Jared Clauss on the Hawkeyes

As a Hawkeye fan, I don't agree with this at all. When Hayden and KF screw up the Iowa Hawkeyes, I let them know it. What has the Hawkeye coach done for Iowa lately?
When you say you let them know it are you saying you actually contact them? As in letters or phone calls to call in shows. Or do you mean here or are you saying you stop buying tickets to protest.

I never vested enough time or desire to any of these besides message boards or tickets. Of course my buying tickets is a choice i make and not one i put on the coaches.

I don't blame Clauss for sugarcoating. I'd do the same thing if I were him. If you were ever a part of the hawkeyes, you don't say the brutal truth about the head coach. So you won't hear an ex hawk say anything even remotely bad about Hayen or kf. I understand that and I respect them for being loyal.

I remember he (Jared) did some of these last year and that seemed to be a very popular opinion. I believe we had just lost to Central Michigan (?) and his little report was WAY too rosy for a lot of people. The main conclusions drawn last year is that this is his opinion and nothing more...it's not necessarily for everyone.

Additionally, I will never give into the premise that Iowa has to have a majority of Jr. & Sr. in order to produce a winning season. If the only way Iowa can be competitive is to have a majority of upperclassmen, no injuries, no transfers out, three year lead time to learn/run offensive scheme.... then KF is not as good of a coach as we would all like to think.

This isn't a vacuum...all teams are not operating from the same talent pool to start the year, then the rest is up to coaching. What you are saying you won't give into above has pretty much been the formula for Iowa winning for the last 30 years. and likely will be into the foreseeable future. Iowa has not been able to recruit with the best of the best, and that's not likely to change. Iowa has a much smaller margin for error as it relates to attrition, and that is not likely to change.

Just because you want to cross your fingers and close your eyes and wish it were not so, that's not going to change the reality of the situation.

This isn't a vacuum...all teams are not operating from the same talent pool to start the year, then the rest is up to coaching. What you are saying you won't give into above has pretty much been the formula for Iowa winning for the last 30 years. and likely will be into the foreseeable future. Iowa has not been able to recruit with the best of the best, and that's not likely to change. Iowa has a much smaller margin for error as it relates to attrition, and that is not likely to change.

Just because you want to cross your fingers and close your eyes and wish it were not so, that's not going to change the reality of the situation.

At the risk of taking this thread in a completely different direction that has been discussed ad nauseam here's why I struggle accepting that premise.

Any, (to be fair I should say, most) coaches will be successful with a team filled with a majority of upperclassmen. It doesn't take a highly skilled coach to win when you have an ideal team filled with experienced talent. A skilled coach (as I consider KF to be) should also be able to be successful in those less than ideal situations. In some cases we have overcome that adversity (next man in mentality, particularly with RB injuries), but as of late it doesn't seem like we can recover from common occurrences like injuries.

It does take coaching skill to develop players, something KF and his staff have a history of doing very well. But if KF is as good of a coach as we would like to think, then in my opinion, he should be able to do more when he has less (talent) and not rely on needing a heavily weighted upperclassmen team.

I should also quantify what I deem "successful". I don't have any pipe dream this team should be a National Championship contender. I do think this team (or a team of this class make-up) should be a contender to represent the Legends division in the B1G Championship game. (Please note: I said contender, not expected or favored to win the legends division).

But if KF is as good of a coach as we would like to think, then in my opinion, he should be able to do more when he has less (talent) and not rely on needing a heavily weighted upperclassmen team.

Good observation. kf has proven that he will coach every team the same way no matter what the talent level is, save that season where they ran out of running backs. But in recent history (2010) he proves that he can't even win a lot with a talented team.

I think we have seen some pretty big changes in the last couple years. Who would have dreamed he would use a No Huddle ? Seems like we are blitzing more this year too. As far as winning the last few years. Cant argue much there. Time will tell if the changes and the retooling of the staff work

I think we have seen some pretty big changes in the last couple years. Who would have dreamed he would use a No Huddle ? Seems like we are blitzing more this year too. As far as winning the last few years. Cant argue much there. Time will tell if the changes and the retooling of the staff work

No doubt about the changes. Hopefully it will pan out. As important, I hope it's sustainable.