Jared Clauss on the Hawkeyes

Let's go back to the starting point...

1. The point was stated, we are a young team that's why we are struggling.

2. I rebutted that we were not and gave stats showing we are at least 50/50 upper and lower classmen.

3. I then demonstrated Alabama won a national championship with the same make-up of classmen that Iowa currently has. Therefore, trying to establish youth has little to do with a team's success.

4. Then someone stated Alabama gets better players than Iowa and to compare Iowa to Alabama is absurd. (The problem with this point is it has nothing to do about youth so this person is basically reinforcing my point that our lack of success has little to do about youth)

New Data
5. Northern Illinois beat us with 7 Freshmen, 13 sophomores, 16 Juniors and 12 Seniors. Hardly an "experienced team". But hey we can't compete against the type of athletes NIU can recruit.

WE ARE NOT A YOUNG TEAM!!!!!!

Additionally, I will never give into the premise that Iowa has to have a majority of Jr. & Sr. in order to produce a winning season. If the only way Iowa can be competitive is to have a majority of upperclassmen, no injuries, no transfers out, three year lead time to learn/run offensive scheme, and have the solar equinox occur on the 3rd Friday of October then KF is not as good of a coach as we would all like to think.

Based off your user name, as well as your analysis and logic of this particular situation, I am inclined to believe you may not have played sports. Question for you: Are all tubas created equally?

Based off your user name, as well as your analysis and logic of this particular situation, I am inclined to believe you may not have played sports. Question for you: Are all tubas created equally?

Your assumptions about me are incorrect.

2. I rebutted that we were not and gave stats showing we are at least 50/50 upper and lower classmen.

3. I then demonstrated Alabama won a national championship with the same make-up of classmen that Iowa currently has. Therefore, trying to establish youth has little to do with a team's success.

4. Then someone stated Alabama gets better players than Iowa and to compare Iowa to Alabama is absurd. (The problem with this point is it has nothing to do about youth so this person is basically reinforcing my point that our lack of success has little to do about youth)

New Data
5. Northern Illinois beat us with 7 Freshmen, 13 sophomores, 16 Juniors and 12 Seniors. Hardly an "experienced team". But hey we can't compete against the type of athletes NIU can recruit.

Fact: We are a developmental football team. Always have been, even back to Hayden's days.
Fact: Development takes time. A typical Iowa player will take 2-3 years (when including a redshirt year) to truly reach both their physical potential as well as their football potential (true understanding of the game).
Fact: 50% of our current 2 deep is made up of Freshman and Sophomores.
Fact: We lost nearly an entire recruiting class to attrition and 2 others close to that one just plain stunk.
Fact: When a developmental team like Iowa loses that many players and misses on that many players in back to back to back classes, it will take a toll.
Opinion: Our last couple of recruiting classes appear to be very solid, so assuming they stay, I think we will see an upward trajectory in wins and overall play on the field.

New Data
Yep I am the one making the faulty comparison. Totally on me not the guy comparing Alabama fresman to iowa freshmen.

Your point is quite solid. As solid as jello

Yep I am the one making the faulty comparison. Totally on me not the guy comparing Alabama fresman to iowa freshmen.

Your point is quite solid. As solid as jello

So then what's the excuse for Northern Illinois? Is that a faulty comparison for you as well?

So then what's the excuse for Northern Illinois? Is that a faulty comparison for you as well?

From a statistical standpoint, most teams don't overcome turnover deficits of 3-1. And since, right now we're still a mediocre team, then the odds are that much greater.

They lost.
It happens.

Believe it or not iowa is develppmental program. To say otherwise is silly. To ask why iowa fresh & sophs are not as good as alabamas is beyond silly.

It's a combination of youth and inexperience. But the talent is there, you can see it. This years senior class is better than last years as well which should help. I think if the secondary can come together this is going to be a pretty good D.

Fact: We are a developmental football team. Always have been, even back to Hayden's days.
Fact: Development takes time. A typical Iowa player will take 2-3 years (when including a redshirt year) to truly reach both their physical potential as well as their football potential (true understanding of the game).
Fact: 50% of our current 2 deep is made up of Freshman and Sophomores.
Fact: We lost nearly an entire recruiting class to attrition and 2 others close to that one just plain stunk.
Fact: When a developmental team like Iowa loses that many players and misses on that many players in back to back to back classes, it will take a toll.
Opinion: Our last couple of recruiting classes appear to be very solid, so assuming they stay, I think we will see an upward trajectory in wins and overall play on the field.

We get 85 scholarships to use. There are 48 players listed on the two-deep. These 48 should be carrying the heavy workload of playing time. Leaving 37 remaining scholarships. One would think a "developmental team" should be using at least 30 scholarship on players "being developed" that won't show up on the two-deeps with much frequency.

