixth man who can come in with energy, play shut down defense or make some big shots, is very valuable. The difficulty is finding such a player who can produce on a moment's notice and be emotionally mature enough to relish the role. JB could be such a player, a shooter, who can shoot and score and who isn't afraid to shoot, having the confidence needed to let it fly. Keeping him more fresh in such a role makes sense. He isn't the quintessential PG type, more of an undersized lights out shooter, who could play PG or SG in spells, and effectively.

Perhaps Moeish.

A sixth man who can come in with energy, play shut down defense or make some big shots, is very valuable. The difficulty is finding such a player who can produce on a moment's notice and be emotionally mature enough to relish the role. JB could be such a player, a shooter, who can shoot and score and who isn't afraid to shoot, having the confidence needed to let it fly. Keeping him more fresh in such a role makes sense. He isn't the quintessential PG type, more of an undersized lights out shooter, who could play PG or SG in spells, and effectively.
I agree, and so does Dick Vitale. He said decades ago that it takes a special kind of mental makeup to swallow your ego as the starters are being introduced, then be ready to come off the bench cold and light up the night. Not just any hotshot shooter can do it. It takes more than that.

At 6'1" with limited quicks and athleticism, it takes energy expending movement, and the intelligence to be able to read screens and read the defense, for a player like Bohannon to be able to get his shots off. He does have that deceptive little step back dribble in his arsenal to buy a little space. Being an 85% free throw shooter doesn't hurt either. Perhaps less can be more with Bohannon, and save him physically. Less minutes, less defensive responsibility, less responsibility to facilitate the offense.

I agree, and so does Dick Vitale. He said decades ago that it takes a special kind of mental makeup to swallow your ego as the starters are being introduced, then be ready to come off the bench cold and light up the night. Not just any hotshot shooter can do it. It takes more than that.

At 6'1" with limited quicks and athleticism, it takes energy expending movement, and the intelligence to be able to read screens and read the defense, for a player like Bohannon to be able to get his shots off. He does have that deceptive little step back dribble in his arsenal to buy a little space. Being an 85% free throw shooter doesn't hurt either. Perhaps less can be more with Bohannon, and save him physically. Less minutes, less defensive responsibility, less responsibility to facilitate the offense.
He gets burned out playing tons of PG minutes. Save him for sharpshooting with fresh legs!

Agree totally cept Fran being average. Hand and foot placement is so critical and Hawks are terrible at both. Eye poking results.

Well technically the coaches who teach the nuances of defense are the above average or great coaches. So I thought it proper to place Fran in the average category.

Well technically the coaches who teach the nuances of defense are the above average or great coaches. So I thought it proper to place Fran in the average category.

From a coaching perspective, I'd call it terrible, but hey, it's an opinion.