Jarrod Uthoff: Coincidence, Probably Not - Sportsillustrated

Impossible to prove, yet clearly tampering? Pick which way to want to go. If it's clear, turn em in.

Yes I've heard from people on the team that knew Jarrod Uthoff was being courted by Iowa through third parties. Typically where there's enough smoke there is fire. Also the coaches from the other schools mentioned in the article knew that Jarrod was just going through the motions with them and that Iowa had made promises to Jarrod Uthoff. I believe the Creighton coaches even commented on it in the media.

As the article states Jarrod had the chance to go to schools much higher on the pecking order than Iowa (Iowa State, Creighton, etc). The fact that he chose to go to Iowa paints the only picture you need to see.

You probably think Calipari is clean too right? I mean it hasn't been proved he has been recruiting illegally has it? Right.

I would wager he didn't. Someone else as a go between? Won't debate that. Fran himself? Nope

You would have to be a complete and total idiot as a coach to do that sort of thing in person and I don't think Fran is that stupid. Do you think Calipari pays his recruits with checks from his own personal checking account? "make check payable to Anthony Davis' Mom" No, he's smart enough to know how to break the rules.

Again, this type of thing would be impossible to prove. That's why it should be mandatory for non-graduate transfers to sit out a season. Otherwise this type of thing would be 1 million times worse.

Who was teh clown on here that tried telling me that there is no way Fran contacted Jarrod?

Anyone who has been around high level D1 sports knows that Fran had been talking to him well prior to him "walking on". My question? Who cares. I'm glad Fran is getting his elbows dirty. We need that. Lick didn't do that and we didn't get good players. Fran is and we are getting better players. Keep it up Fran, I have no issues with you bending the rules a bit in our favor.

Thar was me that said you have no idea if Fran contacted him directly or not. I also said there was probably some 3rdarty contact, but I doubted and have not seen any evidence of direct contact.....only conjecture

You would have to be a complete and total idiot as a coach to do that sort of thing in person and I don't think Fran is that stupid. Do you think Calipari pays his recruits with checks from his own personal checking account? "make check payable to Anthony Davis' Mom" No, he's smart enough to know how to break the rules.

Again, this type of thing would be impossible to prove. That's why it should be mandatory for non-graduate transfers to sit out a season. Otherwise this type of thing would be 1 million times worse.

Hahahaha.....so is Bo paying Brust out of his back pocket? Bo tampered with Brust, so he must be paying him!

Fran was on one of the local radio shows in DesMoines a while back (may have been Garman and Cotlar) and said that they communicated indirectly and that it was a pain, but that they made sure everything was done the way the NCAA said it should be and that Jarrod knew he was welcome at Iowa. It's a non story as far as the NCAA goes.

Fran was on one of the local radio shows in DesMoines a while back (may have been Garman and Cotlar) and said that they communicated indirectly and that it was a pain, but that they made sure everything was done the way the NCAA said it should be and that Jarrod knew he was welcome at Iowa. It's a non story as far as the NCAA goes.

I doubt Fran said that as he would know that it's a violation. You cannot directly or indirectly contact a committed player that has not been granted a release to your school.

I think Fran is smart enough to know that. He skirted the rules I am sure but impossible to prove and it doesn't matter anyway, all parties have moved on.

"Luke Winn" comes across as a snarky little twit to be tossing all of this up now.

I'm glad, though, that Fran has raised the stakes and the profile of Iowa basketball enough that the guttersnipes are out taking potshots.

But Waaaaaaaaaaasabbe says Fran contacted him directly, and Activebadger says Fran is paying him....who is a guy to believe? I mean this come right from the intereb, so those two HAVE to be in the know, right? :rolleyes:

But Waaaaaaaaaaasabbe says Fran contacted him directly, and Activebadger says Fran is paying him....who is a guy to believe? I mean this come right from the intereb, so those two HAVE to be in the know, right? :rolleyes:

Who said anyone was paying Uthoff? I said you'd be an idiot to think Fran didn't contact him but I doubt he's going to leave a trail about it. Just like Calipari isn't going to leave a trail that he pays his players.

I don't think Uthoff is being paid but I'm confident people got into his ear and woo'ed him with guarantees of playing time and Uthoff probably was easily swayed knowing Wisconsin had such a big time recruit coming in that played his exact same position (Sam Dekker). Bo doesn't make any promises or guarantees. He's a lot like your football coach in that regard.

Who said anyone was paying Uthoff? I said you'd be an idiot to think Fran didn't contact him but I doubt he's going to leave a trail about it. Just like Calipari isn't going to leave a trail that he pays his players.

I don't think Uthoff is being paid but I'm confident people got into his ear and woo'ed him with guarantees of playing time and Uthoff probably was easily swayed knowing Wisconsin had such a big time recruit coming in that played his exact same position (Sam Dekker). Bo doesn't make any promises or guarantees. He's a lot like your football coach in that regard.