If 50% of our two-deeps are underclassmen than either; A) We've got some really dynamite underclassmen or B) Our development of the current upperclassmen stunk.

We get 85 scholarships to use. There are 48 players listed on the two-deep. These 48 should be carrying the heavy workload of playing time. Leaving 37 remaining scholarships. One would think a "developmental team" should be using at least 30 scholarship on players "being developed" that won't show up on the two-deeps with much frequency.

If 50% of our two-deeps are underclassmen than either; A) We've got some really dynamite underclassmen or B) Our development of the current upperclassmen stunk.
Note to self: take tubahawk off list of posters to read

They lost.
It happens.

Believe it or not iowa is develppmental program. To say otherwise is silly. To ask why iowa fresh & sophs are not as good as alabamas is beyond silly.

First, I never said Iowa underclassmen were as good as Alabama's. I wasn't advocating Iowa should be winning a national championship with this team. I do think given the "seniority" of this team we should have some semblance of competitiveness in the B1G this year. After watching this team the first two weeks I worry that may not be the case.

This team seems to have many issues and reasons it is struggling. Youth is not one of them. This is a good mixture of young and experienced. Many other teams we face will have the same mixture as us,

For example, Northern Illinois. I don't hear anyone calling them a young team.

Note to self: take tubahawk off list of posters to read

Because heaven forbid you have a discussion with someone who disagrees with you.

I've rattled of data establishing why Iowa doesn't fit the label of young team. For that I've been deemed, silly, solid as jello, and unworthy to comment because my username suggest I've never played any sports.

SpiderRico is the only poster to come back with any rationale to support his argument.

Because heaven forbid you have a discussion with someone who disagrees with you.

I've rattled of data establishing why Iowa doesn't fit the label of young team. For that I've been deemed, silly, solid as jello, and unworthy to comment because my username suggest I've never played any sports.

SpiderRico is the only poster to come back with any rationale to support his argument.
the disagreement part is not the problem. Your points are nonsensical.

The problem with your thinking is that redshirt sophomores are being counted as underclassmen. Most of the sophomores on the depth chart are RS Sophs. Most of the true freshman and redshirt freshman/true Sophs are not on the depth chart. There are only 6 of those on defense, one because of injuries (king) and most are on the dline where there had been a lot of attrition.

On offense there are three RS Fr/ true Sophs. Two of those are Bc they are really good, Beathard and Ward and Smith bc they are thin at receiver.

Most of the players not in the two deep are Fr and RS Fr.,RS Soph.
About 35 by my count

All players from 2009 and 2010 classes still on the team are on the two deep. This is exactly how it should be at a mostly developmental school like Iowa.

There of course will always be a few really good young players that break through but most of the two deep is players in their 3rd through 5th year in the program.

First, I never said Iowa underclassmen were as good as Alabama's. I wasn't advocating Iowa should be winning a national championship with this team. I do think given the "seniority" of this team we should have some semblance of competitiveness in the B1G this year. After watching this team the first two weeks I worry that may not be the case.

This team seems to have many issues and reasons it is struggling. Youth is not one of them. This is a good mixture of young and experienced. Many other teams we face will have the same mixture as us,

For example, Northern Illinois. I don't hear anyone calling them a young team.

Inexperience is one problem and mental mistakes. That's why I think this team gets better as the year goes on.

The problem with your thinking is that redshirt sophomores are being counted as underclassmen. Most of the sophomores on the depth chart are RS Sophs.

There of course will always be a few really good young players that break through but most of the two deep is players in their 3rd through 5th year in the program.

Doesn't that support the argument this isn't a young team? If I understand you correctly, you're saying while they are listed as sophomores they are really in the 3rd year (Junior year) of the program.

Doesn't that support the argument this isn't a young team? If I understand you correctly, you're saying while they are listed as sophomores they are really in the 3rd year (Junior year) of the program.

Yes it does.
They are just inexperienced mostly. Look at the Oline, most of those guys besides Van Sloten haven't played many games, Rudock is inexperienced, there is inexperience in the receiver core as well.
Breakdowns in the secondary by Lomax, Lowdermilk and King are a combination of youth and inexperience.

I don't blame Clauss for sugarcoating. I'd do the same thing if I were him. If you were ever a part of the hawkeyes, you don't say the brutal truth about the head coach. So you won't hear an ex hawk say anything even remotely bad about Hayen or kf. I understand that and I respect them for being loyal.
As a Hawkeye fan, I don't agree with this at all. When Hayden and KF screw up the Iowa Hawkeyes, I let them know it. What has the Hawkeye coach done for Iowa lately?

Latest posts