Jarryd Cole

LG210

Worst game of his career?

C'mon Jarryd, you are WAY better than you played tonight. Re-group and bring it against Indy.

Agreed...It's the first time I can recall where he seemed like he didn't want to compete. I don't know if there unknown factors, like maybe he's sick or something, or maybe the foul situation caused it and it only seems like the reverse was true...I dunno...just wasn't a good night all around and JC's lack of effect stood out to me.

His best year was as a freshman, and thats the story of Iowa basketball in recent years. No development of talent, if it even stays put.

Go back to Jepsen, Earl, James Winters, etc. Some couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time when they got to Iowa and ended up in NBA. Now, you get what you see for 4 years, or less.

His best year was as a freshman, and thats the story of Iowa basketball in recent years. No development of talent, if it even stays put.

Go back to Jepsen, Earl, James Winters, etc. Some couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time when they got to Iowa and ended up in NBA. Now, you get what you see for 4 years, or less.

He is not as good as any of the afore mentioned players, also each one of those players had help that made them better. Cole is trying to play out of position with no other help in the post. Not surprising that he didn't have a good game against two post players pushing 7 foot with pretty good skills.

Brommer did a much better job because he has 3 inches on Cole, that was the only reason.

Not trying to make excuses but Jarryd has been through hell and back in the past 4 yrs. He was recruited by Alford, then when he left inherited the Lick experiment, survived a major knee injury, and now has another new coach and system, throughout it all he has handled it with class and effort, he is not tall enough or skilled enough to be an impact player in the Big Ten, but you have to wonder if the last few years have worn him out, I also worry about Gatens, These guys have been thru 3 yrs of butt-whuppins, how much fight is left in them? The Hawkeyes are a really decent Horizen or MVC team.

Not trying to make excuses but Jarryd has been through hell and back in the past 4 yrs. He was recruited by Alford, then when he left inherited the Lick experiment, survived a major knee injury, and now has another new coach and system, throughout it all he has handled it with class and effort, he is not tall enough or skilled enough to be an impact player in the Big Ten, but you have to wonder if the last few years have worn him out, I also worry about Gatens, These guys have been thru 3 yrs of butt-whuppins, how much fight is left in them? The Hawkeyes are a really decent Horizen or MVC team.

I wasn't trying to pick on Jarryd.

I just don't think he played up to his potential last night and for Iowa to have a chance to win, all of its players need to play up to their potential, particularly the inside players.

Cole, quite simply, is better than what he played last night.

Also, I don't think that Iowa wins that game even if Cole has the game of his life because OSU is that much better than Iowa, but we can beat Indiana if everyone brings it.

Just a thought...I watch him run up and down the court and keep thinking he's playing the wrong sport. Any chance he takes a look at the NFL as a tight-end? Highly unlikely I understand, but it has been done before.

Cole hasn't really been effective much of the year. Been rebounding well at times, but he's barely averaging 15-20 minutes a game now.

He has 9 points and 7 rebounds combined in the last 4 games.

He's had a good game here and there, but overall not been extremely effective for Iowa this year.

I wonder if Jarryd wouldn't be better served coming off the bench. I certainly don't want to dog the guy. He's given his all for 4 years through thin and thinner, plus has battled numerous injuries. I also know he's a center with the height of a small forward and the build of a LBer.

Cole hasn't really been effective much of the year. Been rebounding well at times, but he's barely averaging 15-20 minutes a game now.

He has 9 points and 7 rebounds combined in the last 4 games.

He's had a good game here and there, but overall not been extremely effective for Iowa this year.
Probably time to let Brommer get the start and tell Cole to clean up his minutes with all the effort he has. He's always been a very hard worker and in flashes did well but always outsized and outskilled and had to play almost all the game.
AB played more like Basabe. With an attitude. If your going to lose ,lose with respect. Don't back down and dish the punishment not take it.
Honestly BC,MB and tonight AB played to demand respect. MG,DM,ZM and EM have played very hard and gutsy most of the season but its not the same.They need to add the aggressiveness that demands the respect of the officials and opponents.

Last edited:
next question is what's wrong with May?
His BB style is more like a more athletic Gatens. He needs space to operate and isn't getting it. He needs to pay more attention to BC and force contact and use it to his advantage. Play the game more like football.
In fishing they call it "match the hatch".
In bb its simply do unto them what they do unto you.
Brommer battled Sully last night and did not back down. Basabe,Cartwright and Marble have played alot more street ball and its obvious in the B10 games. Our homegrown Iowa kids very seldom play games with that level of contact and it shows.I think AB just finally got to play a game with some contact where he didn't get whistled for 3 fouls in 4 mins of play.
Oh and I think Eric is still hurting from the injury.

Probably time to let Brommer get the start

I don't think so. Cole has paid his due and he has EARNED his starting spot. I could see a change if Iowa was in the race, but they're not. It would be a slap in the face if he was pulled out of the starting lineup. They're going to struggle with him starting or coming off the bench, so he deserves to start.

Probably time to let Brommer get the start

I don't think so. Cole has paid his due and he has EARNED his starting spot. I could see a change if Iowa was in the race, but they're not. It would be a slap in the face if he was pulled out of the starting lineup. They're going to struggle with him starting or coming off the bench, so he deserves to start.

I really like and have liked Jarryd's game since he first came to Iowa. He always brought an energy level that seemed lacking with some of the other players over the last few years. That said, "9 points and 7 rebounds combined in the last 4 games, does not nor should it gauruntee anyone a starting spot.

I agree with the poster that said, sit Jarryd and have AB start a game to mix things up. If Jarryd really wants to start, there is nothing that should get him fired up more than not starting. Besides no one deserves a starting spot if they are not producing...

But I don't see him out there going through the motions. He is still hustling and giving a good effort, but his numbers are down because he can't stay out of foul trouble. He is asked to play out of position and guard guys taller and more athletic.

I think that Fran has to look at next year,and that means that Brommer must be forcefed as many minutes as possible.
I say start Andrew vs the more physical types in the post...like Sully,MSU,Wisky,Minny,and PU...at minimum.
I would like to see what Brommer can do as the starter.
Jarryd has all my respect,but he is in a funk...he is captain and will understand if Fran starts Brommer.

Latest posts