So you are admitting that Bo tampered with Brust.

It is obvious that Uthoff wanted to be at Iowa. What can Iowa promise that Uthoff can't get at Wisky, or ISU, or Florida, or Creighton? Nothing is the answers, PLUS Uthoff has to pay for a year of school at Iowa, that he wouldn't have to pay at any of the other places. Nothing Iowa could say or do, would make Uthoff come to Iowa.......EXCEPT if Iowa was the only place he wanted to be.

Now let's talk about how Bo promised Brust playing time and tampered with him.

So you are admitting that Bo tampered with Brust.

It is obvious that Uthoff wanted to be at Iowa. What can Iowa promise that Uthoff can't get at Wisky, or ISU, or Florida, or Creighton? Nothing is the answers, PLUS Uthoff has to pay for a year of school at Iowa, that he wouldn't have to pay at any of the other places. Nothing Iowa could say or do, would make Uthoff come to Iowa.......EXCEPT if Iowa was the only place he wanted to be.

Now let's talk about how Bo promised Brust playing time and tampered with him.

What can't he get at Iowa? The difference between Iowa and all those other programs is that those other programs are all routinely in the upper division of their conferences and NCAA tournament teams. Iowa is the lone black sheep in that regard and the writer clearly makes a point in stating the obvious.

I doubt Fran said that as he would know that it's a violation. You cannot directly or indirectly contact a committed player that has not been granted a release to your school.

I think Fran is smart enough to know that. He skirted the rules I am sure but impossible to prove and it doesn't matter anyway, all parties have moved on.

During Jarrod's red-shirted season he got to watch 2 games between the Badgers and Hawkeyes, Bo's style wins games, but I'm pretty sure Jarrod decided he wanted to play under Fran's style, which just happens to be 1/2 hour from his home and family , plus he had good friends playing and reporting positive things on the team. Uthoff for Brust seems fair to me.

What can't he get at Iowa? The difference between Iowa and all those other programs is that those other programs are all routinely in the upper division of their conferences and NCAA tournament teams. Iowa is the lone black sheep in that regard and the writer clearly makes a point in stating the obvious.

The obvious is he regrets going to BOring U and wanted to play for and go to Iowa. Why else would a kid choose to pay his own way, when he can get a full ride everywhere else? No amount of tampering can cause a kid to make him pay 10's of thousands of $$$ to come to your school, when everyone else is offering a full ride.

The only case of obvious tampering is Bo contacting Brust as soon as Lick was fired. He could promise him playing time, and a full ride. Do you think Brust would have come to Wisky if he would have had to pay for a year of school?

Brust was never an enrolled student at Iowa and never committed to Fran McCaffery. That should be pretty obvious but apparently it isn't to most on this board. Uthoff was an enrolled student at Wisconsin and actually was on Wisconsin's team for a full season. If you can't see that difference I simply don't know what to do for you.

Bo Ryan could legally contact Ben Brust. So could Tubby Smith and Bill Carmody and both of those Big Ten coaches also did. Brust was never an enrolled student at Iowa.

Keep on trying to steer the conversation away from the original post though. And good luck with actually trying to become a relevant basketball program.

Maybe if Iowa wasn't so "boring" you wouldn't have to offer the students free pizza to attend games between a border rival?

Last time I checked Wisconsin sold out it's games before the season even starts.

Brust was never an enrolled student at Iowa and never committed to Fran McCaffery. That should be pretty obvious but apparently it isn't to most on this board. Uthoff was an enrolled student at Wisconsin and actually was on Wisconsin's team for a full season. If you can't see that difference I simply don't know what to do for you.

Bo Ryan could legally contact Ben Brust. So could Tubby Smith and Bill Carmody and both of those Big Ten coaches also did. Brust was never an enrolled student at Iowa.

Keep on trying to steer the conversation away from the original post though. And good luck with actually trying to become a relevant basketball program.

Bo most certainly could NOT contact Brust, not after he signed his LOI, and before Iowa granted him a release from his LOI. Bo obviously contacted Brust before that to let him know he would have a scholarship waiting for him, or he would have never left Iowa, if he wasn't guaranteed a landing spot with BOring U.

Sour-Grapes.jpg

And good luck with actually trying to become a relevant basketball program.

Dude! You joined this board in June. You've posted 101 times on this board as of this post in no more than 90 days. And you are not a fan of the program that this board is for. So, if we're not relevant, what are you doing here? Your words say one thing, your actions say quite another. So, in my view, this means one of 2 things:

1. We are relevant and you can see the storm coming, or;
2. You're just not very bright.

I don't see any other possibilities. Flattering ones, anyway.

Latest posts