Jared Clauss Reflects on 2009 Season & More

Great article Jared. I, too, have often been bothered and embarassed by the booing of fans at Kinnick. Why would you boo a team when thay have not even had a chance to take the field and do something worthy of it. I always want other teams and their fans to think Iowa fans have as much class as our team does. I also do not want people to think that those of us who would boo are representative of Iowa as a whole. Visiting fans will get a negative impression of our state based on the way we fans react to them and their team. I know I was brought up better than that and I want to think all my fellow fans were too.

In the plus column is a little-remarked piece of Hawkeye sportsmanship: the Hawkeye Band playing the opponent's fight song during its pregame show, while in a "Howdy" formation.

It's been a tradition for decades, dating back at least to the Tom Davis era (60's/70's). I've never seen another school do it, and it's taken for granted by Iowa fans, but it makes a hugely positive impression on our visitors.

Fans and class almost never go together in the same sentence. Class and hostile often do not go together in the same sentence. Hostile and homefield advantage a lot of times but not always go together. Would you rather have a classy, but at the same time probobly lifeless fan base to cheer for our team or a hostile and probobly energetic fan base? I do not mean to condone behavior such as throwing objects at people or things of that nature but a little booing is not sticks and stones.

Would you rather have a classy, but at the same time probobly lifeless fan base to cheer for our team or a hostile and probobly energetic fan base?

Neither. I'd rather have a classy, energetic and incredibly loud fan base in a sold-out stadium, as I witnessed in Kinnick throughout the 80's.

I agree with all of the above and especially that booing teams shows no class.

I posted a similar message in the "Let's start a new tradition" thread.

I only get to a couple of games each year as I live out of state but when I hear fans around me booing the other team, I say something. You should see the amazed look on their faces. They usually do stop but I think they feel like I am "weird" for saying anything.

These teams that we boo are young men, 18-22, that for the most part are doing positive things with their lives. Even if there is nothing wrong with booing, I think it shows no class on our part. Being a fan at a game should be about celebrating our team, not being negative to other teams.

As Hawkeyes, I would like to think that we are educated, social and decent folk. IMHO, we don't need to act like some other school fans that spew hate and negativism.

I do think that most Iowa fans are Good People and if WE just begin to comment to anyone we see booing, we can stop this Un-Iowa behavior.

I booed. But I was NOT booing Georgia Tech. I was booin the fac that they switched the camera on the Big Screen off the award ceremony to the camera in the locker room.

I know the other people in my section booed for the same reason. Everybody might want to reconsider if the booing really was about GT or rather a really stupid decision by an on-sight producer.

I booed. But I was NOT booing Georgia Tech. I was booin the fac that they switched the camera on the Big Screen off the award ceremony to the camera in the locker room.

I know the other people in my section booed for the same reason. Everybody might want to reconsider if the booing really was about GT or rather a really stupid decision by an on-sight producer.

This is why I said what I said on the first page - I wondered if it wasn't just some bad timing on fans booing for another reason. It was uncharacteristic for Iowa fans to boo the team they just beat........they typically save that for their own team/coaches....... :(

Latest posts